Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

marathonsteve

If you're new to stewarding then you are likely to get Wed / Thurs to Sun. Only the 'core' who have done 100's and know the right people get earlier or get to choose. On the plus side, a busy Wed in shift will go well quickly as has been said.

Know Brighton Centre (and Concorde 2) - will be fine. 

28 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If you're new to stewarding then you are likely to get Wed / Thurs to Sun. Only the 'core' who have done 100's and know the right people get earlier or get to choose. On the plus side, a busy Wed in shift will go well quickly as has been said.

I wasn’t born rich but I’ve always had good luck, so I’ll hope for the best ? 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Disagree, having worked on handing out shifts and tabbards there is no favouritism between old and new. A steward who I met at Boardmasters in 2016 had done his 1st festival at Glastonbury that year. All 3 of his assigned shifts were  before Friday, he had requested earliest and got them! 

On 2/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, stu_kent said:

Thanks!

I'm not exactly worried - I just keep randomly checking at work.  I like to get my admin in order - especially when it's for something important like Glasto!

For what it's worth, if you've not already seen it, the web site is back up now.

And at the same time, some previously full up festivals (not Glastonbury) have spaces available again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, incident said:

For what it's worth, if you've not already seen it, the web site is back up now.

And at the same time, some previously full up festivals (not Glastonbury) have spaces available again.

Thank you! I’ve now completed my profile and it’s good to know it’s all sorted. 

All completed, all good ?? There’s a possibility of me borrowing a mate’s campervan, but that’s only if I don’t get the early shifts from sat onwards, and go down on the Tuesday as per most people  - I presume I can give em a bell and change my details when they confirm everything?  

Getting a Campervan pass late on might be a stretch too far, as with the rest of the festival there's only limited space and so plans are made based on that. I'd say put it on the application (as it's very unlikely you'll get early shifts anyway), and then let them know if you're not going to use it.

20 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Disagree, having worked on handing out shifts and tabbards there is no favouritism between old and new. A steward who I met at Boardmasters in 2016 had done his 1st festival at Glastonbury that year. All 3 of his assigned shifts were  before Friday, he had requested earliest and got them! 

Then he's the lucky one! In 14 years of doing it I've never once got an early shift though i have always requested it where the option exists. Certainly the understanding was a few years ago that early and pre-festival shifts were a benefit afforded to those who did many festivals each year with Oxfam, had been doing it for years, knew the team who organised it well and personally, and had some experience of doing earlier shifts where they might still be dealing with lots of crew and vehicle movements in the run up to gates opening. There have been a number of important changes in the 'leadership' since then so perhaps it's less exclusive now.

• Like 1

I think I've requested early shift maybe 3 or 4 out of my 10 times and never got them, but I don't think there's any real favoritism these days.  Couple of friends got them last time and they've not got an "in", and only do Glastonbury.  And my neighbour from 2016 was on earlies on what was his 2nd or 3rd time volunteering

• 2 weeks later...