I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

We tend to take spirits which are easier to carry in, and easier to carry around the site during the festival mixed strongly with a coke (more spirit than coke) so it’s sipped rather than glugged and lasts.

The we drink our spirits during the acts so we don’t need to keep nipping to the bar, and grab the odd pint as we move around the site - especially at the cider bus and brothers Bar. It’s also easier to dance and jump about with a bottle than a pint!

We used to take stuff for a cooked breakfast but now we just take a few snacks, enough to get us out of bed to explore and find something on site. We go for one big £7-10 meal a day around late afternoon and make sure it’s something substantial so that we don’t need much else.

So - spirits instead of cans, & tracker bars & Pringles instead of a stove with bacon, sausage & eggs has cut down our luggage loads & still provides a good balance on the spending front.

• Upvote 1

I'm coming by coach so will have to bring the minimum. I'll be taking a large bottle of JD for drinks and mix that with coke in smaller bottles to carry around during the day, I'll do a shop run if needed. I'll buy the odd drink while I'm out an about but that should last me (maybe!)

Food wise I'll be bringing a few Military ration meals for breakfast, one plastic fork and it can be eaten straight from the packet. I'm used to eating cold rations in a field so that's not a problem. I'll save the big meals for the shenanigans later in the day.

I'm stunned by the video of the walk around in 2016. It's not really that hard to tidy up after yourself is it? I can't understand people that can walk away leaving that mess knowing someone else will have to clean it up. Lazy f**ks

We're still using the tent my neighbours left in Dairy on the Sunday night in 2014, bagged it up when they shot off and it's now on to its 7th Festival. Due an upgrade soon so may go scavenging on the Monday morning, reckon I've had half a dozen decent camping chairs on my way out over the years too!

I always end up taking more than I need to both clothes wise and booze wise. 

Luckily as I camp up in the camper fields with friends it's easy enough for me to get any leftover crap back home. 

Back when I camped in the festival it would always be whatever I could carry in one trip on my trusty wheelbarrow!

Mostly travelling by coach has kept me travelling light. Will be in a car this time but still won't bring too much. I normally bring a select few cans of craft beer (12 or so) that will do for Wednesday and Thursday and we'll have a wine box for the week. I don't mind buying food and drink at the festival. I do however always use everything I bring and make sure anything I bring is bagged or binned before I leave. I really cannot understand the shamelessness of those who leave the farm looking like a tip on Monday morning. It really isn't that difficult to clean up after yourself. Just laziness and selfishness in my view.

15 hours ago, LeeHC said:

This is the thing that confuses me the most- what a crazy waste of money! Camping equipment isn't cheap and can easily last for years- who are these people who can brazenly leave £100s worth of stuff just lying around to go to ruin? Madness

Exactly.... like you see £100 tents just left with chairs and beds and all kinds... mental. 

40 minutes ago, Havors said:

Exactly.... like you see £100 tents just left with chairs and beds and all kinds... mental. 

Maybe these guys recoup their losses by going to Tesco for drink and in a parallel universe are laughing at you total spendthrifts for buying drinks at the bar. 

I don’t take beer or food but usually a bottle or two of rum, vodka, gin etc

the only thing that’s bothering me is that I’ve discovered my current mixer of choice is ginger beer and I’m not sure where you can get it on site. Would prefer not to bring that with us, if possible.

9 hours ago, SighMo said:

After my first Glasto in 2017 I decided to save up weekly so I didn't have to carry any cans or food in with me. Been saving a tenner a week and I'm up to just over £800 in my tin now and will be a grand by the time the gates open. Problem is I'm looking at all that cash and thinking I'd be mad to take that lot with me when I'm doing two other festivals later on in the year....seems a lot but by the time I've bought my lad and his mates a few drinks that'll knock a big hole in it.

Blimey. I know I'm stating the obvious but please tell me you'll be making good use of the lock ups.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

the only thing that’s bothering me is that I’ve discovered my current mixer of choice is ginger beer and I’m not sure where you can get it on site. Would prefer not to bring that with us, if possible.

I take ginger beers and tonic with me. It's not so much of a tall order to bring a few of those multipacks of mixer size tins.

2 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Maybe these guys recoup their losses by going to Tesco for drink and in a parallel universe are laughing at you total spendthrifts for buying drinks at the bar. 

Doesnt eveyone go to tesco/asda and get their booze?? if you dont at least have a mix you are foolish ha 

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Blimey. I know I'm stating the obvious but please tell me you'll be making good use of the lock ups.

Was planning on doing this. I’ll probably end up chucking my son a couple of hundred; he’s off to uni in Brazil the week after we get back so it’ll be a bit of a send off for him. Any money I’ve got always lives under my pillow when I’m sleeping and in my front pocket during the day but I will use the lock ups I think. 

12 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Was planning on doing this. I’ll probably end up chucking my son a couple of hundred; he’s off to uni in Brazil the week after we get back so it’ll be a bit of a send off for him. Any money I’ve got always lives under my pillow when I’m sleeping and in my front pocket during the day but I will use the lock ups I think. 

Please do, I've heard of loads of people having money taken from under pillows, inside sleeping bags, in their pockets even. It's easy to be in a deep sleep at festivals and not notice anything.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

In 2017 there was a soft drinks outlet quite near the Pyramid selling Whole Earth Organic Ginger Beer in 300ml cans. Went down lovely with my rum and they were pretty chilled. Went well with my whisky too.

Edited by Rumblestripe
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

In 2017 there was a soft drinks outlet quite near the Pyramid selling Whole Earth Organic Ginger Beer in 300ml cans. Went down lovely with my rum and they were pretty chilled. Went well with my whisky too.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

One year we got each of our group to bring their own random mixer, as well as their spirit of choice. - the theory being we'd have a nice selection between us.

Every sodding one brought bitter lemon. Do you know how many spirits go well with bitter lemon? Not many.

I'd love to bring less alcohol and wouldn't be averse to drinking all day from the bar, but the only issue I can foresee is you are limited in terms of getting another drink mid-set. This when compared to grabbing a can out of your bag means I am likely to bring the same amount of booze as normal. I may cut it down slightly and try and stick to the bars earlier in the day perhaps.

48 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Please do, I've heard of loads of people having money taken from under pillows, inside sleeping bags, in their pockets even. It's easy to be in a deep sleep at festivals and not notice anything.

Sadly, I'm one of these people. 

I've always slept with anything valuable in my sleeping bag and am generally a very light sleeper anyway.   In 2017, however, we'd obviously had a very heavy one on the Thursday night and I'd decided to use earplugs.

Friday morning woke up to the tent open and wallet had been taken from the sleeping bag while I was in it.   Girlfriend's purse taken from inside her pillowcase.   Stupidly had far too much cash between us and also all debit/credit cards taken.

I never leave anything valuable in the tent when I'm not in it but, lesson learnt, always use the lockups.