The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

On 6/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Supreme2 said:

if you have google chrome, download a web monitor called distill and set up to track the my festivals page, make sure you’re logged in obviously and set the refresh speed to the lowest which is 5 seconds and then keep that page open on another tab, you’ll then get a ping every time the page changes. You can add an instant email notification aswell so make sure you have pop up notifications on your phone so if you’re away from your PC you can still see the ping in your phone, so whenever there is a change make sure you give it a refresh and hope it’s glastonbury! 

Where is the my festivals page? Can't see it anywhere! 

26 minutes ago, Mardy505 said:

Where is the my festivals page? Can't see it anywhere! 

Once you’ve made an account login into myfestivals.oxfam.org.uk and monitor that page, it’s just pinged a few times in the past 10 mins so there might be a few spaces coming up. If not if you trust me i can log into your account and do it for you as it’s asks for a code to pay from your phone instead of asking for card details!

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Still awaiting my bloody recycling crew letter. Mild panic now. 

The facebook group is saying that they have contingency even if your letter somehow got lost. They'll still have your info on site!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Still no letter here either... I don't even see why we need paper letters. It's 2019! What's wrong with an email!?

Crazy isn't it. Apparently they have gone out 2nd class and a large batch went out late on wednesday so i think they could arrive tomorrow. If they dont arrive by tomorrow I've been told to email Fiona and they will use their contingency plans to get us on site. Just means it would be a bit of a pain getting the car park pass and going back to the car. 

15 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Still no letter here either... I don't even see why we need paper letters. It's 2019! What's wrong with an email!?

Not meaning to add to your worries but best you know that I got my letter last week, and my mate, living in a different part of the country, got his in the same post.  You really should be getting it soon, I'd have thought.

21 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Me again - I've just remembered that a few years back my letter did go missing. I contacted Fiona and she sent me a pdf of the letter, which I printed out and used to get myself in. If it doesn't turn up, I would suggest going that route.

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Crazy isn't it. Apparently they have gone out 2nd class and a large batch went out late on wednesday so i think they could arrive tomorrow. If they dont arrive by tomorrow I've been told to email Fiona and they will use their contingency plans to get us on site. Just means it would be a bit of a pain getting the car park pass and going back to the car. 

I'm arriving by train, so I don't, at least, have the hassle of faffing with car park tickets. They have our names and photos etc., and I think they do email people who are overseas. It just seems bonkers to go to the time and expense of printing letters when you can get on an aeroplane or a gig or a million other things with a code on a phone.

Anyway, if it's not here tomorrow lunchtime when the postman comes I'll email Fiona. My train is pre-booked and can't be changed, so I'm rocking up at the Red Gate at 11.30am on Monday no matter what... :D

4 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I'm arriving by train, so I don't, at least, have the hassle of faffing with car park tickets. They have our names and photos etc., and I think they do email people who are overseas. It just seems bonkers to go to the time and expense of printing letters when you can get on an aeroplane or a gig or a million other things with a code on a phone.

Anyway, if it's not here tomorrow lunchtime when the postman comes I'll email Fiona. My train is pre-booked and can't be changed, so I'm rocking up at the Red Gate at 11.30am on Monday no matter what... :D

Yeah email Fiona tomorrow if no sign of it. Theres 4 of us across 3 different addresses but all on the same team who haven't received them yet so we will be doing that tomorrow so assume that will mean an email back with mentioned pdf to print out.

We are arriving Sunday and have planned it all out so will be there regardless :lol:

Currently emailing every company possible to get a volunteering post. signed up for those chrome alerts for Oxfam that was mentioned above.

I sadly had a ticket but had to let it go because of work. turns out now i can go!!! worst feeling ever!

6 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

My letter has arrived. Hurrah!

It was posted first class and postmarked yesterday, so perhaps some little porky-pies were told about them all being sent last Wednesday... but anyway, we're all good.

Well done you. Mind you there must have been a lot to post. Were they posted later than normal this year ?

15 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Well done you. Mind you there must have been a lot to post. Were they posted later than normal this year ?

It does feel late this year. I'm fairly sure it's been earlier in June in the past.

That said, I think some paying punters are still waiting for their tickets as well - that seems late too.

Hi there - few questions re Oxfam stewarding. Unbelievably excited!

Similar to a few people above, myself and my stewarding pal are also transporting some tents down to the site on Tuesday, but I'm little confused as to whether or not we will be able to set these up (shifts permitting) to make sure people are where they want to be? For clarity, when will there be able to access the site - I know there are bars etc we're able to get to? I have previously camped onsite (when working for Guardians of Gaia) before the gates were open to the public. Will this not be possible?

Forgive my ignorance - a bit crazy the lack of communication, but thank god I have a ticket at all. Hope you all have a great time.

24 minutes ago, oxfamsteward1991 said:

Similar to a few people above, myself and my stewarding pal are also transporting some tents down to the site on Tuesday, but I'm little confused as to whether or not we will be able to set these up (shifts permitting) to make sure people are where they want to be? For clarity, when will there be able to access the site - I know there are bars etc we're able to get to? I have previously camped onsite (when working for Guardians of Gaia) before the gates were open to the public. Will this not be possible?

Forgive my ignorance - a bit crazy the lack of communication, but thank god I have a ticket at all. Hope you all have a great time.

You'll have access to the site but any tents that are put up there before the gates open to the public will be removed.

Have a good one!

1 hour ago, oxfamsteward1991 said:

General view seems to be you’ll get them on site ok, but any attempt to put them up runs the very real risk of them being removed. So for me it’s a case of if I’m not working then getting them to a decent spot and waiting until the gates open. You’ll have a good head start on everyone so won’t be a problem. 

If though you are working then it’s tricky. I’ve got someone back stage who’s going to store them for my friends to collect, but without that it would be a case of them all having to wait until our shift finishes for me to retrieve them from the car. 

And of course we won’t know which shifts we have until we get there! The only other thing I can think of is to ring your mates if you are working and get one of them to arrive and park in one of the east car parks,  before the early shift starts and you meet them there or in the queue  

6 hours ago, oxfamsteward1991 said:

You can't put tents up in advance. Security under strict instructions to remove.

Thanks to everyone on this group! Managed to get hold of an Oxfam Stewarding role last weekend. Been to Glasto before but I wouldn’t have even thought to check without the prompts on here. 

Having missed out on coach tickets (twice) and general tickets (twice) I couldn’t be happier volunteering. It’s something I hadn’t thought to do but now I’m just as exciting about helping Oxfam as I am being in the festival.

I’d been answering people’s questions in the “questions” chat knowing I wasn’t going. Looks like it was good karma!

Been bouncing up and down for days! :)