Toughest clash choices

Supernintendo Chalmers

On 2/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Another killer is looking back over old guides and programmes and seeing an act you're really into now playing at midday on one of the smaller stages ten years ago 

Yep - I was just looking up which year I saw Roni Size, and then saw that the The Roots had played before him.  I could have seen The Roots! In 1998!

Also, missed Beasties in whatever year it was, and David Bowie.  I'm useless.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Chose EW&F over LCD and Coldplay on the Sunday of 2016. Seemed a good idea at the time, and I did have a good laugh but seems a daft decision in retrospect.

I did the same, and I’m very happy with my choice: I’ll be even happier when I do get to see LCD (tbf I’d never ever watch Coldplay under any circumstances) but EWF were all kinds of great 

7 hours ago, Big durbs said:

I did Earth Wind & Fire (west holts)over Coldplay , I figured EW&F we’re getting on a bit , if I didn’t see them now I would have to see them in a assisted housing complex  or with the assistance of a good medium, no regrets at all , btw the wristband worked at west holts as well 

I hope you enjoyed it! It was Coldplay for me on that occasion, partly because I hadn't seen them at Glasto and I'd seen them at a tiny gig a few months before for a BBC R1 promotion in a small church in my hometown, and also I had seen EW&F previously. Haha ah yes the wristbands, I'm sure they were still going well into the night! Maybe even the next day IIRC! 

5 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’ll never get over choosing Prodigy over Blur. I’m a bigger fan of Prodigy and it would have been so different had they nailed it and Blur been lacklustre but it just wasn’t meant to be.

I feel your pain. 

This one still gets me. 

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Did people think Blur would be lacklustre? Serious question.

I didn't think it would be lacklustre, didn't think it would be special. Just a reunion of a band I didn't really know that many songs of, I'd seen Oasis play earlier that summer and I always preferred them.

I was 16 as well mind.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I didn't think it would be lacklustre, didn't think it would be special. Just a reunion of a band I didn't really know that many songs of, I'd seen Oasis play earlier that summer and I always preferred them.

I was 16 as well mind.

If you didnt know much and preferred Oasis, whats changed? Just become a big fan of Blur since?

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

If you didnt know much and preferred Oasis, whats changed? Just become a big fan of Blur since?

Just hindsight I guess. I don't particularly regret not seeing them as I had a good laugh seeing someone that people I was with wanted to see instead of someone I wasn't too bothered about. But it was the start of a now decade long love of the festival, I've only missed one since, waste everyday on here, it stings a little knowing I missed a big, historic set that'll go down as one of the best.

I'm not massively bothered though, I've made plenty of my own of those since.

19 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Just hindsight I guess. I don't particularly regret not seeing them as I had a good laugh seeing someone that people I was with wanted to see instead of someone I wasn't too bothered about. But it was the start of a now decade long love of the festival, I've only missed one since, waste everyday on here, it stings a little knowing I missed a big, historic set that'll go down as one of the best.

I'm not massively bothered though, I've made plenty of my own of those since.

No regrets mate - is right.

4 hours ago, Big durbs said:

i think if we had seen EW&F before , it would have been coldplay all the way :-)

EW&F are just great though aren't they! I really enjoyed the Coldplay performance, always put on a great show. The latter dancey stuff they released allowed for the light show to be taken up a notch or two, and the use of colour as a visual has been a staple for a while - fantastic spectacle. Great musicians too - for me Chris Martin usually delivers on point and sounds just like the record. They're not edgy and don't have a rep around these parts generally, but I for one had a brill night! What more can you ask for :)

22 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I don’t think there was that much anticipation. I mean, I fucked up by not seeing them, but I’m a fan, I’d seen them 6 or 7 times before and definitely thought their glory days were behind them. I don’t think anybody was expecting it to be a classic. Which is maybe why it was so emotional for so many. 

People remembering, or realising, that this one of those bands that really matter. 

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I don’t think there was that much anticipation. I mean, I fucked up by not seeing them, but I’m a fan, I’d seen them 6 or 7 times before and definitely thought their glory days were behind them. I don’t think anybody was expecting it to be a classic. Which is maybe why it was so emotional for so many. 

People remembering, or realising, that this one of those bands that really matter. 

This clash seems to be amongst the biggest regrets on this forum. I can't remember ten years ago if people knocked it in the run up and thus people were put off - similar to Stevie. Springsteen got the most heat on 'ere I recall and if I'm honest that was really the only one I was focussed on. Does the forum search go back that far?

My biggest clash was 2014 sub headliner and 3rd down. I think there was at least 1 thing on all the main stages and the ground wasn't great so I knew it would be tought to go between them. Goldfrapp, Manics, Jack White, Anna Calvi, Pixies, John Grant and I think Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott were in the acoustic tent as well. I decided to go with Anna Calvi and John Grant because I love John Grant and wanted to make sure of a great spot for him. Worked out well I got to the front of the stage and he was awesome. 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

This clash seems to be amongst the biggest regrets on this forum. I can't remember ten years ago if people knocked it in the run up and thus people were put off - similar to Stevie. Springsteen got the most heat on 'ere I recall and if I'm honest that was really the only one I was focussed on. Does the forum search go back that far?

I tell you what I reckon about that clash and why it was problematic for so many.

It’s not a generational thing, it’s not , as an example, the Who vs Stormzy, it’s not old vs young. It’s not classic band vs up-and-coming act. If you were listening to Blur in 95, you were probably listening to the Prodigy too. They existed in the same universe, and music wasn’t as fragmented as it subsequently became. If you went to an indie disco in the mid 90s, you’d have heard both, co-existing alongside each other. That’s why it’s an especially ugly clash, because there’s no tribal lines to draw. 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, Wooderson said:

I did. I was (and am) a big fan of Blur and Albarn in general, but in the build up, listening back to those old tunes, I wasn't feeling it.  Plus, I felt like they were a nostalgia act and since I'd seen them when they were a proper band back in 1998, that was enough for me thank you very much. I didn't feel the need to hear them go through the motions with a warmed up 20 year old set.

Obviously, I was completely wrong, but it was all academic in the end.  I didn't see anyone that night, I was in my tent the entire day, feeling very ill from overindulgence.

I spent all day maintaining that I would see Prodigy, I had tickets for Blur in Hyde Park the following week with my GF at the time (who wasn't at Glastonbury) and had promised I wouldn't see them without her. But when I time came I couldn't bring myself not to go, Blur were and still are, one of my all time favourite bands and seeing their big comeback at Glastonbury was just too big to miss.

My girlfriend rang me during the set, foolishly I answered:

"Are you seeing Blur?!?!"

"Erm... No." {Girls & Boys playing loudly in the background}

"YOU BASTARD!! YOU $%$%!!!"

Our relationship collapsed shortly afterwards, frankly it was worth it.

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

That was it for me. I'd seen them in their prime a few times (as well as sans Coxon) and though I wouldn't have missed them for The Prodigy, I can't recall being that excited for them in the lead up. Little did I know what was to come.

Still smarts that there's not a full set on audio or video around.