The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Has anyone else gotten an early volunteering spot with Oxfam? I got an email telling me to go down on the Saturday!! I’ve done Glasto before but this is my first year solo - now I’m nervous I’ll be spending 9 days alone camping.

Someone pls be my friend, don’t make me drink alone, haha.

4 hours ago, kforkirsten said:

Has anyone else gotten an early volunteering spot with Oxfam? I got an email telling me to go down on the Saturday!! I’ve done Glasto before but this is my first year solo - now I’m nervous I’ll be spending 9 days alone camping.

Someone pls be my friend, don’t make me drink alone, haha.

I'm not early shifting, but I think there's a fair few of us on here solo volunteering!

22 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

Does anyone know about the workers bar wristbands you can get? Swear there’s one near Arcadia 

Congrats a getting a place! Only got a mine a few weeks back, amazing that your perseverance has paid off - have you just been refreshing and refreshing? My first time volunteering but following various threads and FB pages to work things out. The Arcadia one is called Tow & Hitch - has its own FB page.

Hoorah for getting places!! I only got mine a few weeks ago and it still doesn't seem real! 

It's me and my friend's first time volunteering, we've both been going as punters for years though. My first was 2008, his was 2000, and we've have been lucky enough to go to every one after that, but didn't get a ticket this year. 

Maybe we need a First Timers Camping Group!! :)

49 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

Does anyone know about the workers bar wristbands you can get? Swear there’s one near Arcadia 

You'll get into (most) of the crew bars with just your wristband, occasionally you'll need your Oxfam ID.

1930 Monday - meet the crowd outside the marquee to join the bar crawl - look out for the inflatable animals...

4 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Maybe we need a First Timers Camping Group!! :)

About half of stewards will be first-timers, and a good chunk of those will be coming solo.  We're a friendly lot in the main, just get stuck in and you'll soon make new friends.

48 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Congrats a getting a place! Only got a mine a few weeks back, amazing that your perseverance has paid off - have you just been refreshing and refreshing? My first time volunteering but following various threads and FB pages to work things out. The Arcadia one is called Tow & Hitch - has its own FB page.

Refreshing and refreshing! I then set up a page notification to ping when there was a change on the website and it finally paid off!

21 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

Refreshing and refreshing! I then set up a page notification to ping when there was a change on the website and it finally paid off!

That's awesome. What page monitor did you use? As there was a drop-down to select Glastonbury so not specifically a change to the page, I didn't think one would work.

24 minutes ago, Janaka said:

That's awesome. What page monitor did you use? As there was a drop-down to select Glastonbury so not specifically a change to the page, I didn't think one would work.

Distill mate, chrome app store!

9 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Can workers pitch tents in the public areas on the Tuesday? 

No, I don't think so

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Can workers pitch tents in the public areas on the Tuesday? 

Nope- security will remove any tents that have been pitched prior to the gates opening on the Wednesday morning

14 minutes ago, dondo said:

Nope- security will remove any tents that have been pitched prior to the gates opening on the Wednesday morning

Saw this first hand on the Tuesday night in 17, someone trying to be cheeky at the top of the Pyramid field and security coming over and moving them along, they had tried to set up 3 tents as well 

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

You'll get into (most) of the crew bars with just your wristband, occasionally you'll need your Oxfam ID.

1930 Monday - meet the crowd outside the marquee to join the bar crawl - look out for the inflatable animals...

About half of stewards will be first-timers, and a good chunk of those will be coming solo.  We're a friendly lot in the main, just get stuck in and you'll soon make new friends.

I'm really looking forward to making new festival friends!! 

28 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Saw this first hand on the Tuesday night in 17, someone trying to be cheeky at the top of the Pyramid field and security coming over and moving them along, they had tried to set up 3 tents as well 

Ha i remember this as well! 

Out of interest are any of the normal campsite crew from Hawkwell/ Michael's mead on here? 

So excited for this year, like @lucyginger been going since 2008 and first time volunteering, I've been on such a buzz since getting in with Oxfam a few weeks back when it seemed all was lost.

So glad to see many of us secret resale / compitition thread refugees have managed to get in, I reckon we will all have to have a celebratory meet up!

I did join the Oxfam watts app group to try and get to know a few people before going, but I've ended up leaving the group. There's about a 100 messages an hour on there and just couldn't be arsed to get involved, they chat more twaddle than we do.

20 minutes ago, DwayneSmokingRocksJohnson said:

I may have got a late place with Water Aid, just wondering if anyone's knows the location of the Water Aid camp?

It's in Brimley's Orchard, next to Tom's Field and behind the farmhouse.

23 minutes ago, mazola said:

So excited for this year, like @lucyginger been going since 2008 and first time volunteering, I've been on such a buzz since getting in with Oxfam a few weeks back when it seemed all was lost.

So glad to see many of us secret resale / compitition thread refugees have managed to get in, I reckon we will all have to have a celebratory meet up!

I did join the Oxfam watts app group to try and get to know a few people before going, but I've ended up leaving the group. There's about a 100 messages an hour on there and just couldn't be arsed to get involved, they chat more twaddle than we do.

Yeah, 5 weeks ago we weren't going and now IT'S HAPPENING!! :) 

Celebratory meet up def in order!! 

9 hours ago, mazola said:

did join the Oxfam watts app group to try and get to know a few people before going, but I've ended up leaving the group. There's about a 100 messages an hour on there and just couldn't be arsed to get involved, they chat more twaddle than we do.

There’s a “mute” function on WhatsApp you can activate to avoid the constant pinging. Yes there’s a lot of overexcited (understandable really) chat on there but a few people have really been helpful - I have some especially complex logistics to work through so getting insight from them has been invaluable.