The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

15 hours ago, incident said:

The only thing you'd receive by physical mail would be a parking pass - you won't get sent a ticket. Apparently the parking passes were sent out this week and started arriving today. You should get an E-Mail with arrival instructions at some point - the main batch went out last week, I imagine another "mop up" batch will go out at some point soonish to the late additions like yourself.

That's exactly what happened, I got my parking pass in the post today. Thanks mate.

Up for a meet up.  Failed to get tickets but managed to score a Oxfam Stewards volunteering job with my mate so chuffed to be there at all.  My mate has just pulled out so it look like I'm going solo.  We be my 12th Glastonbury, 2nd solo but 1st volunteering and I am little bit nervous.  Mainly with fitting fun and frolics around shifts etc,  especially after a potential overnight shift.  Not getting any younger (47).  Arriving on the Tuesday Hoping to come out of the festival with a "would love to volunteer again" attitude.  Bring it on, can't really think about anything else at the moment.  This is normal!  Particularly looking forward to having the car close by,. Could be a game changer. See you all in the Oxfield!

5 minutes ago, rebus said:

Up for a meet up.  Failed to get tickets but managed to score a Oxfam Stewards volunteering job with my mate so chuffed to be there at all.  My mate has just pulled out so it look like I'm going solo.  We be my 12th Glastonbury, 2nd solo but 1st volunteering and I am little bit nervous.  Mainly with fitting fun and frolics around shifts etc,  especially after a potential overnight shift.  Not getting any younger (47).  Arriving on the Tuesday Hoping to come out of the festival with a "would love to volunteer again" attitude.  Bring it on, can't really think about anything else at the moment.  This is normal!  Particularly looking forward to having the car close by,. Could be a game changer. See you all in the Oxfield!

I’m in the same boat as you mate, volunteering on my own. It’ll be great, we’ll have an amazing time I’m sure!

Me too, very regular Glasto goer. Worked a couple of times solo before and quickly found out there's plenty of friendly people to hang out with, so it's not an issue. The shift patterns and subsequent rest periods will affect what you can and can't see, so the secret is try and enjoy the periods when you are working. Previously I've just compared what I do as my normal job, compared with the job your given at the festival and on balance I'd much prefer to be at Worthy Farm. FYI I'm 48.

Hello! My girlfriend has secured a volunteer place through Oxfam, which is great and she's buzzing, but she's also feeling a bit anxious about not knowing a great deal and because she's going alone so it'd be great if anyone could give us a bit more info -

-- The carpark pass makes it seem like the carpark she'll be in is way off site, is this true?

-- Will other people be able to go to her car with her when we arrive on the Wednesday as she would be taking some bits and pieces down for the rest of us arriving then?

-- Will she receive any shift details before she gets there, or is this is now for information she will receive prior to going?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give!!

8 minutes ago, Arcticz Liam said:

Hello! My girlfriend has secured a volunteer place through Oxfam, which is great and she's buzzing, but she's also feeling a bit anxious about not knowing a great deal and because she's going alone so it'd be great if anyone could give us a bit more info -

-- The carpark pass makes it seem like the carpark she'll be in is way off site, is this true?

-- Will other people be able to go to her car with her when we arrive on the Wednesday as she would be taking some bits and pieces down for the rest of us arriving then?

-- Will she receive any shift details before she gets there, or is this is now for information she will receive prior to going?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give!!

If you are on Facebook have a look for Oxfam Festivals Chat which has loads of people in the same boat.

To answer your questions:

Parking for Oxfam stewards is right next to Oxfam campsite which is just outside of the fence. I don't think anyone else is able to access the Oxfam parking, they can't access Oxfam campsite either. Your girlfriend will be expected to camp in the Oxfam campsite.

Unless she applied for and got the early pre festival shifts (which it doesn't sound like) she won't find out shifts until on site.

I'm stewarding for the first time and going solo, so no expert but this is all info I've gleaned from the Facebook page which has plenty of experienced stewards

Edited by Wurzelcat
Typo

14 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

If you are on Facebook have a look for Oxfam Festivals Chat which has loads of people in the same boat.

Parking for Oxfam stewards is right next to Oxfam campsite which is just outside of the fence. I don't think anyone else is able to access the Oxfam parking, they can't access Oxfam campsite either. Your girlfriend will be expected to camp in the Oxfam campsite.

Unless she applied for and got the early pre festival shifts (which it doesn't sound like) she won't find out shifts until on site.

