Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

marathonsteve

9 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Probably a daft question but where do you go to get into the Pyramid backstage area as i missed it in 2017 probably more as I didn't really try after the Tuesday but this year I'm going earlier and I'd love to get into there just for a nose around. Plus if I am able to get in there later in the week i'm more likely to spot some faces. 

Here is the Access map from 2015 which shows the cut throughs. They are so handy especially at busy times to avoid crowds. I have been able to take advantage of these since 2011 as I use the Access facilities and have yet to "spot a face"!  xD

2015-FINAL-ACCESS-MAP-v2.jpg

Haven't been on efests for years, first Glastonbury was 1992, last one was 2011 then kids happened. Tried for tickets for the last couple of years once husband agreed I could leave kids at home with him and go on my own but failed to get any. Then finally secured my place as Oxfam volunteer.

So excited to be coming back and really looking forward to getting onsite early. I will miss the family but a whole week free of  toddler tantrums and 6 year old's meltdowns will be bliss!

I'm sure it's changed loads since I was last there, can't wait to see it

21 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Probably a daft question but where do you go to get into the Pyramid backstage area as i missed it in 2017 probably more as I didn't really try after the Tuesday but this year I'm going earlier and I'd love to get into there just for a nose around. Plus if I am able to get in there later in the week i'm more likely to spot some faces. 

I see 'StoneCircle' has posted a map - if you take the main two ' Left Pyramid ' and ' Right Pyramid ' { be aware that crews who have Production access name them from ' standing on the stage ' so its important if you are meeting anyone to make sure what they mean as you could end up standing in the opposite gate to your friend } 

To be honest its not as exciting as it used to be - its more like walking into a ' industrial estate '

whenever I have a Production Pass I mainly use it as a shortcut to get to two of the WBC Bars that connect with it as its a lot quicker.

For sure have a look as I am sure you will find it interesting.

46 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

Haven't been on efests for years, first Glastonbury was 1992, last one was 2011 then kids happened. Tried for tickets for the last couple of years once husband agreed I could leave kids at home with him and go on my own but failed to get any. Then finally secured my place as Oxfam volunteer.

So excited to be coming back and really looking forward to getting onsite early. I will miss the family but a whole week free of  toddler tantrums and 6 year old's meltdowns will be bliss!

I'm sure it's changed loads since I was last there, can't wait to see it

Congratulations.

Yes I'm also looking forward to relieving myself of any parental responsibilities in return for a stewarding slot. When I mentioned the (v.small) chance of getting early shifts I got very raised eyebrows!! So not sure I'll be ticking that box on the application next week.

2 hours ago, miffmiffy said:

Congratulations.

Yes I'm also looking forward to relieving myself of any parental responsibilities in return for a stewarding slot. When I mentioned the (v.small) chance of getting early shifts I got very raised eyebrows!! So not sure I'll be ticking that box on the application next week.

Yes, getting there Saturday would be a bridge too far I think. 

Husband has a week in Vegas with mates in May so we're about even. Although his trip substantially more expensive than mine

7 hours ago, miffmiffy said:

Congratulations.

The amount of donteventhinkaboutit I got when I mentioned Saturday was, in my opinion, wholly disproportionate to the fact that it is a mere two days before Monday. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hurdy said:

The amount of donteventhinkaboutit I got when I mentioned Saturday was, in my opinion, wholly disproportionate to the fact that it is a mere two days before Monday. 

Ha! That's the vibes I'm getting whenever my excitement is bubbling over and I'm starting to talk about it! 

We both went for tickets on T Day but my girlfriend can't volunteer due to work. It's definitely made the celebrations a little more restrained than they ordinarily would have been.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, miffmiffy said:

Ha! That's the vibes I'm getting whenever my excitement is bubbling over and I'm starting to talk about it! 

We both went for tickets on T Day but my girlfriend can't volunteer due to work. It's definitely made the celebrations a little more restrained than they ordinarily would have been.

will your g/f be going for resale tickets - fingers crossed if she is so you don;t have to hide the excitement. :-)

15 minutes ago, hurdy said:

@incident @philipsteak the tick box asking if you're available to work on the leaving day - presumably that's Monday? Any idea whether you could get put on earliest, lates or nights please? 

It means Monday - In the case of Glastonbury, if you don't tick the box your latest possible finish time is 6am Monday, if you do tick the box then you could potentially get a shift running 6am-2pm Monday (though probably not, I think the numbers needed for that shift are fairly low). I'm reasonably sure that at Glastonbury no shifts run any later than that but am open to correction.

