Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

marathonsteve

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

oh hey dont get peoples hopes up like that! are you 100% sure?? 

So this is how it looks for me right now - Bearing in mind I'm signed up to a couple festivals but not Glastonbury as I've got tickets. The ones I'm on have disappeared, Glastonbury is showing as "sold out".

Untitled.png

Just now, incident said:

So this is how it looks for me right now - Bearing in mind I'm signed up to a couple festivals but not Glastonbury as I've got tickets. The ones I'm on have disappeared, Glastonbury is showing as "sold out".

Untitled.png

Yeah my friends is showing glastonbury the same as yours.... but they have taken money off her. Shockingly bad system not holding places in a queue and just taking money regardless. 

2 hours ago, mikegday said:

Thank you very much - good to know too!!

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Do crew passes get yo7 to the interstate area from Wednesday onwards or only Tuesday and before ... just curious 

Crews can only wander about ' most places ' only up to when the gates open to the Public and then its locked down - its very weird because security is in place on the Monday and Tuesday { and other days before then } and they do check for a crew wrist band so many people who are not used to the system assume they don't have access but they do - I have worked in the  ' interstage area ' { Pyramid back stage } loads of times before but some of my Team has never seen it and they were not convinced they would get in so I walked them though one night - the main areas you cant get into is the specific Crew Camping areas as they have their own security team - but the best is early on the Wednesday { our crew site is near gate D } - I set up my camera - just before the gates open and then catch the first few though - who are always rushing even although they are the first ' though that gate '

2013-wbc-22.thumb.jpg.946b846d961c3b928d7bc127623025cc.jpg2013-wbc-26.thumb.jpg.35393b2544b4c0cb73e91c413f9acead.jpg

3 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Crews can only wander about ' most places ' only up to when the gates open to the Public and then its locked down - its very weird because security is in place on the Monday and Tuesday { and other days before then } and they do check for a crew wrist band so many people who are not used to the system assume they don't have access but they do - I have worked in the  ' interstage area ' { Pyramid back stage } loads of times before but some of my Team has never seen it and they were not convinced they would get in so I walked them though one night - the main areas you cant get into is the specific Crew Camping areas as they have their own security team - but the best is early on the Wednesday { our crew site is near gate D } - I set up my camera - just before the gates open and then catch the first few though - who are always rushing even although they are the first ' though that gate '

2013-wbc-22.thumb.jpg.946b846d961c3b928d7bc127623025cc.jpg2013-wbc-26.thumb.jpg.35393b2544b4c0cb73e91c413f9acead.jpg

Yay thanks so much. I’m so excited to see other areas of the festival I’ve never seen before , I’ll be onsite with plenty of time the weekend before to wander, so looking forward to seeing it all unfold, plus wander now the interstate area . 

Id already thought about being near to a gate when it first opens , I’ve alwasy come in at gate C so may go for that one  ... it’ll be fun being the other side of the fence

5 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Id already thought about being near to a gate when it first opens , I’ve alwasy come in at gate C so may go for that one  ... it’ll be fun being the other side of the fence

Alternatively, come get messy in the crew bars on Tuesday night, and do the walk of shame back to bed in your off-site crew field at 5am past the queues waiting for the gates to open.  Not that I would ever do that of course.

9 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Alternatively, come get messy in the crew bars on Tuesday night, and do the walk of shame back to bed in your off-site crew field at 5am past the queues waiting for the gates to open.  Not that I would ever do that of course.

Ha ha ha brilliant ?, that’s no walk of shame, that’s a walk of brilliant ? . Crew camping for me onsite so I can sneak home before anyone notices ?

15 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Yay thanks so much. I’m so excited to see other areas of the festival I’ve never seen before , I’ll be onsite with plenty of time the weekend before to wander, so looking forward to seeing it all unfold, plus wander now the interstate area . 

They claim all the gates open at the same time but I have spotted ticket holders who must have walked though Gate A and they were walking though Bushy ground ' heading towards Gate D ' just before Gate D opened - that's a fair old walk.

The tents you see in the distance are Campsite assistants.

It soon fills up 

2013-wbc-12.thumb.jpg.7dceb7460d4d160136a7a75a522c9e0f.jpg

14 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

They claim all the gates open at the same time but I have spotted ticket holders who must have walked though Gate A and they were walking though Bushy ground ' heading towards Gate D ' just before Gate D opened - that's a fair old walk.

The tents you see in the distance are Campsite assistants.

It soon fills up 

2013-wbc-12.thumb.jpg.7dceb7460d4d160136a7a75a522c9e0f.jpg

Wow wow wow wow , it’s the small things like watching it fill up and grow that are getting me so excitied - a whole new experience 

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Wow wow wow wow , it’s the small things like watching it fill up and grow that are getting me so excitied - a whole new experience 

a shot from the Tuesday - I am used to it by now as I have been working at it for 30 years  

You will be surprised how many is onsite a few days before the gates open as its a busy old place - this is the Bread and Roses that opens from the Sunday

wbc-9.thumb.jpg.0ee25498c8757bb03444c04da3ce14ac.jpg2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.a4569df3e4b567f93de892afd56ec965.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

Completely forgot about this morning :( I also assumed that this was similar to WaterAid volunteering (enter your application and then wait). Back to the drawing board, my application is in for WaterAid and I am hopeful they accept!

Me too, also thought it would be the same as WaterAid. 

Good luck!! :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, incident said:

The rule of thumb is supposed to be, if payment is taken the place is confirmed (subject to reference checking out, completing training, etc).

So I'd say be cautiously optimistic.

Thanks. I wasn't prepared for it to be quite so much like the big Ticket day - the crashing, the wait. Am just waiting for the email confirmation to come through before I can celebrate properly!

15 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

a shot from the Tuesday - I am used to it by now as I have been working at it for 30 years  

You will be surprised how many is onsite a few days before the gates open as its a busy old place - this is the Bread and Roses that opens from the Sunday

wbc-9.thumb.jpg.0ee25498c8757bb03444c04da3ce14ac.jpg2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.a4569df3e4b567f93de892afd56ec965.jpg

Oh keep the photos and advice coming please, excitement levels though the roof, I love the bread and roses anyway, that’s always one of my wed/thur night haunts, now I can go from the Sunday ... wow . Hadnt even occurred to me that it’ll be busy from the weekend before , yay ? 

I decided to try for a place this morning and got lucky.  There was clearly a lot of demand - pages crashing and site not responding, 3 failed attempts with the card payment etc.  It's just like normal ticket day.

It said that there was only Oxfam Shop volunteer spaces left but I kept trying and spaces became available again.

I've done Oxfam before and had a great time - but not at Glastonbury.  Lots of friends will be there as punters so it will be difficult to keep on track and not ley myself descend into total filth.

I'm not the kind of person to mug off shifts though - if I commit to something it will be done!

The important bit is I will be there!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh keep the photos and advice coming please, excitement levels though the roof, I love the bread and roses anyway, that’s always one of my wed/thur night haunts, now I can go from the Sunday ... wow . Hadnt even occurred to me that it’ll be busy from the weekend before , yay ? 

There is so much fun to be had before the festival starts - presuming Arcadia bring it (I know they're planning some changes), there'll be the great Tow & Hitch bar open in the evenings, you've got the Unfairground Crew bar with DJs most nights, and Maceo's in Block9, which is one of the best nights out on site.  Apparently, there are also some other nice quiet bars as well (Acoustic, Tom's Field and so on).

• Upvote 1