The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

Just now, stuie said:

One of my lot has space in their tent in main camping so whilst I'll be based in Oxfam with my stuff, I don't see the harm in crashing there if it happens but I wouldn't go and set up camp elsewhere.

well that's just it, if I was off my tits late at night and not able to move, and at my mates camp I could potentially crash there for a few hours then return to my workers camp but don't get why you'd need to set up camp elsewhere!

2 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

A friend of mine volunteered in 2017 and whilst she did all her shifts, she left staff camping to come camp with us and was swiftly removed from site. Security descended fairly quickly once they were aware. 

My understanding is you need to comply with all conditions (so all shifts & staff camping) otherwise you'll be removed and potentially banned from volunteering in the future. 

Really? That seems a bit draconic? Out of interest, who were they volunteering for? 

I've only ever volunteered with Oxfam before so my knowledge is limited, but im pretty sure i was able to sleep outside of staff camping if i wanted too? Apart from the night before my morning shift i'm pretty sure i ended up crashing in my friends tent over in normal camping each night. I'm sure as long as i turned up to all of my shifts in a fit state (which i did) i was free to roam wherever during my free time?

5 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Really? That seems a bit draconic? Out of interest, who were they volunteering for? 

I've only ever volunteered with Oxfam before so my knowledge is limited, but im pretty sure i was able to sleep outside of staff camping if i wanted too? Apart from the night before my morning shift i'm pretty sure i ended up crashing in my friends tent over in normal camping each night. I'm sure as long as i turned up to all of my shifts in a fit state (which i did) i was free to roam wherever during my free time?

I know you're not supposed to but that does seem a bit extreme.

I expect they are watching for people leaving OxCamp with all their bags and tents on Wednesday morning though!

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I know you're not supposed to but that does seem a bit extreme.

I expect they are watching for people leaving OxCamp with all their bags and tents on Wednesday morning though!

Don't really want to say a lot about this, but in the specific instance being referenced it wasn't for Oxfam.

2 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

A friend of mine volunteered in 2017 and whilst she did all her shifts, she left staff camping to come camp with us and was swiftly removed from site. Security descended fairly quickly once they were aware. 

My understanding is you need to comply with all conditions (so all shifts & staff camping) otherwise you'll be removed and potentially banned from volunteering in the future. 

your claiming your friend had completed all her shifts ' and then left staff camping ' 

so how the hell would security be able to find her ?

and which security ?

and which day was this ?

Once a person has completed all their shifts and there has been no problems then they can do whatever they want to do.

sure at the start of the festival there is a good reason why there is crew camps but later on they would be lucky if they could find a empty space to put a tent up.

I have seen people removed only because they have gone missing for a shift without explanation or if its due to theft.

I have never heard of anyone being Hunted down in the way you describe - there is parts of this story missing.

1 minute ago, glasto-worker said:

your claiming your friend had completed all her shifts ' and then left staff camping ' 

so how the hell would security be able to find her ?

and which security ?

and which day was this ?

Once a person has completed all their shifts and there has been no problems then they can do whatever they want to do.

sure at the start of the festival there is a good reason why there is crew camps but later on they would be lucky if they could find a empty space to put a tent up.

I have seen people removed only because they have gone missing for a shift without explanation or if its due to theft.

I have never heard of anyone being Hunted down in the way you describe - there is parts of this story missing.

I'm only repeating what I've been told, she had completed all her shifts by Thursday and was found in silent disco in silver hayes after someone grassed on her for leaving staff camping 

6 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I'm only repeating what I've been told, she had completed all her shifts by Thursday and was found in silent disco in silver hayes after someone grassed on her for leaving staff camping 

Are you and @incident referring to the same er...  incident?

Poor girl!

Edited by stuie

Only ever worked recycling but have to register with all the same details as ticket buyers. Dont know 100% but chatting to people in Toms Field the consensus is, if you do a runner you will be blacklisted from the festival as a whole. Someone broke their ankle in 2017 & when they got back to site went to see their team leader & got signed off as ok to come back in future. 

10 minutes ago, franathy said:

Just had my Oxfam arrival email... did anyone get the early shifts? (I didn't but wasn't expecting to).

Just had my Oxfam email too...

It states "You can arrive onsite on either Mon 24th or Tue 25th June, between 10am and 8pm."

From that, I take it I haven't got the early shifts... (I too didn't expect to get them!)

24 minutes ago, franathy said:

Just had my Oxfam arrival email... did anyone get the early shifts? (I didn't but wasn't expecting to).

