Anyone recently quit smoking?

whitehorses

I'm 3 weeks clean for the first time - I'd never even thought about giving up, and I just woke up one day with no cravings at all after smoking 12 years. My last cigarette was disgusting even. So I took the chance to quit, and I guess I'm an ex-smoker now.

Slightly concerned because I don't think "waking up and not being addicted any more" is actually a thing, but I'm not thinking about it too much. And it has been handy to have a vape (with no nicotine) on hand for those times I'd be lighting up usually.

Glastonbury has triggered me to start again on more that one occasion. The "I'll just buy a pack for the festival and throw em away at the end" "I need a few for the mix"  Don't be fooled, just don't do it :)

Almost 9 months without one, I won't be having any at Glastonbury for sure.  

I gave up last April. Went to Vaping then reduced that to no Nicotine in 6 months then stopped that.

Only now Vape occasionally when drinking, which I am also cutting back to the bare minimum.

Glastonbury I will not just have a cheeky fag as I'm frightened that will trigger a relapse. My friend does it though and holidays where they will smoke there and then stop after (but the Vape anyway)

So zero nicotine and dry herb Vape for Glastonbury for me. Prefer the later anyway.

• Like 1

Quit smoking after my usual New Year's Day last hurrah of the festive binge. Was off the booze too so that helped get through Jan although always chill out in Jan. Using a vape, have been out a few pints since and that was going to be the big test, but have got through it so things are looking good.

I know Glastonbury is going to be a huge test as charging the thing will be a problem, but I'm hoping 6 months clean and I won't even consider it 

I gave up for about a year and a half once. It was at the same time as I gave up drink for about two years. Then I went to my first Glastonbury in a few years. I survived not smoking (or drinking) the first night by taking magic mushrooms. However at about 8am on the Thursday morning I thought 'fuck this, I'm having a fag and a drink', and proceeded to do so. I eventually went to bed when U2 were coming on in the rain on Friday evening. I can quite honestly say, that I haven't looked back since. Life without fags and a drink, to me, is boring. I've done the alternative, I've lived the alternative, and I don't want the alternative. However, that's just me. I'm sure that the saner advice on here might be the better option.

• Upvote 2

I quit two years ago (not that recent) down from 20 roll ups a day - but did it with a nicotine vape and smoking cannabis pure (without tobacco).

Taking the tobacco out of joints was harder than ditching fags but so worth it. 

One thing i did learn is you can't have 1 or 2 cigarettes, it needs to be all or nothing if you're already a daily smoker. Also theres a good bit on this podcast 'Say why to drugs' about why having one or two keeps you addicted, worth a listen...

iTunes:  https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/say-why-to-drugs/id1114492774?mt=2# 
Other: https://player.fm/series/say-why-to-drugs/tobacco

For glasto, and getting nicotine whilst i drink,  I'm going to get a juul with a bunch of pods as they have a long lasting battery and be charged on USB. Or maybe something similar like a SMOK NORD (you use juice, not pods for this but long lasting battery).

Best of luck, once you get used to vaping, quitting is a breeze.

I quit in 2005.   2006 was a fallow year so I didn't have a problem until 2007.   By then I was able to take or leave it.   If you can be confident you won't carry on smoking when you get home then fine - smoke to your heart's content.  If you don't trust yourself then I'd wear nicotine patches.  They really worked for me away from Glasto and took the edge off the craving until I was completely clean.

People can't/don't smoke so much in the tents nowadays so you won't see so many cues to make you fancy one in those so spend some time at Acoustic, Avalon, Glade, Dance Village etc.  For me I never really fancy one until I see someone enjoying one and that's when it's harder to resist.  Good luck.

Id like to say its been two years tgis month. I was smoking 20 a day then went to an Alan Carr seminar ans stopped there and then. Except i had three on my birthday and two at a wedding last week. Im scared quite honestly. I dont fancy vaping and im already thinking about taking a pack of twenty.

• 4 months later...

I quit smoking on the 1st January after over 30 years of smoking. It has been hard work and to be honest still don’t feel any real benefits, even though I know it is for the best.

The best advice I was given is cravings don’t last longer than 15 minutes, so all you have to do is not smoke for 15 minutes at a time. 

I suspect I will always miss smoking, now I just have to try and loose all the weight I have put on. 

@Hugh Jassgood willpower! 

@dotdash79? I think I’ll be happy just having a couple a year... not sure I could have none again ever. Well played 

@Bennykillyeah definite weight gain... Weird... you’ll feel the benefits in your lungs soon and that will make exercise seem easier. At least it did for me. Good luck 

Quit in March. On the vapes but not using that as much anymore. Got through Glasto fine.

Won't ever go back on them. Once I went for a run and realised how clear my lungs were that was it for me. Im also saving nearly 4k a year not buying them. 

More money for coke and hookers.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, caballosblancos said:

@The Nalhaha.

(4K wow...) 

4k Euro. A pack is 13 euro here so averaged about a tenner a day over a week, smoked more Friday and Saturday, more if Id had a boozy year - Glasto, holiday, stag dos etc so about that yeah. Missus smoked too, more than me, and shes quit (just about) so we worked out we're saving about 8k a year between us. Which is fucking mental. 

Frightening really but really noticing how little money I've been spending lately.