The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

3 minutes ago, DropBeat said:

I'm volunteering with Oxfam this year. Fourth Glasto for me but first time volunteering, and going solo. Looking forward to experiencing it from a different angle. Heading down on the Monday and catching the Oxfam shuttle from Bristol. So excited to see the site while it's relatively empty!

In some ways thats good when its empty as you can wander around.

6 hours ago, DropBeat said:

I'm volunteering with Oxfam this year. Fourth Glasto for me but first time volunteering, and going solo. Looking forward to experiencing it from a different angle. Heading down on the Monday and catching the Oxfam shuttle from Bristol. So excited to see the site while it's relatively empty!

No matter where you are you will run into people - I worked with Oxfam last year and even met a few people who post on efest who I have never met before who was also with Oxfam.

Apart from a few Crew sites that have their own security you can wander most places ' within reason ' as some areas will be busy still setting up.

The Bread and Roses is the only public bar { near the Wholesale market } that will be open but there is lots of crew bars - just ask people and they will point you to them as they are all over the place.Be sure to ask if they are handing out a pass ' as some do ' as they may be in areas where a normal Crew Pass will not allow you access # Once the Festival starts #

2013-wbc-9.thumb.jpg.cc9364f82dc7d8d635e4d59149303e40.jpg2013-wbc-10.thumb.jpg.8e6ff2fdcfd6f1dc26c631322d990852.jpg2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.24523102ee8bcffdcf9e4e5c4c3937ab.jpg

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DropBeat said:

Thanks for sharing those photos - shot of excitement and joy seeing them. Looking forward to meeting people and exploring the site more than I've managed before! Let's hope for clear weather like that too! ?

two shots of 2014 at gate D

first one is ' before the gates opened ' - everyone in that shot are workers 

and bottom one ' just after the gates swung open '

not sure what was going on as ' they all appeared to be ready ' but they waited

first is at 7.28 and the second at 7.55 

I have loads of shots of people trying to bring in enormous loads - as they walk into that field some will dump stuff when the penny drops that they will never manage it.

Note the Bibs - the ones who have a split bib with yellow at the bottom are Oxfam Supervisors - and I did spot that Oxfam was dropping the shift off using a minibus - not sure if they do that for all the gates but they did for Gate D.

I worked with Oxfam last year and they asked me if I wanted to be a Supervisor this year but I knew I already had a place at Glastonbury and I have been asked to do other work this year so I just don't have the time.

They are very well Organised. 

P49.thumb.jpg.f5ce9d72e8d60ee5478b4f97aa3e1e29.jpgP55.thumb.jpg.be34431b09bc2cdf48dc21a2c879789f.jpg

Just got my recycling crew shifts through. 

Looks like the veteran ones may have been over subscribed as I didn't get any of the 4 veteran ones I applied for. Got recycling centre mornings instead. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:26 AM, glasto-worker said:

The Bread and Roses is the only public bar { near the Wholesale market } that will be open but there is lots of crew bars - just ask people and they will point you to them as they are all over the place.Be sure to ask if they are handing out a pass ' as some do ' as they may be in areas where a normal Crew Pass will not allow you access # Once the Festival starts #

I'm sure I've been in Avalon Inn on a Monday or Tuesday too

Avalon Inn is definitely open on the Tuesday. Had a great night there as part of the wristbanding crew in 2017. 

Start at Bread and Roses, Avalon Inn, SE corner Crew Bars, then Stone Circle until sunrise (shifts permitting). 

Love the Tuesday on site as crew. The atmosphere and anticipation is incredible. I've really missed it when I've attended as a regular punter. 

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I'm sure I've been in Avalon Inn on a Monday or Tuesday too

5 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Avalon Inn is definitely open on the Tuesday. Had a great night there as part of the wristbanding crew in 2017. 

Start at Bread and Roses, Avalon Inn, SE corner Crew Bars, then Stone Circle until sunrise (shifts permitting). 

Love the Tuesday on site as crew. The atmosphere and anticipation is incredible. I've really missed it when I've attended as a regular punter. 

I was only quoting the DPS { who should know which Public bars are open ' and when ' no matter who the Operator is  } so will let him know.

My Team always works Tuesday night so we don't have time to wander to any other areas hence why we visit The Bread and Roses and then a quick dash to the crew Bar.

6 hours ago, dondo said:

Looks like the veteran ones may have been over subscribed as I didn't get any of the 4 veteran ones I applied for. Got recycling centre mornings instead. 

Yesssss I have just got mine through as well.. Happy start to the dayyyyyyyyyyyy.