Just got mine, no earlys for me either.

Chuffed to get the email though, another sign it's really happening, although I still won't be convinced until I'm in there!

7 minutes ago, mazola said:

Just got mine, no earlys for me either.

Chuffed to get the email though, another sign it's really happening, although I still won't be convinced until I'm in there!

Got mine too, no earlys.

So, I guess I'll aim to arrive around 11am Monday, get the tent pitched, wristband at 1pm and go for a wander and a few beers with anyone else doing same....really looking forward to the Mon/Tue explore and chill 

6 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Got mine too, no earlys.

So, I guess I'll aim to arrive around 11am Monday, get the tent pitched, wristband at 1pm and go for a wander and a few beers with anyone else doing same....really looking forward to the Mon/Tue explore and chill 

I'm hoping to get there about lunch time. Hopefully get registered/briefed out the way quickly so I can go wandering and get on the beers :)

Dying to know my shift patterns, my Clashfinder is fully completed even though I'll probably have to miss half of it!

https://www.facebook.com/events/2431638260190968/

Here's info about the excellent Arcadia crew bar, great atmosphere in there. You'll probably be alright getting in with any crew wristband even after the festival starts, but you may want to seek out an Arcadia wristband from somebody around there before gates open, just to be sure.

10 minutes ago, Simpo said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2431638260190968/

Here's info about the excellent Arcadia crew bar, great atmosphere in there. You'll probably be alright getting in with any crew wristband even after the festival starts, but you may want to seek out an Arcadia wristband from somebody around there before gates open, just to be sure.

What's the deal with this?  Is it as simple as just asking?  Anyone in particular?  I've seen people say the same about Maceo's too.

1 hour ago, Stave_1974 said:

It states "You can arrive onsite on either Mon 24th or Tue 25th June, between 10am and 8pm."

From that, I take it I haven't got the early shifts... (I too didn't expect to get them!)

Mine is here too!!! Also no earlies for me. Really looking forward to being on site from the Monday!! :)

1 hour ago, Stave_1974 said:

I'd happy get on site on the Monday morning if possible!

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, jmarmer said:

Does anyone fit this bill ?

Glasto obsessive, knows the site inside out, physically fit, mature, reasonable, assertive, diplomatic, calm, clear thinker, team player, willing to take responsibility, utterly reliable under stress, committed to making everyone's festival a little bit better, available Tues - Mon, able to meet in Mid Somerset in the next few days.

If you want to make the switch to volunteering this could be your chance, it is absolutely NOT a free ticket. Please think carefully before pm me as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

3x8 hour shifts 1 of which will be a night shift.

Pleased to report that this position is now filled and looking forward to enjoying many future festivals with our new recruit.

As some of you guessed I did word the criteria in as onerous a way as I could, simply to deter any chancers, been caught out in the past and have learned lessons. The type of person I was after was never going to be put off by the description and I have had a number of excellent applications, just really sorry I couldn't help more people.

I do understand that language used on forums can unintentionally provoke reactions but if anyone was put out or annoyed by the tone of the advert then I apologise. 

As Billy_Blagg has illustrated in reference to his friend, there are unfortunately people out there who will agree to anything to get a ticket then screw you over without a second thought. This has only ever happened to our team a couple of times and the people involved have always been caught, removed from site and blacklisted. Hence the reason we're very fussy about who we take on. 

Just now, jmarmer said:

Just an onsite Steward Supervisor role, nothing particularly exciting I'm afraid. Any facial similarity to ME would have been a bonus but not absolutely essential.

Quite an unusual recruitment process! 

Can I ask a question? How do you know that you haven’t recruited a blagger who just wants a way in? 

On 6/5/2019 at 3:38 PM, stuie said:

What's the deal with this?  Is it as simple as just asking?  Anyone in particular?  I've seen people say the same about Maceo's too.

Yeah you just ask at the bar. 

Make sure you get them before the Weds though as they either run out or refuse to give them out after that. 

Just now, Dr Glasto said:

Yeah you just ask at the bar. 

Make sure you get them before the Weds though as they either run out or refuse to give them out after that. 

Brilliant... thanks for the info.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, lucyginger said:

Mine is here too!!! Also no earlies for me. Really looking forward to being on site from the Monday!! :)

I'll look out for you on Monday and Tuesday and if you see a random pink haired fairy (mmm I may leave the wings in the tent) come say hi xx or message me if you want a cider buddy for a while x