Jump to content
marathonsteve

Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

sometimes you don't even need to try !!!!

there is a gate that mainly allows cars in to the backstage compound - I was walking though with a ' Crew production pass ' but the two guys on that gate got distracted by a driver but they recognised me so they did not bother to check my pass - was 50 feet past the gate and I got a call on my walkie-talkie so I sat down to take it - I then spotted about 8 people behind me ' stopped as well '

so I suspected ' they had nipped though spotting the two being distracted ' but to test it - I got up walked 20 feet and then stopped again and sure enough ' My 8 Shadows ' stopped again

- I was heading to a area where there is a extra Security check so I walked back to my shadows - pointing which lane to go up as they clearly did not have a clue about the layout.

I don't know if they had planned to try and get in without the correct pass or they had just spotted the two guys not really looking but they were happy to know how to find the Guest Bar.

ha ha ha Excellent story - I'd be useless at even trying to sneak through anywhere - I look guilty at the slightest thing, even when I don't need to be

You must have had some amazing adventures, I hope to bump into you in the Bread and Roses for a beer before the festival starts to hear some of them :-)

Every little story makes me smile to think about the adventures that lay ahead :-)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, incident said:

Remember that the 2nd festival doesn't also have to be as a campaigner, which opens up the possibilities for you a bit, and some of the smaller festivals (NASS and 2000 Trees for sure, probably others) only ask for 2 shifts and less time on site which may help if annual leave is an issue.

Great, thanks for the info! Will start looking into ones with genres up my street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and the missus lucky enough to get steward roles after many years of just being there.  Actually looking forward to it and hopefully be good fun ;).  Don’t think I could have coped of not going and couldn’t face another grave Sunday morning like last October.  Hopefully see some of you in the fields :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Its ok to leave it late, I didn't go until I was in my lates 30's and the gang I go with nearer 50 - 9 years later I know it changed the way I view things, its one of my havens , and can't wait to give soemthing back this year (first yer voluntering). You are in for such a treat, an absolutely amazing week - ask anything you want , ask away 🙂

Ah that sounds great. I just wish I had found at about volunteering before, hopefully this will be one of many. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read about this the more I’m glad I didn’t get tickets in October, things are for a reason 🎪🥳 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Watchy said:

The more I read about this the more I’m glad I didn’t get tickets in October, things are for a reason 🎪🥳 

There will be times that you'll curse the work, getting up for a morning shift, or having to leave a stage to go start a night shift say, but saying all that I haven't tried for a ticket for years. Would only do it as a steward now, same for all my group. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Festover said:

Me and the missus lucky enough to get steward roles after many years of just being there.  Actually looking forward to it and hopefully be good fun ;).  Don’t think I could have coped of not going and couldn’t face another grave Sunday morning like last October.  Hopefully see some of you in the fields :)

Can you and your partner get shifts together or is it just pot luck? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can ask to be shift partners with up too 5 people.  They do say you aren't guaranteed to be working in the same place but other than the really small festivals where your might only have one steward in a position,  I've never known anyone to not be working with their shift partners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Can you and your partner get shifts together or is it just pot luck? 

You can sign up to be shift buddies so can be on shift at the same time but not necessarily in the same place ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, incident said:

For main shift - Last arrival time will be Tuesday afternoon, probably about 5pm or 6pm.

Can you arrive on the Monday if you want? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Can you arrive on the Monday if you want? 

Yes - though not any earlier than that.

When you fill out the application details (starting next week onwards), you'll be asked whether you prefer to arrive Monday or Tuesday, and for logistical reasons they do prefer you stick to whichever day you select.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Madyaker said:

@glasto-worker how many crew bars are there on site?

As to the number - Not even Michael Eavis could answer that question but the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) should be aware as under the Licensing Act 2003 they should have a list and a map but some 'General Crew Bars' may have been missed from it.

I use the line 'General Crew Bars' to indicate bars that are open to other Crews { before the gates are open to ticket holders } - there is some ' specific Crew Bars ' that other Crews don't have access to ' at any time ' 

Just to complicate things - If you go into a 'General Crew Bar' say before the gates open to ticket holders ' you need to ask ' as some will issue a paper or plastic wristband - it may not appear all that important because you are already in that 'General Crew Bar' but once the Gates open - the odds are you will not be able to reach that 'area' without a paper or plastic wristband specific to that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I use the line 'General Crew Bars' to indicate bars that are open to other Crews { before the gates are open to ticket holders } - there is some ' specific Crew Bars ' that other Crews don't have access to ' at any time ' 

 Just to complicate things - If you go into a 'General Crew Bar' say before the gates open to ticket holders ' you need to ask ' as some will issue a paper or plastic wristband - it may not appear all that important because you are already in that 'General Crew Bar' but once the Gates open - the odds are you will not be able to reach that 'area' without a paper or plastic wristband specific to that area.