9 hours ago, dondo said:

2 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Yesssss I have just got mine through as well.. Happy start to the dayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Hello! Who do you do the recycling with? I know it's full up now but for future reference! Or if there are any drop outs..... which is unlikely but it's worth a go...! 

4 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Hello! Who do you do the recycling with? I know it's full up now but for future reference! Or if there are any drop outs..... which is unlikely but it's worth a go...! 

I go direct with Fiona at the festival but I know there are opportunities with charities etc.

9 hours ago, dondo said:

Spoke to Fiona about this & she said there are more & more veterans, so much so that the before festival shift qualification is now 6 years instead of 5 & names are "literally pulled from a hat"

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dondo said:

I go direct with Fiona at the festival but I know there are opportunities with charities etc.

Ah ok, thanks. I shall keep investigating!! I'm registered with Oxfam and Water Aid and someone else but cant' remember! 

12 minutes ago, jevans.900 said:

Anything I've looked at is essentially fully booked. Is it safe to assume that if I haven't signed up for anything yet, that I'm SOL? I'm from the USA, if that makes things more difficult...

Being from the USA potentially does make things more difficult - do you know what your status is with regards to right to work/volunteer within the UK? It's unlikely any group would be able/prepared to sponsor you, so you'll really need to make sure you're OK to volunteer.

Odd spots may open up here and there, but it'll either be a case of hitting the web site at the right time, or being high enough on a waiting list.

The one place that might apparently still have places (unconfirmed) is Refresh West, who run the bars in Arcadia and Shangri-La - http://www.refreshwest.com/recruitment

41 minutes ago, Giraffe Man said:

Spoke to Fiona about this & she said there are more & more veterans, so much so that the before festival shift qualification is now 6 years instead of 5 & names are "literally pulled from a hat"

I always wondered how this works! I go via a charity so can't choose but still jealous of the before festival crew!

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Being from the USA potentially does make things more difficult - do you know what your status is with regards to right to work/volunteer within the UK? It's unlikely any group would be able/prepared to sponsor you, so you'll really need to make sure you're OK to volunteer.

Odd spots may open up here and there, but it'll either be a case of hitting the web site at the right time, or being high enough on a waiting list.

The one place that might apparently still have places (unconfirmed) is Refresh West, who run the bars in Arcadia and Shangri-La - http://www.refreshwest.com/recruitment

Thanks, I'll look them up... I was already guessing that the legalities of working/volunteering across the pond were fairly prohibitive.    Sucks that I already (foolishly) booked a flight last fall with my friends that scored tickets, so I might be hanging out in the hard streets of Pilton during the fest if I can't figure something out haha.

1 hour ago, Giraffe Man said:

Thanks for that information.  I did figure as much given some of the messages I have exchanged today with one of my mates from the recycling crew.

I did know it was names out of a hat for the pre-festival ones but didn't realise that it was for the others too.

This will be number 6 for me this year so hopefully will be OK as a veteran for the 2020 festival.

13 hours ago, Splodge said:

Do oxfam volunteers have to camp in the the oxfam field the whole festival. Just wondering if it’s ok to camp with friends in the main site from Wednesday onwards?

Also interested in this. 

14 hours ago, Splodge said:

Do oxfam volunteers have to camp in the the oxfam field the whole festival. Just wondering if it’s ok to camp with friends in the main site from Wednesday onwards?

I volunteer for different organisations, but I know there's nothing to stop you from doing this.  We have our own campsite, but the only security measures are to keep other people out - not you in.  I've known fellow volunteers set up camp in public campsites.  They discovered this was a mistake by the way - no facilities, and it's better to be camped with people who've got the same work commitments as you, as it's likely you'll be on a different partying/sleeping schedule to non-working friends.  I spent that festival getting repeated texts from them asking me to check shift-rostas etc. in the staffing tent.

• Upvote 1

I think overall it’s just simpler to camp in the Oxfield and meet other friends in your time off.

The access to showers is a serious bonus when you have worked 8 & a half hours on a dusty or muddy festival site (It would be as a customer but even more so when working as it just seriously helps to refresh you for the next shift or the next bout of partying)

Also - bearing in mind that one shift is overnight and others may have very early or late starts, the quiet campsite is a big help too. If you want to complete your shifts and be able to party with your mates without it feeling like a total trial,  you will need to get that sleep sometime, somewhere.

The facilities of staff camping are one of the plus points of working the festival (the others really being it not ending up costing so much, and actually being able to get through the gate whether or not you are a ticket day winner) and I’d seriously just recommend meeting friends in your downtime.

The other nice volunteering things is the camaraderie of the volunteers, & it’s a nice thing to be part of it once you’re in it.

I do understand the wish to camp with friends though, just pointing out some of the plus points of not doing that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1