The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

55 minutes ago, TaylorT said:

Randomly checked the Oxfam page today and low and behold. Glastonbury was available. Happy days. Just got a slight issue with making the training. I'm up in Scotland and the training courses left were Birmingham, London and Bristol and i wouldnt be able to make any of them due to work etc. I've called Oxfam today to ask what can be done so someone is apparently  getting back in touch. If nothing can be done well it will be a real shame but a heads up if i can't do it then the place i have will go back online. 

Worst case, you'll do the training on site when you arrive.  Don't sweat it.

7 hours ago, Janaka said:

I absolutely have to be in my office on Tuesday - and ideally out with clients that evening too.  Thanks for advising of the 1am-ish entry deadline.  What I'm thinking might work will be to leave my car at Castle Cary on Monday and go back to work, have just the 1 drink on Tuesday eve and get the train to be back at Castle Cary around 9/10pm, back on-site by 11 and then playing catch-up - or helping people stand up - on the bar crawl.

Christ, nothing is ever straightforward with Glastonbury. But having missed on the ticket sales this year, I'm delighted to have a late way in and am looking forward to giving something back for once.

To build on incidents comment.  I would park in the Oxfam carpark, walk across site to PGA, and get the crew shuttle / blag a lift back to Castle Cary.

Do the reverse on Tuesday, and as long as its before 0100 when the site gets locked down, you should be able to walk in through PGA, and across site to either join the shenannigans, or to bed.

1 minute ago, jfaragher said:

To build on incidents comment.  I would park in the Oxfam carpark, walk across site to PGA, and get the crew shuttle / blag a lift back to Castle Cary.

Do the reverse on Tuesday, and as long as its before 0100 when the site gets locked down, you should be able to walk in through PGA, and across site to either join the shenannigans, or to bed.

Thank you - the guidance from you and the others is invaluable.

Hmm bed or shenanigans.....!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, marathonsteve said:

I would have thought that you need to get to the accreditation cabin to get your wristband before it closes to be allowed entrance. Does it close at 8

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, incident said:

Not certain, but I think that if you arrive after registration & accreditation have both closed, you'll be able to get your initial access to the Oxfam camping field to pitch up but won't be able to register with Oxfam to get your ID, shifts, tabard etc or to get your festival wristband - so basically you will be pretty much confined to the field until registration and accreditation re-open the following morning. Probably best to wait for the E-Mail and see what the times are this year before worrying about it.

Thanks for the information.  I will wait and see what the email says but as long as I can pitch my tent on the Monday evening, I will be happy with that :) 

7 hours ago, TaylorT said:

Randomly checked the Oxfam page today and low and behold. Glastonbury was available. Happy days. Just got a slight issue with making the training. I'm up in Scotland and the training courses left were Birmingham, London and Bristol and i wouldnt be able to make any of them due to work etc. I've called Oxfam today to ask what can be done so someone is apparently  getting back in touch. If nothing can be done well it will be a real shame but a heads up if i can't do it then the place i have will go back online. 

Don't worry I'm in the same boat and lots of others too or so they told me - it is likely they will open up another online training session. 

Hiya, second time at Glasto and first time volunteering.

I'm with the Loo Crew for WaterAid and I have a question about camping, why do I HAVE to camp with WaterAid crew?

Their info says:

All WaterAid volunteers must camp in the crew-only secure area specified by WaterAid. If you have friends or family camping in general camping at the festival, you will still need to camp in the WaterAid campsite and unfortunately they will not be able to join us in this area. Further information about the campsite and facilities will be given nearer the festival.

I don't expect to bring friends into the crew camping, but the way I see it, as long as I show up for my shifts, what I do in free time doesn't really matter.

My partner and I have one tent, it seems a waste to buy two to camp in different spots.

Also, when can non crew start setting up tents? Since I'll be there early, I was going to offer to take the tents of my friends and set up our camp site early.

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, FemmeFest said:

Hiya, second time at Glasto and first time volunteering.

I'm with the Loo Crew for WaterAid and I have a question about camping, why do I HAVE to camp with WaterAid crew?

Their info says:

I don't expect to bring friends into the crew camping, but the way I see it, as long as I show up for my shifts, what I do in free time doesn't really matter.

My partner and I have one tent, it seems a waste to buy two to camp in different spots.

Also, when can non crew start setting up tents? Since I'll be there early, I was going to offer to take the tents of my friends and set up our camp site early.

Thoughts?

So crew don't take up valuable space needed for punters and they can keep their eye on you so you don't do a runner ?

1 minute ago, FemmeFest said:

A whole heap of reasons. The festival licence sets how many people are allowed to camp in a given area - if loads of crew start camping in a public field, then that gets messed up and has been flagged as an issue by the council in the past (hence the crackdown compared to ~15 years ago). History suggests that many of the people who do try to camp in public areas are the same ones who go AWOL - that may not be you, but there's definitely a correlation so it's something they'll be looking for.

The specifics vary by organisation but there are usually genuine benefits to staff camping, such as extra security, more space, showers, cheaper catering, phone charging, etc - if you want to bunk in with your partner and there's no extra tent being set up, then ultimately they're not going to know or care unless you're blatant about it - but I definitely would leave a base in the crew campsite as you'll probably find the facilities on offer more useful than you expect.