I'm stewarding for the first time and going solo, so no expert but this is all info I've gleaned from the Facebook page which has plenty of experienced stewards

Thanks for this, appreciate it, I'll pass it on. Do you, or does anyone, have any idea where the camp/carpark is located outside the site? 

It's in the east side of the site, just above windinglake farm, nearest pedestrian gate is PGB. I'd post a pic but for some reason can't figure out how to do so on this site.

I think the parking is the purple 4 next to the green block which is the camping

Edited by Wurzelcat

35 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

It's in the east side of the site, just above windinglake farm, nearest pedestrian gate is PGB. I'd post a pic but for some reason can't figure out how to do so on this site.

I think the parking is the purple 4 next to the green block which is the camping

I think you're talking about here, is that right?

Screenshot_20190616_100032.jpg

2 hours ago, Wurzelcat said:

It’s my first time too but from what I’m aware this is pretty much it. I have a feeling the car park is right next to the campsite so it’s all pretty close.

Does anyone know the score with getting on and off the site on the Tuesday? Do you/can you go via Marys gate? I hear the main gates are locked the night before but I assume you can still come and go otherwise how do you get back to your tent after the bar crawl? 

Im also taking a load of tents with me for friends with regular tickets coming by Coach. Can you get straight from the car park to the main site or do you go though the oxfam field? I’m planing on passing them to a mate Tuesday evening who’s working in Arcada for them to pick up on their way in later Wednesday via gate c. Assume that’s pretty do-able? I know there’s a good chance i’ll be working so don’t want them to have to hang about till I’ve finished my shift before they can get set up!

also first time for me and my mate volunteering after many years of going. Really looking forwards to trying it a different way! 

Regarding the Car Park questions above - unless things have changed then yes the public can access it.

Purple 4 (or if it changes, this will likely still apply to whichever one they use this year) becomes "staff" by virtue of the fact that it's generally the first one filled up and so is full of staff cars by the time any public arrive. But public can (indeed, in some cases need to) access it as they walk through it from their cars parked further out. There'll also be a fair few public cars parked in P4 by the end of the weekend - after the initial rush, as people leave and return, they'll just be directed wherever there's space.

If you're bringing tents for a friend, and might be on shift Wednesday morning, have them bring a spare key and use what3words to let them know the location of the car.

51 minutes ago, smudger said:

Does anyone know the score with getting on and off the site on the Tuesday? Do you/can you go via Marys gate? I hear the main gates are locked the night before but I assume you can still come and go otherwise how do you get back to your tent after the bar crawl? 

The gates do get locked Tuesday night. Can't remember what time, but you can get out. The main gates are shut but a  normal sized door within the main gates is used. In the past I've gone back out though PGB or sometimes VG2 (right next to it)

On 6/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Supreme2 said:

if you have google chrome, download a web monitor called distill and set up to track the my festivals page, make sure you’re logged in obviously and set the refresh speed to the lowest which is 5 seconds and then keep that page open on another tab, you’ll then get a ping every time the page changes. You can add an instant email notification aswell so make sure you have pop up notifications on your phone so if you’re away from your PC you can still see the ping in your phone, so whenever there is a change make sure you give it a refresh and hope it’s glastonbury! 

Have been lurking for a while but had to sign up just to say thank you so much for this tip! Managed to get 2 mates oxfam spots over the last 48 hours using this method.

(Also as of this exact minute there are still oxfam glasto spots available if anybody is quick enough!)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, incident said:

Regarding the Car Park questions above - unless things have changed then yes the public can access it.

Purple 4 (or if it changes, this will likely still apply to whichever one they use this year) becomes "staff" by virtue of the fact that it's generally the first one filled up and so is full of staff cars by the time any public arrive. But public can (indeed, in some cases need to) access it as they walk through it from their cars parked further out. There'll also be a fair few public cars parked in P4 by the end of the weekend - after the initial rush, as people leave and return, they'll just be directed wherever there's space.

If you're bringing tents for a friend, and might be on shift Wednesday morning, have them bring a spare key and use what3words to let them know the location of the car.

Forgive my ignorance but...what3words?

1 hour ago, Amnesic_Toad said:

Have been lurking for a while but had to sign up just to say thank you so much for this tip! Managed to get 2 mates oxfam spots over the last 48 hours using this method.

(Also as of this exact minute there are still oxfam glasto spots available if anybody is quick enough!)

The please is mine! Glad you got sorted!

• Like 1