I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

We always seem to bring too much (i.e. food drink clothes) but we never leave our shit like you see so much of. I just don't understand it...

1. because of the poor sods who have to clear it up.

2. because of the environment

3. because i've paid for this shit why do I want to just lash it? im not made of money. 

Definitely going to try take less clothes and food this time. I take like 5 pairs of shorts and only end up wearing about 2 pairs like a meff but sod it haha 

27 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

There's a few stalls sell ice. One by silver Hayes and one by pyramid stage I remember

oooooh how much? Ive got a amazing big cooler but with the constant opening the ice is melted by the friday night/sat morning... could do with a top up. 

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

So its not possible to walk to gate A and get a 15 minute bus to Glastonbury town? Buses leave every hour. I did it in 16 and 17 to get more beer on friday morning. It's 100% doable and quite easy. It's not physically possible for me to carry enough booze to do me for 5 days and I don;t want to spend hundreds at the bars so for me it works.

Really never knew this is an option, maybe I’m just too happy when I’m there to want to leave and would rather buy a cold beer or drink the homemade mars bar vodka. But worth knowing in an emergency 

Even though I'm going down in someone else's campervan this year, I think I'll take less beer this year than I usually do in the car. A few years on the coach has meant I've downsized almost everything I take, all in the backpack (including the wine) plus the tent. 

I don't blame people who take their own ale though, it saves a Hell of a lot of money. I never take food apart from breakfast bars.

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

I do a run every morning to either Glastonbury town or Shelton mallet for drink. Order a cool bag online click and collect. First bus in morning is 10am, be back onsite within an hour with a cool bag full of 20-30 tins of cider and a bag or two of ice. Freezing cold tins all day and no bar trips makes the hour in the morning well worth it. We always camp by John peel anyway so it's no drama.

in the morning I am barely able to speak / move / tell the time

going to the shop is not an option

you are a brave man 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

If you see a shaved headed, hopefully impossibly sunburnt man with a Belfast accent swearing a lot and trailing around a cheap looking cool bag which is leaking and cutting into the flesh on his shoulder I will be happy to let you taste my wares if you greet me as mr gherkin8r

You only think the drink from the bars is cold but you haven't tasted cold til you've had a drink from gherkin8rs leaky bag

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That video from 2016 is really disheartening - I do wonder if it had anything to do with the bad weather that year? I imagine people are less inclined to take things home with them if they're caked in mud/wet from the rain.

Anyone know if Monday lunch of 2017 was as awful for left behind items?

It's the crates of beer/ cider I don't get. I understand it's to save money- but the nightmare of carting them miles around a muddy site and even then being faced with mostly luke-warm piss as a reward just doesn't make sense. I do take at least two red wine boxes-  in my rucksack - and I drink it all ;) I do fly in these days so I sound like one of the 'ironic' examples.. but I had been cutting down gradually over the years (stuff not booze ;) ). When I have a car I pretty much make it one trip for everything bar maybe a spare wine box- which I generally collect later. Completely given up on trolleys after too many mares. Thing is keep it minimal and know that if you really are short of something you can either borrow or buy onsite. 

...and yes of course no-one should ever leave anything behind except binned bags of rubbish.. not a cigarette butt, torn balloon, wooden fork. nothing.

Edited by Boris

59 minutes ago, Havors said:

3. because i've paid for this shit why do I want to just lash it? im not made of money. 

This is the thing that confuses me the most- what a crazy waste of money! Camping equipment isn't cheap and can easily last for years- who are these people who can brazenly leave £100s worth of stuff just lying around to go to ruin? Madness

2 hours ago, uscore said:

How come it's still happening?

I think some of the blame has to go to the 'convenience' of being able to buy all of your camping needs from the camping shops on site. Even within the field you chose to camp, even buy a fully inflated bed. I'm not against these camp shops as I have used them myself in an emergency. But I can not help thinking that the people who are too lazy to bring their own equipment in, and afford the ridiculous prices, may be too bloody lazy to take it out. Not all, but I'm guessing a good percentage. Could the camping shops be made to do more regards clearing up, maybe they do, I don't know. 

Anyhow it still comes down to selfish lazy twerps regardless of whether the camping shops play a part.

Makes me cry, with rage.?

39 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

That video from 2016 is really disheartening - I do wonder if it had anything to do with the bad weather that year? I imagine people are less inclined to take things home with them if they're caked in mud/wet from the rain.

I don’t know about Monday morning but I walked through the pyramid field late Sunday eve after all finished there & couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Along with the tons of cups/cans etc there were hundreds of friggin camping chairs and in a couple of cases a full size/8 seater camping table with cups/bottles/leftover food sitting on it. Unbelievable!! 

51 minutes ago, Boris said:

It's the crates of beer/ cider I don't get. I understand it's to save money- but the nightmare of carting them miles around a muddy site and even then being faced with mostly luke-warm piss as a reward just doesn't make sense. 

I think you've answered your own question, it's all about the money.

10 cans of Thatchers was about a tenner last time. 10 pints (slightly more than in a can but not far off) would cost £50. Times that by 5 days and you're saving £200. That's a lot of money to people on a budget. Plus there's the convenience once you're in, finish a can, grab another out your bag, no need to head off to the bar again.

19 hours ago, Splonk said:

Many moons ago, during the breaks on the main stages, everyone was encouraged to take a minute to pick up any litter lying around them - and most people actually joined in.

