Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

marathonsteve

4 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

They will go live at 11 for Glastonbury and other festivals. Look at their website and facebook page well before then. The priority people could book from 5th.

You are a month out...... should read February not March. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, basicminds said:

Yes I am still in 2 minds about trying to sign up or go in just for the resale.  Tricky times! 

I have priority access so have had access the past week - I see this a lot - people hang on to try and buy a ticket and if they are unlucky they scramble about trying to find a place and most will discover there is not many places left.

It is best if you make up your mind now.

I don't volunteer at festivals just because I cant get a ticket and there is many like me who do it for other reasons.

-------- not my spelling ----- Oxfam policy --------

Cancelling any number of festivals within 7 days of applying: No admin fee

Cancelling a place at a festival before the 6-week cancellation deadline is £20 per festival. (You will not be charged any more than £60 if cancelling more than three):£20 per festival (£60 maximum)

Cancelling after 6-week deadline but has already successfully attended one or more festivals:Lose half of the deposit

Cancel after deadline with no valid reasons:Lose all the deposit

Cancel after deadline with valid reasons and evidence:£20

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I have priority access so have had access the past week - I see this a lot - people hang on to try and buy a ticket and if they are unlucky they scramble about trying to find a place and most will discover there is not many places left.

It is best if you make up your mind now.

I don't volunteer at festivals just because I cant get a ticket and there is many like me who do it for other reasons.

-------- not my spelling ----- Oxfam policy --------

Cancelling any number of festivals within 7 days of applying: No admin fee

Cancelling a place at a festival before the 6-week cancellation deadline is £20 per festival. (You will not be charged any more than £60 if cancelling more than three):£20 per festival (£60 maximum)

Cancelling after 6-week deadline but has already successfully attended one or more festivals:Lose half of the deposit

Cancel after deadline with no valid reasons:Lose all the deposit

Cancel after deadline with valid reasons and evidence:£20

I don't think I could work it and get a shift covering an 8 hour section of bands I really want to see or even must sees as that would defeat the object of it for me personally.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think I could work it and get a shift covering an 8 hour section of bands I really want to see or even must sees as that would defeat the object of it for me personally.

Sometimes it can be pot luck - I tell my WBC volunteers if they miss whoever at one event they are bound to catch them at a later event as I can shuffle people about so overall they don't miss whoever but with Oxfam its more fixed ' although they do have a facility to swap shifts but I have not a clue how many people were able to swap '.

The best way to look at is - A volunteer will never have as much freedom as a ticket holder although some with Oxfam can nominate to arrive early and they may work most of their shifts before the event starts.

Being a volunteer will never suit everyone.

Edited by glasto-worker

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Sometimes it can be pot luck - I tell my WBC volunteers if they miss whoever at one event they are bound to catch them at a later event as I can shuffle people about so overall they don't miss whoever but with Oxfam its more fixed ' although they do have a facility to swap shifts but I have not a clue how many people were able to swap '.

The best way to look at is - A volunteer will never have as much freedom as a ticket holder although some with Oxfam can nominate to arrive early and they may work most of their shifts before the event starts.

Being a volunteer will never suit everyone.

I presume you actually work high enough to employ/people work for you?

I know it's 3 8 hour shifts. Say at Glasto though if you had to work the Sunday afternoon to eve, you aren't getting any chances like that to see Kylie for example or if the Saturday headliner was really good etc.

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

Does anyone know if Oxfam volunteers are allowed to camp anywhere on site?

Staff are expected to camp in their designated staff campsite. Not just Oxfam, that applies to all groups.

Granted, it's not always adhered to and near impossible to police, but that's the official stance.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I presume you actually work high enough to employ/people work for you?

I know it's 3 8 hour shifts. Say at Glasto though if you had to work the Sunday afternoon to eve, you aren't getting any chances like that to see Kylie for example or if the Saturday headliner was really good etc.

not with Oxfam but with the WBC as I have been a volunteer with them the past 30 years

The WBC does not openly recruit they depend on Official Organiser's who will vouch for people on their Team { none of them have to pay a deposit }

some on my Team has been with me 20+ years so they also benefit as I am allowed to pick what shifts we do and where we work.

Oxfam is run completely different hence why they run a deposit system.

Oxfam also have a overlap system so its 8 1/4 hours and for most people one shift will be Overnight but I did spot some people being able to split a shift in two - it all depends on the event and what their requirements are.

I met some Oxfam volunteers last year doing ' 8 or 10 events per year ' so for them I am sure they were able to wangle ' better shifts '

after each event ' the event Manager of Oxfam ' { not sure their correct title but that is close enough } will complete a short report on each volunteer and that will state if they were on time for their shifts.

there is volunteer places for smaller charities and some of them ' do not work evenings or Overnight ' but those places go very fast.

its best to assume that ' the shifts will never suit everyone '

52 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

not with Oxfam but with the WBC as I have been a volunteer with them the past 30 years

The WBC does not openly recruit they depend on Official Organiser's who will vouch for people on their Team { none of them have to pay a deposit }

some on my Team has been with me 20+ years so they also benefit as I am allowed to pick what shifts we do and where we work.

Oxfam is run completely different hence why they run a deposit system.

Oxfam also have a overlap system so its 8 1/4 hours and for most people one shift will be Overnight but I did spot some people being able to split a shift in two - it all depends on the event and what their requirements are.