As a rule of thumb - if the crew bar is accessible directly from a public area (i.e. Maceo's in Block9, Tow and Hitch in Arcadia), then you *should* be able to access it throughout the show if you have any crew credentials i.e. a crew / volunteer wristband as opposed to a ticketholder one, or any crew specific area one, such as a Silver Hayes crew plastic band.  However, they may chose to restrict this to their own crew if they are getting busy.

If the bar is only accessible by first entering into a restricted area (such as backstage) then you almost certainly won't be able to access it during the show, and may not be able to access it beforehand without the specific crew credentials such as a wristband or laminate - examples of this are the Interstage Hospitality between Pyramid and Other, or the Silver Hayes crew bar - I guess this is because they tend to be more used by the artists, and they don't want plebs bothering the VIPs.

There are some exceptions to this, of course - you can pretty much always get into the Acoustic backstage bar for example (I suspect that you could probably get away with it on a public wristband if you were confident enough!)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jarr said:

So each crew bar has its own wristbands? To clarify is it a bar away from the crowds?

no - its the area - if you cant get into the area - you cant get into the bar - the whole system is a complete mess and this has only got worse over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, incident said:

Yes - though not any earlier than that.

When you fill out the application details (starting next week onwards), you'll be asked whether you prefer to arrive Monday or Tuesday, and for logistical reasons they do prefer you stick to whichever day you select.

Incident, thanks for all your help on this stuff.

If I do select early-shift on my application details any idea when I would know if I have this accepted or not? 

and when do you find out your shift times

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People on early shift get notified 2-3 weeks before.

You won't get specific shift times until you register on site, when you arrive on the Monday or Tuesday (or Saturday if you're on earlies).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, philipsteak said:

There will be times that you'll curse the work, getting up for a morning shift, or having to leave a stage to go start a night shift say, but saying all that I haven't tried for a ticket for years. Would only do it as a steward now, same for all my group. 

You missed 4am on the night shift when you are freezing cold and bored out of your mind!

......still worth it though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

As to the number - Not even Michael Eavis could answer that question but the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) should be aware as under the Licensing Act 2003 they should have a list and a map but some 'General Crew Bars' may have been missed from it.

I use the line 'General Crew Bars' to indicate bars that are open to other Crews { before the gates are open to ticket holders } - there is some ' specific Crew Bars ' that other Crews don't have access to ' at any time ' 

Just to complicate things - If you go into a 'General Crew Bar' say before the gates open to ticket holders ' you need to ask ' as some will issue a paper or plastic wristband - it may not appear all that important because you are already in that 'General Crew Bar' but once the Gates open - the odds are you will not be able to reach that 'area' without a paper or plastic wristband specific to that area.

I was thinking it couldn't be that nobody knew, legally someone has to! :D  I guess they've changed a lot as the years go by with new ones popping up as the festival expanded, interesting all the same, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody typical - could have got a punter ticket but wanted to volunteer again (worked for Oxfam previously). Should have had priority except for my partner’s appendix rupturing just before our second festival. 

He’s got a volunteering place...and I have to hope that people drop out instead 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I was thinking it couldn't be that nobody knew, legally someone has to! :D  I guess they've changed a lot as the years go by with new ones popping up as the festival expanded, interesting all the same, thanks!

No matter what bar you walk into be it public or crew and whoever the Bar operator is you may see a sign on a wall and it will all have the same name at the bottom - that is the Designated Premises Supervisor {DPS} and he/she has the power to close any bar ' for whatever reason ' but the main one is ' the Bar Operator  has failed to notify DPS/GFL within the time limit ' { by law they cant just pull up and set up a bar - all the red tape is sorted out in advance }  - on average about 5 are closed down at each event although there was one year when that shot up to over 10 - now these are not the main bars but tend to be smaller artist/crew bars so most people will not even know they were there - the DPS has his/her own security team who will be checking each bar no matter how well hidden it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 8:33 AM, glasto-worker said:

well good luck for today - if you get places and you arrive on the Tuesday Your crew pass will get you into the ' interstage area ' { Pyramid back stage } and various ' general crew bars ' - note you need to double check as some crew bars issue a extra wrist band because without it you will not be able to reach that bar from the Wednesday - various areas have their own paper wrist band - so if in doubt ask.

Probably a daft question but where do you go to get into the Pyramid backstage area as i missed it in 2017 probably more as I didn't really try after the Tuesday but this year I'm going earlier and I'd love to get into there just for a nose around. Plus if I am able to get in there later in the week i'm more likely to spot some faces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Email confirmation received, dancing can now commence. For some reason I’m more excited about stewarding that I would be about getting a normal punter’s ticket 🤣🤣 this’ll be my 7th Glastonbury so the idea of doing things a bit differently, as well as giving a little bit back to the festival, is fantastic. I really can’t wait . . . 

Im possibly borrowing a mate’s campervan too, so it’s going to be a fair bit different to my usual appearance of camping up at Top Webb’s Ash and spending the weekend maintaining my usual drunkenness levels! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...