Toughest clash choices

Supernintendo Chalmers

The 2009 chat in one of the threads got me thinking. Of all the horrific clash decisions you've had to make, which ones were the worst and which ones worked out great? Chances are we'll have to do it again in June...

My biggest decision was Blur v The Prodigy in '09. Being a huge Prodigy fan it was a tough call but Damon and the lads won the day and my decision was rewarded with arguably the most special show on the Pyramid since Bowie. 

The one that didn't work out for me was choosing the Philip Glass lazer-ridden snoozathon over Adele in '16. Big mistake. 

7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Prodigy vs Blur.

Chose Prodigy as I had tickets to see Blur in Hyde Park a few days later. 

It was the wrong choice. 

I don't even like blur and would concur it was the wrong choice-- prodigy was way too quiet, it was annoying! People were even chanting for them to turn it up but to no avail. 

Pumpkins v Cave 2013 - Chose Punpkins, regretted it.

Gaga v Specials 2009 - I enjoyed the Specials, but in hindsight should have seen Gaga.

The National v Solange 2017 - Went to Solange as I had tickets for The National at Hammersmith. Enjoyed it.

Arcade Fire v Kasabian 2007 - What the shuddering fuck was I thinking???

Beyonce v QOTSA 2011 - Saw half and half, an unsatisfying compromise.

I also foolishly saw the Prodigy instead of Blur. They came across as very arrogant - getting narky with the crowd for apparently not responding enough or creating enough atmosphere, and kept trying to make people crouch down so they could jump up all at the same time (no one wanted to do this because it was pretty muddy). And the sound was terrible.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Beyonce v QOTSA 2011 - Saw half and half, an unsatisfying compromise.

I wanted to see what the fuss was about with Beyonce and it was a total result that she started with her most famous song. Heard the speech about wanting to be a rock star, straight into Crazy in Love, fireworks then a five minute sprint over to the Other to catch 95% of QOTSA. Worth it. 

I think the “what I did I fucking MISS??” is part of your festival story. Elicits a unique feeling. Stays with you, unresolved but a strong rung on the ladder of experience. 

For me? Iggy. Bring back the wispa, get up here, “get up here, I can’t take this bullshit anymore” etc etc. Staggering miss.

Edited by Wooderson

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

I think the “what I did I fucking MISS??” is part of your festival story. Elicits a unique feeling. Stays with you, unresolved but a strong rung on the ladder of experience. 

For me? Iggy. Bring back the wispa, get up here, “get up here, I can’t take this bullshit anymore” etc etc. Staggering miss.

Such a relief when you've agonised over a clash, ended up going with one, then afterwards hearing people around the site saying the other one turned out to be shite! 

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The wristbands still worked on the Other Stage y'know. Loads of us had em 

couldn't get one of those wristbands despite asking at several info points ... perhaps they deemed me lit up enough already must have been one of the only people onsite without !!

Not Glasto, but a tough one for me was first night at Phoenix 96. On the second stage The Cocteau Twins - a band I’d loved since my teens, and never seen live, playing what turned out to be their last ever gig. On the main stage, yer man Bowie, who I’d already seen 3 times by then. Ended up able to see about a third of the Cocteaus before pegging it over in time to see all of Bowie who was on the Outside tour - not many greatest hits, more deeper cuts. Loved it.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Can you take solace from the fact that it was Chuck D by himself? Flav had visa issues IIRC 

Not really, but thanks for trying.

My first ever gig was Public Enemy at Leeds University - it must have been around 1987-88.

I got in fairly late and it was heaving. They came on stage and got half way through the first song before someone at the front (apparently) pulled out a gun and shot into the air. Cue chaos - and that was the end of that.

It's a massive regret I've never seen them live (and the Beasties - who I also bollocksed up seeing at Glasto in 94 due to a numpty mate ?)

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Another killer is looking back over old guides and programmes and seeing an act you're really into now playing at midday on one of the smaller stages ten years ago 

Was heartbroken when I found out MF DOOM had played a Reading fest I was at, a couple of years before I got into him

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Pumpkins v Cave 2013 - Chose Punpkins, regretted it.

Gaga v Specials 2009 - I enjoyed the Specials, but in hindsight should have seen Gaga.

for these two, in '13 I moved out of the pit as soon as Cave started his encore and legged it at decent speed and still managed to get about 25-30 mins of the Pumpkins I think. But that was an unfortunate clash

Similar hindsight, at the time it seemed The Specials was one to see, but if I'd gone back now...I have far more respect for all that Lady Gaga is about, her multi talents, than I did back then ....I walked by a few mins of her late night Club Dada set later that night, but still was too 'rock music cool' to stop and enjoy what would have been another 'catch'...Lady Gaga playing a small club gig at 2 or 3 in morning at Glastonbury. 

the Beck/PJ Harvey/Guy Garvey one was tough in '16. Did first 4 of Beck in the pit and escaped to be in front of the Other barrier just before PJ Harvey. 

As @Wooderson says, I love telling mates how good Glastonbury is, that I missed so-and-so because there's just so much going on at the same time. It's that good.