The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Hi, I wondered if someone could help me.

I managed to secure a stewarding place just now, however, when filling out my application it asks me to choose a training day. All days are after the festival ends and the office is now closed so I can't call them. What do I do now? Should I just choose one and call them in the morning? I don't want to lose my space..

It also says there is a tight timeline for filling out the form - does anyone know how long you get?

Thanks in advance ! I'm shaking with excitement right now!

8 minutes ago, Emlajane said:

I managed to secure a stewarding place just now, however, when filling out my application it asks me to choose a training day. All days are after the festival ends and the office is now closed so I can't call them. What do I do now? Should I just choose one and call them in the morning? I don't want to lose my space..

It also says there is a tight timeline for filling out the form - does anyone know how long you get?

You may be able to do the training on line

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Emlajane said:

You can do it online. You may get an email tonight, more likely tomorrow but definitely call them in the morning.  Start filling in your festival profile right now, you don’t get long, maybe 24 hours. You need to think about a reference and let that reference know and email is on its way and needs responding to ASAP.

Well done! I went through the same a few days ago!

On 6/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Supreme2 said:

if you have google chrome, download a web monitor called distill and set up to track the my festivals page, make sure you’re logged in obviously and set the refresh speed to the lowest which is 5 seconds and then keep that page open on another tab, you’ll then get a ping every time the page changes. You can add an instant email notification aswell so make sure you have pop up notifications on your phone so if you’re away from your PC you can still see the ping in your phone, so whenever there is a change make sure you give it a refresh and hope it’s glastonbury! 

Dude - thanks to your advice my remaining ticketless friend got an Oxfam spot a little earlier. Thanks again for posting this advice - made everyone’s day at my end.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, March Hare said:

You can do it online. You may get an email tonight, more likely tomorrow but definitely call them in the morning.  Start filling in your festival profile right now, you don’t get long, maybe 24 hours. You need to think about a reference and let that reference know and email is on its way and needs responding to ASAP.

Well done! I went through the same a few days ago!

Hi, thank you so much this is very helpful!

I was also wondering what happens with the shifts? What day will we definitely need to be there and till when? I need to confirm my annual leave with work ASAP. Thank you again!

3 minutes ago, Emlajane said:

I was also wondering what happens with the shifts? What day will we definitely need to be there and till when? I need to confirm my annual leave with work ASAP. Thank you again!

Arrive Tuesday latest (aim for lunchtime I would suggest), leave on Monday.

2 minutes ago, Emlajane said:

You will get loads of info as part of the training, I’ve not volunteered before but from what I understand you get issued your shifts on arrival. You can arrive on Monday or Tuesday for registration. It’s three shifts but the pattern etc you will find out on site.  I think you will need the following Monday off as you could end up with a shift into the early hours of Monday (that last bit is an educated guess).

15 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Dude - thanks to your advice my remaining ticketless friend got an Oxfam spot a little earlier. Thanks again for posting this advice - made everyone’s day at my end.

It’s honestly my pleasure! It seems everyone’s perseverance has paid off and so it should! See you all at the farm!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Will be heading down Tuesday afternoon straight from work, hoping the shift gods are kind!

Anyone know what the traffic is like on Tuesday? 

What time are you heading down? I’m going Tuesday afternoon probably around 2ish.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

What time are you heading down? I’m going Tuesday afternoon probably around 2ish.

About the same time, I work about an hour away in Wiltshire so hoping to be on site and sorted by 4ish, traffic permitting. 

You driving? I'll drop you a message when I'm there

6 minutes ago, Padgey said:

About the same time, I work about an hour away in Wiltshire so hoping to be on site and sorted by 4ish, traffic permitting. 

You driving? I'll drop you a message when I'm there

Yeah I’ll be driving from Worthing (Brighton area), which is about 2.5 hours ish away. Maybe I’ll leave earlier, I’ll see how the morning goes. 

I’ll drop you a message too mate. 

2 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

10th Glastonbury and first volunteering so excited to do it different. Will be on the Oxfam bus 12pm Monday from Bristol - perfect reason to tin off I think! Beers on Monday?

Snap! Thought I was gonna miss my first one since I started in 2008. Can't wait to take a walk round the site Monday.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

5pm? Where’s that from? Seems a bit tight but I assume you’ll be fine!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

5pm? Where’s that from? Seems a bit tight but I assume you’ll be fine!

It's from Bristol. I assume it'll make the briefing if Oxfam have put it on? Although I'm more interested in a bar crawl...

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

Those who got last minute places..  what time did the place pop up..  just wondering how late I need to be keeping an eye on my alerts.

1330 for me, not sure if it is manual releases or if they are automated. If manual likely to be roughly 9-5 (massive guess!)

Edited by March Hare