Other festivals can have Monday shifts running into the evening - Shambala officially has shifts running up to 8pm Monday, and at Boomtown I think it might even go up to Midnight.

Personally I'd tick the box unless you need to get away sharpish. If you're given a Monday shift then that's one less to do during the festival proper, and Monday is usually fairly relaxed unless it's pissing rain which we can't really predict and can happen any time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

will your g/f be going for resale tickets - fingers crossed if she is so you don;t have to hide the excitement. ?

Yep our two groups all failed to get sorted so it'll be a big effort again come the resales. I hope it pans out, I'm like a bottle of pop at the minute. I'm back to spending all my time looking through the threads and trying really hard not too be too much of a Glastonbury bore!

7 hours ago, hurdy said:

@incident @philipsteak the tick box asking if you're available to work on the leaving day - presumably that's Monday? Any idea whether you could get put on earliest, lates or nights please? 

Yeah,  what incident said.  

In the past it's certainly been the case that the Monday shift is an early one but things do change.  I would be surprised if that changed though

• Upvote 1

Has anyone been able to complete their profile on Oxfam website this year?

Each time I visit it says 'down for maintenance' and I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to get on at all.

Just now, stu_kent said:

Has anyone been able to complete their profile on Oxfam website this year?

Each time I visit it says 'down for maintenance' and I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to get on at all.

Yeah, they're still having some web site issues.

Don't worry too much about it - as the place is reserved, there's no urgency in getting the final details completed. It'll be a few weeks before any of that information is needed.

Though I understand the desire to do so, it's like wanting to pay the balance bang on April 1st.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah, they're still having some web site issues.

Don't worry too much about it - as the place is reserved, there's no urgency in getting the final details completed. It'll be a few weeks before any of that information is needed.

Though I understand the desire to do so, it's like wanting to pay the balance bang on April 1st.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly worried - I just keep randomly checking at work.  I like to get my admin in order - especially when it's for something important like Glasto!

5 hours ago, LeeHC said:

Anyone with links to the powers-that-be for Oxfam volunteering want to look into this Oik ...

Yes- stuff like this makes me very angry

I don't normally get too agitated on my posts on here but I remember a few years back having a real go at someone who was going to sag off their litter picking shifts. 

Well he'll get banned for life from doing Oxfam again and they share the blacklist with other festival volunteer orgs. If he's camped in the Oxfam field they may well get him when he comes back to the tent and he could well be thrown out by security if he's obviously taking the piss.

3 shifts, 8 1/4 hours each: at Glasto typically (but not always) 1 morning, one evening and 1 overnight. Spread out over the festi from Tues PM to Mon AM but typically from Thurs to Sun. If you're lucky you might get a Wed and Thur which means only one left for the 3 'big days' Fri to Sun. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

Does anyone now the shift times? I gather there is a night shift? when does it start and end?. I take it there’s an early shift and a late one so there’s 3 shifts over 24hrs?. Anyone know the start and end times of those also?. Cheers 

It's too big a question to go into much more detail than is already on this thread as there's so many variables.

But essentially - The "standard" shift pattern is that first people (A Shift) start on Wednesday at 6am (technically, 15 minutes before but I'm going to round it to the hour here to keep it simple), B shift replace them at 2pm, and and so on, repeating until A shift replace E shift at 10pm Thursday and the whole cycle starts again until E shift complete their last run at 6am Monday morning.

Under that cycle, everyone would have 1 each of a morning, an evening, and a night shift. But there's countless variations to that. More people are needed for gates opening on Wednesday, so some people (especially those on shift pattern D and E) may find a Sunday shift gets moved to Wednesday. Some of the gates aren't open overnight, so not everyone gets a night shift (assume you will, though and it's a nice surprise if you don't). Some shift times may be offset a bit to account for when the gates are open. A few people are needed on Monday morning so may have a shift pushed back to then if they volunteer to be available for it.

• Upvote 1

Pinhead / Incident, great info thanks ?. I’m hoping to be on shift Wednesday morning for when the festival opens up on one of the gates. That I’d imagine will be insane and exhausting but yet a great experience also. I’ve been 5 times but I’m actually looking forward to the first time as a volunteer. I work at the Brighton Centre venue as security or show control as they call it, so I have experience I guess but nothing on this scale. Looking forward to meeting new people too as potentially I’m going solo. Out of 8 friends I’m the only one who gets to go this year, happy and sad about that.