I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

Once again another thread turns into an alcohol thread.

Which brings me to my moaning video.

I come away from the festival these days thinking that the lazy 25% or so that leave all their shit behind are too fucked up by Monday to actually give a shit. 

Granted that a lot of people attend the festival to get fucked up enough that they stop giving a shit. And ironically as a barman, I can’t sit here on my high horse as I’m part of the deal for them. However being part of the team that allows punters to get pissed and not give a shit does not allow them leave their shit behind afterwards.  It’s not Buddhafield is it!!

The mess we’re taking about really is the campsite mess that is not kept clean by the festival during the festival as surely it’s the punters job to look after their own patch.

The trading areas, stages, toilets, pathways etc are looked after by the festival as no punter really likes to tidy up other people’s stuff if were honest.

The solution always seems impossible to me.  How does the festival actually ensure that the campsites are tidy at the end of Monday?  And that’s the key to this thread. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

The solution always seems impossible to me.  How does the festival actually ensure that the campsites are tidy at the end of Monday?  And that’s the key to this thread. 

Maybe something along the lines of bringing a full bin bag to the campsite binbag/waste points get the person a free drink or 2 from the bar (voucher handed out by people at the points).

59 minutes ago, lukemack said:

Maybe something along the lines of bringing a full bin bag to the campsite binbag/waste points get the person a free drink or 2 from the bar (voucher handed out by people at the points).

How would that work on Monday when it’s clean up time and the bars are shut?

8 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

They do litter bonds at other festivals - pay a tenner with your ticket and get it back when you take a full bag of rubbish back. Streams of people doing it on the Monday at Boardmasters. 

8 hours ago, Mardy said:

I don’t take beer or food but usually a bottle or two of rum, vodka, gin etc

the only thing that’s bothering me is that I’ve discovered my current mixer of choice is ginger beer and I’m not sure where you can get it on site. Would prefer not to bring that with us, if possible.

Message me in June Mardy, I’ll sort you some for the Thursday efest meet.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Laurenkfj said:

They do litter bonds at other festivals - pay a tenner with your ticket and get it back when you take a full bag of rubbish back. Streams of people doing it on the Monday at Boardmasters. 

Yes they did that at Bestival, you had to take a full bag so people were picking up other people’s rubbish to fill their bags, my party did it and got £40 back, our petrol home. Our campsite was immaculate when we left. 

39 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

As someone said they could get a voucher offering £10 off next years festival ticket.

But the main benefit would be with far more people disposing of there rubbish in the correct place over the 5 days, then the clean up of the camping fields would be much easier and less time consuming, I think alot more people would do a sweep of the area there camping in if they got a free pint out of it. Just a thought anyway, they'd have to weigh up the costs see if it was worth it.

Edited by lukemack

I always take a roll of black bin liners and hang a couple off of my trolley and tell anyone camped close enough if they need any just ask. Also tell them to put their empties in my bags. Try to do it without patronising the youngsters and it seems to work especially if you offer a few cans around too.

13 hours ago, Mardy said:

I don’t take beer or food but usually a bottle or two of rum, vodka, gin etc

the only thing that’s bothering me is that I’ve discovered my current mixer of choice is ginger beer and I’m not sure where you can get it on site. Would prefer not to bring that with us, if possible.

Not sure if this has been answered already, catching up but ginger beer with rum is my glasto drink of choice. So you can get the fancy pants organic stuff on the bus that sells curry or there is the jamaican jerk stall that has them in a bowl of ice on the counter I believe in West Holts. Ssssshhhhhh Actually I would assume any of the jamaican jerk joints will have it. Still cheaper than pissy beer and spirits are easier to carry. :D 

8 hours ago, grayfitz said:

The last thing we need on top of the stress of getting a ticket in the first place is adding discount codes against the clock!

Oh that would be stressful! Seeing as everyone has to be registered for tickets, could input the code once home so it's linked to the registration maybe? 

its re

10 hours ago, SighMo said:

I always take a roll of black bin liners and hang a couple off of my trolley and tell anyone camped close enough if they need any just ask. Also tell them to put their empties in my bags. Try to do it without patronising the youngsters and it seems to work especially if you offer a few cans around too.

absolutely .... its really quite easy to influence people who camp near you .... just start it off early and at the end start edging into there areas with bin bags and offer them out ... it guilt trips people into cleaning up and the more people doing it the more follow .... the sheep effect ... just look at the cyclists camping if they can do it everyone can !! see photo on page113 of camping essentials thread 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Laurenkfj said:

They do litter bonds at other festivals - pay a tenner with your ticket and get it back when you take a full bag of rubbish back. Streams of people doing it on the Monday at Boardmasters

The problem is that a lot of people would effectively see such a scheme as being able to pay a tenner to just leave all their shit behind. 

17 hours ago, ian the worm said:

The truth is they don't need to. They don't have to ensure the campsites are tidy by the end of Monday. They need to ensure they are tidy by the end of the following Friday. And they do that by paying people to clean it up. And they pass that cost on to us.

Yes, it's ugly, and yes, there's an environmental impact of reusable gear going to landfill, but as far as the festival is concerned, it's not actually a "problem". Any new scheme would have cost less to run and administer than just paying people to clean up. Like you say, we can all clean up our own stuff in 20 minutes, so essentially offering us a tenner to do that is far less efficient than just paying someone ten quid for an hour's labour. 

I think the only vaguely realistic way to do it is to make the cost of the clean-up more visible. Instead of just upping the price of a ticket next year, add a "clean-up" levy of £10 and say that'll be reduced the next year for everyone if the site is left in a better condition. 

18 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

Sadly, I'm one of these people. 

I've always slept with anything valuable in my sleeping bag and am generally a very light sleeper anyway.   In 2017, however, we'd obviously had a very heavy one on the Thursday night and I'd decided to use earplugs.

Friday morning woke up to the tent open and wallet had been taken from the sleeping bag while I was in it.   Girlfriend's purse taken from inside her pillowcase.   Stupidly had far too much cash between us and also all debit/credit cards taken.

I never leave anything valuable in the tent when I'm not in it but, lesson learnt, always use the lockups.

I find the best answer to this is don't leave anything in your tent. 

don;t come back to go asleep until people are getting up and starting their day 

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The problem is that a lot of people would effectively see such a scheme as being able to pay a tenner to just leave all their shit behind. 

Those sorts of people will leave it behind regardless though. That certainly hasn't been the attitude of other festivals with litter bonds, I've only ever seen a constant queue at the bin areas.