The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

11 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I pinged them an email to see if there was any updates since registering and got a generic response email and no follow up. That was a week ago or so.

Ditto. And again this morning to another address.

Seems like we're at, "Stand by your beds".

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

This may not help but it says on here you need to cancel by 29th March 2019 if you can't make your place. 9 days isn't a big window to do so if they haven't even issued invites to date.....

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury/volunteer_guidelines

Now this just gets weirder and weirder. And worrying.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Nope. Two enquiring emails sent. Only automatic replies. Their twitter feed stated yesterday that emails would be sent out today, still nothing (but the day is still young(ish)).

fingers crossed - its a pain in the arse when they change the dates

At the start of the 90's the WBC would sort out the allocation in November - so it was all wrapped up before Christmas .

then they shifted it to January/February 

this year Organisers had to make a ' number bid ' by Tuesday 19th March and they will be told how many places they get and they will be asked to submit the names by Friday 26th April.

fortunately as I am the Organiser for the WBC/BWTUC Team I am not part of that process and I have already listed My Glastonbury 2019 named list.

Only a death certificate and a autopsy will get me to change that list.

it has to be soon - have faith

5 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Just found this on Twitter, should hopefully put your mind at rest!

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 20.01.24.png

Precisicley my point. It's gone Wednesday.and the 18th and the end of February.

Aaand...

As I was typing the above, my worst fear happened.

Got the email and I'm at work that morning. Aargh. No Wi-Fi  I am (quite likely) under a tunnel (sur la manche) when places go live.

Still. It's nice to know that I still get a "heads up".

I got the mail yesterday ;

We thought you did an incredible job volunteering with us. And because of that, we’re giving you a head start to register for Glastonbury 2019 before it opens for everyone else.

Here’s what you need to know…

When can I register?
Because you volunteered previously, your registration opens at 10am on Tuesday 26 March.

Will you remind me that registration is opening?
Don’t worry, we'll send you an email with a link to the sign-up form at 10am on Tuesday 26 March – so keep your eyes peeled!

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Aaand...

Got the email and I'm at work that morning. Aargh. No Wi-Fi  I am (quite likely) under a tunnel (sur la manche) when places go live.

Happy to try for you if you want to DM me your details. :)

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Aaand...

Can any of us help you Mr Zigster, can we complete the form for you (if we know what to put) , I'm not sure title Mr, First name Zig, surname Ster will get you a place :-)

I'm happy to help

5 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I dont know if they are still relevant but I have worked for DCServices and And Stuarts Security. Reasonable work conditions and you get paid minimum wage for you work.

I also worked for DC site services in 2017 doing traffic marshalling past Williams Green.  However they havent won that contract this year and only have shifts available working in the Camper van fields - 10 to 12 hrs per day every day of the festival minimum if you fancy it ?.

Not sure who did win the contract as I fortunately managed to get in with Oxfam in the 're-sale' 

Edited by ohmygod

On 3/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, MrZigster said:

Aaand...

Aye. I'll be missing out this year. Hiking Hadrians Wall Path next week so I should be somewhere near Once Brewed, in between the North Pennines and Northumbria National Parks when the applications open. It's pretty much the middle of nowhere and am not expecting to get phone signal. I'm already at peace with missing it this year.

23 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Happy to try for you if you want to DM me your details. :)

Have replied to your DM. Started posting here but it got a bit long and ranty and off thread for public viewing.

21 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Can any of us help you Mr Zigster, can we complete the form for you (if we know what to put) , I'm not sure title Mr, First name Zig, surname Ster will get you a place :-)

I'm happy to help

Oh. It's so lovely on here. Thank you so much, but, as I've ranted to SC, I think it's a little bit more complicated than it seems.

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Aye. I'll be missing out this year. Hiking Hadrians Wall Path next week so I should be somewhere near Once Brewed, in between the North Pennines and Northumbria National Parks when the applications open. It's pretty much the middle of nowhere and am not expecting to get phone signal. I'm already at peace with missing it this year.

If I get home for 10am it's been a good commute.

I do one night shift a week. That's one day a week I am not able to get online at 10am. What are the odds?

(I know. It's one in seven isn't it).

I have always had in the back of my mind somewhere that it is inevitable that there will be a year when I don't make it. It's nearly happened twice already for medical reasons (take the insurance) and I've volunteered at three.

But it's inevitable that one year it won't happen. I'm kind of at peace with maybe losing my deposit this year (it's a long complicated story).

9 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I think they are doing the car park stewarding.

Yes -  assuming nothing has changed since last time, CTM basically handle everything related to vehicles outside the fence. Mostly that's running the car parks, but also includes managing traffic routes and anything related.

Previously, DCSS then handled everything related to vehicles at or inside the fence, such as accreditation, marshalling, chaperoning, etc. But someone posted on here a week or so back saying they've lost some of that work for this year - wondering if CTM have taken some of it over because 200+ staff seems a shade high for what they do especially if they're paid roles so working much longer hours than volunteers.

On 21 March 2019 at 9:52 AM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I got the mail yesterday ;

We thought you did an incredible job volunteering with us. And because of that, we’re giving you a head start to register for Glastonbury 2019 before it opens for everyone else.

Here’s what you need to know…

When can I register?
Because you volunteered previously, your registration opens at 10am on Tuesday 26 March.

Will you remind me that registration is opening?
Don’t worry, we'll send you an email with a link to the sign-up form at 10am on Tuesday 26 March – so keep your eyes peeled!

Aaaaand I'm in :) :) :) 

Wow that's a weight off.

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, not worthy said:

Anyone had a notification of a position at Wateraid yet? 

Yeah had an offer through for the loo team, which is annoying as it’s the only one I said I wouldn’t do when applying, not because of the job itself but because it’s 4x6 hour shifts so you’re losing an extra day. Alright it’s not a whole day but depending on the time It’s effort!

17 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Yeah had an offer through for the loo team, which is annoying as it’s the only one I said I wouldn’t do when applying, not because of the job itself but because it’s 4x6 hour shifts so you’re losing an extra day. Alright it’s not a whole day but depending on the time It’s effort!

ah, ok, I am guessing they may only reply if successful in that case and remain silent if not. 

It may not be what you wanted but at least you now have an option to attend

Got my shelter place this morning, well chuffed!! I worked for DC in 2016 which was fine, but I’m delighted to have got a bar spot this year, really looking forward to it. I’ve said so many times after previous festivals that I really wish I’d spent more time in Avalon, looks like this year I will!