It feels like we need a little bit of that spirit back.

I've wondered for years why they stopped that, as it clearly engendered more care for the farm. I can only think that the festival found it so difficult to break the running order for the clean up times perhaps? 

2 hours ago, grayfitz said:

I worked Monday morning on the pyramid field and then had a walk around the site at the end of our shift and there were quite a lot of empty tents and other crap left discarded in the fields. So just seems as though it's regardless of the weather some people are just lazy or selfish and expect others to clean up their shit. The good thing though is that we did see a lot of tents piled up for the homeless charity and the refugee charity. 

Can totally understand people taking lots of beer/cider especially if you leave some in the car for a second run. If you are leaving some then at least put it in the bin. We had a few cans of beers left and donated them to our security guards up near worthy farm- they were grateful for it as they were there for another week. 

Interesting topic. Hard to fully combat as thwres two sides to the argument and its hard to make solutions as a punter with no insight into the cost if things. 

I try and take as little as possible, firstly its a nightmare to carry there and back Im not much a fan of wastage just for the hell of it. 

2017 I felt I got a fairly decent balance. There was four cans left between three of us on Sunday evening so a manageble carry back. Didnt take a lot of food, what I did take was eaten. 

Anything like airbeds was taken home, still have everything raring to go another year round. 

Its hard to combat taking plastic and/or cans, people want to drink and what is the alternative. I did find it easy enough to find bins to out then in though at points they get ridiculously full and its impossible to bin them, you have to leave them next to and hope a poor volunteer sorts the rest if the job out. 

I managed to use one plastic bottle for water all week, and we used the paper cups to drink spirits out of. The taps are good for filling up but were a mare on the wed when justifiably in total demand due to the heat. 

Plastic bottles is a hard combat cause you cant take glass in so whats the alternative to that? The bars are expensive, I buy plenty from them but id end up in debt if I used them only. Ive no qualms with the prices but it would be mighty expensive to rely on buying at the bar alone. 

Similarly with food, ten quid a meal is a bit much and thwarts you to bring your own grub. Again, not complaining at the orices, I buy a lot from them and itll probabky be justified on the site fees they pay but again, if you subsidise it with your own food it balances out into a fair split. 

They defo need more toilets, and them to be spread better. That would help a lot with drunk people needing a piss then going on the land or in a bottle, cup etc. 

I dont think the festival does too bad overall on being as environmentally friendly as it can. The real problem lies in government and big business who have all the solutions yet dont bother much. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

I've wondered for years why they stopped that, as it clearly engendered more care for the farm. I can only think that the festival found it so difficult to break the running order for the clean up times perhaps? 

Would it be that difficult to send someone out with a mic whilst they are changing over though, set up times would take the same time in the background anyway and I doubt one mic through the PA would upset that. Might be difficult between acts that are packed to. The rafters but the rest would probably be alright. Cant see how it couldnt work. 

9 minutes ago, chatty said:

Interesting topic. Hard to fully combat as thwres two sides to the argument and its hard to make solutions as a punter with no insight into the cost if things. 

I try and take as little as possible, firstly its a nightmare to carry there and back Im not much a fan of wastage just for the hell of it. 

2017 I felt I got a fairly decent balance. There was four cans left between three of us on Sunday evening so a manageble carry back. Didnt take a lot of food, what I did take was eaten. 

Anything like airbeds was taken home, still have everything raring to go another year round. 

Its hard to combat taking plastic and/or cans, people want to drink and what is the alternative. I did find it easy enough to find bins to out then in though at points they get ridiculously full and its impossible to bin them, you have to leave them next to and hope a poor volunteer sorts the rest if the job out. 

I managed to use one plastic bottle for water all week, and we used the paper cups to drink spirits out of. The taps are good for filling up but were a mare on the wed when justifiably in total demand due to the heat. 

Plastic bottles is a hard combat cause you cant take glass in so whats the alternative to that? The bars are expensive, I buy plenty from them but id end up in debt if I used them only. Ive no qualms with the prices but it would be mighty expensive to rely on buying at the bar alone. 

Similarly with food, ten quid a meal is a bit much and thwarts you to bring your own grub. Again, not complaining at the orices, I buy a lot from them and itll probabky be justified on the site fees they pay but again, if you subsidise it with your own food it balances out into a fair split. 

They defo need more toilets, and them to be spread better. That would help a lot with drunk people needing a piss then going on the land or in a bottle, cup etc. 

I dont think the festival does too bad overall on being as environmentally friendly as it can. The real problem lies in government and big business who have all the solutions yet dont bother much. 

Your profile name is bang on. 

Edited by HeyPorter
More sense.

Would love to be able to not bring my own sauce in with me, but fucking hell I'd go bankrupt fast and spend half my festival at the bar.

Been washing out and re-using the same little Innocent Smoothie bottles since 2015 though, been through about 10 or so festivals. I love the environment so much I'd go to bed with it if it'd have me.

After my first Glasto in 2017 I decided to save up weekly so I didn't have to carry any cans or food in with me. Been saving a tenner a week and I'm up to just over £800 in my tin now and will be a grand by the time the gates open. Problem is I'm looking at all that cash and thinking I'd be mad to take that lot with me when I'm doing two other festivals later on in the year....seems a lot but by the time I've bought my lad and his mates a few drinks that'll knock a big hole in it.