I met some Oxfam volunteers last year doing ' 8 or 10 events per year ' so for them I am sure they were able to wangle ' better shifts '

after each event ' the event Manager of Oxfam ' { not sure their correct title but that is close enough } will complete a short report on each volunteer and that will state if they were on time for their shifts.

there is volunteer places for smaller charities and some of them ' do not work evenings or Overnight ' but those places go very fast.

its best to assume that ' the shifts will never suit everyone '

See ideally I'd do early Tuesday Wednesday Thursday or Friday latest, that's why recycling team was one I looked at as you do 4/5 days but can finish by 12

49 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

See ideally I'd do early Tuesday Wednesday Thursday or Friday latest, that's why recycling team was one I looked at as you do 4/5 days but can finish by 12

Recycling crew do either 4 x 6 or 4 x 5 hours shifts and are generally 06/07.00 - 12.00 or 13.00-18.00

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Some information on Oxfam shifts, to clear up any misconception.

Typically, for Glastonbury, you'll do three shifts - one day (0545 to 1400) one evening (1345 to 2200) and one overnight (2145 to 0600)*.  These will be split over the five days of the show (Wed - Sun), though you may get one on Monday.  There are also the mythical early shifts if you are lucky - these run Sunday to Tues before the show, and you usually get three of the same shift (i.e. three days, or three overnight).

Shifts are allocated randomly, it doesn't matter how long you've been with Oxfam, or how many events a year you do.  Only thing that you get with experience is the risk of more responsibility, i.e. supervisor, shift leader etc

At Glastonbury, if you want to swap shifts, you can't do a single shift swap - you have to change out all three.  You need to find someone who is willing to change, go with them to the admin office, and get it sorted there.  This becomes pretty much impossible if you've asked to have the same shift pattern as your friend(s) - then you need two groups of people etc.

Chances are, you'll miss something you really want to see - it's the way it goes.  On the upside - you'll have a couple of decent nights out on site before the public arrives :).  And (presuming you turn up for your shifts!) - free festival!

* this might be wrong, because my memory is rubbish - maybe one or two hours later than these times, but you get the idea

That's an excellent summary, the only thing I'd add to that is for those lucky enough to be on a gate that doesn't run 24 hours, the times might vary a little and you may not get an overnight shift. For example on Blue Gate the shifts are 7:45 to 16:00 and 15:45 to 00:00 with no overnights.

For those who do get a place, I'd definitely suggest ticking the "I can do a shift on the Monday" box, as if you're lucky enough get rostered onto a Monday shift it'd probably be instead of either an overnight shift or the Sunday evening. You can then leave after 2pm when the roads have calmed down a bit.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

For example on Blue Gate the shifts are 7:45 to 16:00 and 15:45 to 00:00 with no overnights.

Useful to know, though I suppose that means a risk of missing another headliner, or having another early morning - the latter would definitely be a shocker for me... 

(Also, we may know each other, but no amount of creepy browsing of your post history is giving me any useful clues :) )

Me and my partner are going to try and get positions tomorrow. After five years of going with my dad it’ll be sad to be there without him, but he isn’t up for volunteering which is fair enough. I’m seeing it as a bit of a chance to give back and obviously ends the uncertainty! It has been a bleak winter not knowing.

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

6 hours ago, incident said:

Staff are expected to camp in their designated staff campsite. Not just Oxfam, that applies to all groups.

Granted, it's not always adhered to and near impossible to police, but that's the official stance.

Yes, you will be expected to camp in the designated camp site. I heard of somebody working with Festaff in 2017 who was thrown off site for camping with her friends in the main site (though I suspect she may also have missed her shift).

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

To add to this - security are pretty hot on removing tents from the public areas before Wednesday, and Oxfam need to be onsite from Tuesday at the latest, and you won't be able to camp in other crew camping areas on site, as those are restricted to the specific crews (unless you know someone who can give you permission).

I do know some people who have moved to be with their friends later in the week, but honestly, the (relative) quiet, security and access to facilities outweighs the extra 15 minutes or so that it takes to get back at the end of the night.

21 hours ago, incident said:

They're all on different weekends..

Yep - just dunno which to do. BD done well by pretty much nailing their core line up early (probably booked many of them last year or something). Also dunno if I qualify for Priority Status just doing one with them this year. E.g done 10 since 2011 which I think covers me for next year I.e Glasto 2020...

I was trying to imply that you could just say fuck it and do them all.. Nothing worse than being sat at home while a festival you liked the look of is taking place.  Though it does sometimes require some careful juggling of annual leave.

10 since 2011 would qualify you for a couple years yet under the 10 in 10 rule?

19 hours ago, mikegday said:

Me and my partner are going to try and get positions tomorrow. After five years of going with my dad it’ll be sad to be there without him, but he isn’t up for volunteering which is fair enough. I’m seeing it as a bit of a chance to give back and obviously ends the uncertainty! It has been a bleak winter not knowing.

well good luck for today - if you get places and you arrive on the Tuesday Your crew pass will get you into the ' interstage area ' { Pyramid back stage } and various ' general crew bars ' - note you need to double check as some crew bars issue a extra wrist band because without it you will not be able to reach that bar from the Wednesday - various areas have their own paper wrist band - so if in doubt ask.