2 minutes ago, FemmeFest said:

All public campsites are officially off limits until gates open - Security do sweep the site on the Tuesday evening/night and actively remove any tents found in public areas (not with the greatest of care either). Especially in the more popular campsites.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

A whole heap of reasons. The festival licence sets how many people are allowed to camp in a given area - if loads of crew start camping in a public field, then that gets messed up and has been flagged as an issue by the council in the past (hence the crackdown compared to ~15 years ago). History suggests that many of the people who do try to camp in public areas are the same ones who go AWOL - that may not be you, but there's definitely a correlation so it's something they'll be looking for.

The specifics vary by organisation but there are usually genuine benefits to staff camping, such as extra security, more space, showers, cheaper catering, phone charging, etc - if you want to bunk in with your partner and there's no extra tent being set up, then ultimately they're not going to know or care unless you're blatant about it - but I definitely would leave a base in the crew campsite as you'll probably find the facilities on offer more useful than you expect.

All public campsites are officially off limits until gates open - Security do sweep the site on the Tuesday evening/night and actively remove any tents found in public areas (not with the greatest of care either). Especially in the more popular campsites.

This is great! Thanks! Depending on my shifts I'll try to set up our pitch in public camping on Wednesday then. Perhaps I can borrow a small tent from a friend to pitch in crew camping as you suggested.

Won't be going AWOL, in dire straits I can't even afford to lose the £50 deposit...

1 hour ago, kforkirsten said:

I'm registered to volunteer with Oxfam this year (it's my second time doing so) but I'm solo this year as my festival buddy can't make it. Does anyone know if there are any Oxfam/Volunteering Solo groups specifically?

There are a few groups on Facebook. Search for "solo stewarding" and take your pick. :)

On 5/12/2019 at 9:18 PM, incident said:

Reiterated this at online training yesterday. A number of peeps asked.

Hi all

After hammering away at f5 for 3 days I've managed to get myself an Oxfam spot, absolutely buzzing with excitement.

I'm wondering what the space is like at the Oxfam camp, I have a 4 man tent that I usually use but don't want to take it just for myself if space is at a premium.

Do I need to look at getting a smaller tent? This is similar to what I have now

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903010/freedomtrail-sendero-8xl-8-person-tunnel-tent-15903010

38 minutes ago, mazola said:

Hi all

After hammering away at f5 for 3 days I've managed to get myself an Oxfam spot, absolutely buzzing with excitement.

I'm wondering what the space is like at the Oxfam camp, I have a 4 man tent that I usually use but don't want to take it just for myself if space is at a premium.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903010/freedomtrail-sendero-8xl-8-person-tunnel-tent-15903010

Ha - exactly the same tent as I have and I was feeling slightly guilty about taking it for 1 person.    However it's surely a more sustainable option to re-use an existing tent than to buy a new smaller one that may only be used once or twice.......that's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway......

Edited by ohmygod

I’ve got a 4-man just for me and I’ll be in the Oxfield too ?? we should camp in a row and make it into the place to be! 

Ill be at the london training on sunday 2pm, if anyone else is then keep an eye out for a tall bloke with a liking for pies ?

56 minutes ago, mazola said:

Hi all

Congratulations! It must feel great getting a spot at this stage.  I think that tent will be fine.  You don't want to be too cramped if you are going to be there for a week.

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’ve got a 4-man just for me and I’ll be in the Oxfield too ?? we should camp in a row and make it into the place to be! 

Ill be at the london training on sunday 2pm, if anyone else is then keep an eye out for a tall bloke with a liking for pies ?

I'll be at the London training Sunday too!

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Congratulations! It must feel great getting a spot at this stage.  I think that tent will be fine.  You don't want to be too cramped if you are going to be there for a week.

I'll be at the London training Sunday too!

Yep me too!

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Overwhelming relief is how I'd best describe it, not missed one since my first in 2008 and really don't know what I would have done. It might sound over dramatic but I really felt like my life was on hold until I got the spot with Oxfam.

It's perfect for me this year as well, I'm going with the mind set that I'm there to do my shifts first and foremost, anything I get to see and do outside of that is a bonus. There's nothing on the bill so far that is a must see for me so no stressing about what shifts I get.

On top of that I get to be there a couple of days early, and be part of the festival that has become such a massive part of my life, it really is the perfect end to the saga me trying to get there this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mazola said:

Overwhelming relief is how I'd best describe it, not missed one since my first in 2008 and really don't know what I would have done. It might sound over dramatic but I really felt like my life was on hold until I got the spot with Oxfam.

It's perfect for me this year as well, I'm going with the mind set that I'm there to do my shifts first and foremost, anything I get to see and do outside of that is a bonus. There's nothing on the bill so far that is a must see for me so no stressing about what shifts I get.

On top of that I get to be there a couple of days early, and be part of the festival that has become such a massive part of my life, it really is the perfect end to the saga me trying to get there this year.

I'm the same! The only difference is I really REALLY want to see The Cure.

Been lucky every year since 2008, then wasn't lucky this year but got a spot with Oxfam last week! So very pleased! I was a right miserable sod before last Tuesday. 

See you there!!! :)