Campervan hire company recommendations

The other Bellboy

As we brought our van with us when we moved to NZ we need to hire one for this year.

It would be great to get some recommendations on reliable firms, will probably be flying into Heathrow so someone near there would be good but can be anywhere really. 

Any help you lovely peeps can provide will be greatly appreciated.

PS - yes i know its late to be looking but it has taken a while to really decide about making the trip, in the end i just can't imagine not using the tickets after being so lucky to get them!

Cheers 

11 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

As we brought our van with us when we moved to NZ we need to hire one for this year.

It would be great to get some recommendations on reliable firms, will probably be flying into Heathrow so someone near there would be good but can be anywhere really. 

Any help you lovely peeps can provide will be greatly appreciated.

PS - yes i know its late to be looking but it has taken a while to really decide about making the trip, in the end i just can't imagine not using the tickets after being so lucky to get them!

Cheers 

Here's a few, I've only ever used two of them and they're the two which were for renting caravans on site so not quite what you're after.  Also some are from different areas, but these are the links I had :)

http://www.adcaravanhire.co.uk/
http://www.bmvleisure.co.uk/caravan-event-hire/
https://coolcamping.com/campervans/campervan-hire
https://www.redhatchcampers.co.uk/prices-info
https://www.quirkycampers.co.uk/campervans/
https://www.swindoncaravansgroup.com/services/hire/
http://www.wessexcaravanservices.com/caravan-hire-.html

I will be going in a camper van this year for the first time due to us expecting a new addition to the family in 6 weeks...so didn’t fancy taking a young baby with everything they need and camping...as I started looking prices were way more than I thought they would be! 

I have ended up using these https://www.camptoo.co.uk/ where you rent the camper off an individual rather than using a rental company....it was a 3rd of the price I had found anywhere else!! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RAMMAN said:

I will be going in a camper van this year for the first time due to us expecting a new addition to the family in 6 weeks...so didn’t fancy taking a young baby with everything they need and camping...as I started looking prices were way more than I thought they would be! 

I have ended up using these https://www.camptoo.co.uk/ where you rent the camper off an individual rather than using a rental company....it was a 3rd of the price I had found anywhere else!! 

PS I only booked last week and there were loads of options!

I that doesn’t work out - though I really hope it does - we’ve used bmvleisure (second on the list above posted by Clarkete) before and can highly recommend them.  

I assume you are aware that you need a campervan pass if you are planning to use the campervan fields and that you are in the lucky position of having one already?  If not, some kind soul on here (sorry I don’t remember who) usually goes to a huge amount of trouble to organise the passing on of unwanted ones - at face value - closer to the festival but obviously there is no guarantee.

Hope you have a wonderful festival.

9 hours ago, mandolin said:

If not, some kind soul on here (sorry I don’t remember who) usually goes to a huge amount of trouble to organise the passing on of unwanted ones

that's not possible anymore, as the name on the cv pass has to match the name on a ticket arriving with the campervan.

Edited by eFestivals

On 2/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, RAMMAN said:

No worries...hope you get something sorted 

Contacted a renter (6 berth), cheap as chips compared to a rental company. Anyhoo, started a virtual conversation with the renter. Came clean as to what I needed the campervan for. He shot me down due to us heading to a festival, but wished me well on my quest. I wonder would most decline a festival rental? Or should I be a bit more liberal with the truth?(would much prefer to be upfront tbh!) Gracias

1 hour ago, Peter_Quaife said:

Contacted a renter (6 berth), cheap as chips compared to a rental company. Anyhoo, started a virtual conversation with the renter. Came clean as to what I needed the campervan for. He shot me down due to us heading to a festival, but wished me well on my quest. I wonder would most decline a festival rental? Or should I be a bit more liberal with the truth?(would much prefer to be upfront tbh!) Gracias

One renter told me it was to do with the insurance, but not sure whether that was true or just an excuse to whack another 50.00 onto the hire amount - who knows

Before worrying about a van, have you got a campervan pass?

As Neil says above, they're not as straightforward as one would hope. 

If you don't have a pass, there are some third party sites mentioned in other discussions here, but they can have low availability - alternatively I believe the CV passes also come up in the resale, for a brief time. 

@mandolinmentioned BMV, I've used both them and AD from my list, but in both cases for caravans being delivered onto the site. 

Edited by clarkete

2 hours ago, Peter_Quaife said:

I think you need to be honest with the rental owner. If you mis-lead them in any way they would have just cause for claiming breech of contract and seek financial redress. 

And think of the potential worry and problems that could occur if the Glastonbury gods are angered and a very dirty, muddy campervan is returned.

13 hours ago, Lycra said:

I think you need to be honest with the rental owner. If you mis-lead them in any way they would have just cause for claiming breech of contract and seek financial redress. 

And think of the potential worry and problems that could occur if the Glastonbury gods are angered and a very dirty, muddy campervan is returned.

we rented a campervan in 2007 (first Glastonbury) and as it became apparent the weather wasnt go to play nicely, bought ourselves a small gazebo to sit outside the front door.... muddy boots, coats, waterproofs etc were left outside..

old towels or dustsheets on the camper floor is an idea too..

22 hours ago, Peter_Quaife said:

Oh no....that’s a bit of a pain!! I was up front with where I was going and as you say I think it’s better like that!! I did notice on my rental that they already indicated that festivals were ok (I am not sure if you can filter options like this on the website?) I would suggest searching different areas to widen your reach maybe somewhere on route to Glastonbury?? 

Thanks for the comments folks, i will be checking into it again soon.

We have campervan passes sorted and as i've been a van owner for over 10 years and always used them for Glastonbury i know how to keep them clean there so i'm not going to mention taking it to a festival. I've seen some rental sites that do say that you can't take it to a festival and i won't use any of those, if they don't specifically exclude festival use then i'm not going to mention it. 

I've looked at the personal rental option and the only thing that worries me is the lack of backup if there are any issues. Won't arrive in the UK until the weekend before and so no time to sort anything out if the renter has issues. 

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

i like the idea from @clarkete to get a rental caravan delivered to site...

Over the last few years they have had them pitched at the back of East 25, it has to be the most stress free option..

Yes it seemed to be some sort of penance that most of the years the spot they get allocated is quite far, considering they're one of the first things delivered to site.

I've had times when I wouldn't have been able to drive a campervan and yet my wing(wo)man and I are too old and lazy to tent it these days, so essentially it's extended the years when we've been able to attend beyond the limitations of our wussiness.  Of course it's an amount of work for someone to deliver those to site and then collect them afterwards, so they're more expensive than you may expect and also despite that they can book out really quickly - I've had times that I've struggled straight after ticket day which I think is because there's a lot of repeat booking.

• 2 weeks later...