I'm cutting down on the amount of shit I take to the festival

Splonk

2 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

2019 is my first time, what's the situation like for beer/food runs? Used to do a big shop in a local Tesco on the Wed/Thurs at Reading and get all my cans there, is there a similar thing at glasto, I worry it's a bit more remote than other fests? 

It’s basically not possible, bring it with you or you are going to go without. My first time was in 2013 after many Reading festivals. The size will blow you away (and you will never want to go anywhere else again) but once you are in the grounds you are not leaving until the Monday. Lots of people do go back to the cars to pick stuff up from the boot but even that can be a 2-3 hour round trip depending on where you camp.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

I'm always astonished by the amount of shit people bring with them. 

Every year, hundreds of these guys.

358B9E8100000578-3653879-image-a-202_146

All that for 4/5 days?

These guys make me laugh. It’s 5 days mate, what could you possibly need that doesn’t fit into 1 bag?!

25 minutes ago, Barneym said:

It’s basically not possible, bring it with you or you are going to go without. My first time was in 2013 after many Reading festivals. The size will blow you away (and you will never want to go anywhere else again) but once you are in the grounds you are not leaving until the Monday. Lots of people do go back to the cars to pick stuff up from the boot but even that can be a 2-3 hour round trip depending on where you camp.

So its not possible to walk to gate A and get a 15 minute bus to Glastonbury town? Buses leave every hour. I did it in 16 and 17 to get more beer on friday morning. It's 100% doable and quite easy. It's not physically possible for me to carry enough booze to do me for 5 days and I don;t want to spend hundreds at the bars so for me it works.

• Upvote 1

This year I have cut down on friends

they didn't get tickets

saving the world one friend at a time.

in all seriousness, me and two fiends have decided to share a tent, just makes life easier , less to put up , less to put down. less to bring in, we normally have a tent each. we don;t actually need that much room . this will also define how much we need to take in . 

10 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

So its not possible to walk to gate A and get a 15 minute bus to Glastonbury town? Buses leave every hour. I did it in 16 and 17 to get more beer on friday morning. It's 100% doable and quite easy. It's not physically possible for me to carry enough booze to do me for 5 days and I don;t want to spend hundreds at the bars so for me it works.

That sounds like a lot of effort for me, Clive.

23 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

How long did the round trip take you, out of interest?  We camp near Gate A and are flying over (so not able to bring pallets of booze), so this may be relevant to my interests

I always travel very light.   We've taken the coach for the past few years but, even before then, it just makes the walk to the campsite easier.   I don't want to waste time going back and forth so just take what I can carry comfortably.  

Tent 
Sleeping Bag
Rucksack with basic clothes/toiletries
Pillow
Water bottle
A few cans for the walk/tent pitch up celebrations
Binliners for my rubbish and spares for the neighbours

I budget for food and drink there - saves bringing in things that may end up being wasted.   I do appreciate that it can be expensive though and so not everybody will be able to do this.  

Under 2 hours id say? Not much else to do on a thursday / friday morning. The buses only run every hour or so when you get into town you've no choice but to wait for an hour to get the bus back. By the time we got our booze in tesco and went for a coffee (ooooh a real toilet!!) you don't notice the hour passing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

32 minutes ago, Hawros said:

That sounds like a lot of effort for me, Clive.

I do a run every morning to either Glastonbury town or Shelton mallet for drink. Order a cool bag online click and collect. First bus in morning is 10am, be back onsite within an hour with a cool bag full of 20-30 tins of cider and a bag or two of ice. Freezing cold tins all day and no bar trips makes the hour in the morning well worth it. We always camp by John peel anyway so it's no drama.

17 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Under 2 hours id say? Not much else to do on a thursday / friday morning. The buses only run every hour or so when you get into town you've no choice but to wait for an hour to get the bus back. By the time we got our booze in tesco and went for a coffee (ooooh a real toilet!!) you don't notice the hour passing.

The bus in on the hour is the same bus back in the half hour. You've 10-15 mins to run in and back. Least it used to work that way. Haven't been since 2016

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

You do it every morning?! Fair play to you no way could I be arsed doing that. I don't care about cold cans I just don't want to be spending 100 quid a day at  the bars

I arrive on Thursday these days and do the run Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It takes about an hour and you're definitely back on site by midday. I'm an early riser anyway and quite enjoy the trip. Saves a fortune and the tins stay cold into the evening. Sometimes get a wee bottle of JD or dark rum as well for evening festivities.

Yeah I quite enjoy it too but I wouldn't do it every morning lol. There's a Morrisons in Glastonbury town a short distance from where the bus drops you. Nice town for a wander around as well. I thought it was nice to get a break from the madness of the festival for a short while.

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I arrive on Thursday these days and do the run Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It takes about an hour and you're definitely back on site by midday. I'm an early riser anyway and quite enjoy the trip. Saves a fortune and the tins stay cold into the evening. Sometimes get a wee bottle of JD or dark rum as well for evening festivities.

You takin' orders?

22 minutes ago, uscore said:

It's impressive how shocked and disgusted everyone says they are, every year.

How come it's still happening?

Mate I don’t mean to disappoint you here, but there are a lot of selfish dickheads in the world - both in and out of festivals.