Frank turner

cidy

7 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Update. There is a post on the Frank Turner Army from a fan who emailed Frank to ask if he would be playing Glastonbury. His reply was, “I couldn’t possibly comment...”.  That sounds like a yes.

The other half will be very pleased to hear that. He is a big fan. I wouldn't say that I was the same but he delivers live.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, Gnomicide said:

If I remember correctly, when he played The Other he was already committed to playing another festival that night (small event, something to do with his Mother). I think he got a longer than usual time for the stage opener too. 

Correct!

11 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Update. There is a post on the Frank Turner Army from a fan who emailed Frank to ask if he would be playing Glastonbury. His reply was, “I couldn’t possibly comment...”.  That sounds like a yes.

Great news loved his Other Stage set easily one of the best things I've seen there.

35 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I just can't work out where Frank would play. 

I would definitely see him at a festival. I used to travel the country to see him but haven't been able to get into his latter albums/shows at all ☹️

I think he could go on almost any area bar Silver Hayes. I can equally see him high up on John Peel (maybe even headline), afternoon on Pyramid, early evening Other and if he just does solo shows, headlining Avalon as someone on this thread has heard,  Leftfield or maybe Hell Stage.

Chances are he'd do more than one show. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I think he could go on almost any area bar Silver Hayes. I can equally see him high up on John Peel (maybe even headline), afternoon on Pyramid, early evening Other and if he just does solo shows, headlining Avalon as someone on this thread has heard,  Leftfield or maybe Hell Stage.

Chances are he'd do more than one show. 

Yeah I thought JP headline, I'd say he's bigger than Metronomy and about as big as Phoenix so wouldn't be out of place topping the bill. Otherwise yeah, high up on Other, Leftfield. 

Been rumours (I think) of him playing Avalon as well.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, cidy said:

Fingers crossed for Friday night in Avalon then 

8 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Any idea on which night? Do we think he'll be playing a bigger stage as well?

Screenshot_20190416-125942_Chrome.thumb.jpg.caa3c4418e7cff8037cb2ae91122ea0e.jpg

Edited by Gnomicide

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Don't be surprised if he pops up anywhere from Leftfield to fireside at Strummerville 

I hope so as I may miss the Friday night spot. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these. He is good mates with Billy Bragg so you never know. 

I've been lucky enough to have seen him many times over the last 10 years or so and there was a point where I was obsessed with love, Ire & Song.  I've lost a lot of interest over the last 5 years or so and won't be busting a gut to see him at G, but he always puts on a great show.  Can't see him trumping Stormzy or Tame Impala, purely from the point of view that I've seen him so much already (including G2015)

Similar to Username, I used to be an obsessive but I have cooled off in recent years. Still, I think his latest was a return to form after two middling albums and is only eclipsed by EKMB in my personal ranking of his back catalogue.

I'll see where the wind takes me, but seeing Stormzy for the first time will likely win over seeing FT for the 16th.

• Upvote 2

I'd expect him to be doing the Leftfield round-up show the afternoon (so doing 3-4 songs solo along with others).

Or he's been doing a book tour for his new book recently, Q&A followed by a solo set. Last time he did Glastonbury the previous book had just come out and he did a similar thing with Billy interviewing him and him doing a few songs in between (the ones they talked about) for an hour in the afternoon. So that could happen again. Plus secret set at Strummerville probably (it's happened the last two times he played the festival).

1 hour ago, Andeeroo said:

Similar to Username, I used to be an obsessive but I have cooled off in recent years. Still, I think his latest was a return to form after two middling albums and is only eclipsed by EKMB in my personal ranking of his back catalogue.

I'll see where the wind takes me, but seeing Stormzy for the first time will likely win over seeing FT for the 16th.

Funnily enough, I thought his last one was his weakest yet, love Positive Songs, 2nd only to Love, Ire & Song in my mind. 

2 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Yeah I'm the same also. Used to be proper obsessed, knew all the songs and the B sides and stuff. Still love him and his music was an important part of my life. Simmered down a bit now though but still see him when I can, saw him in January and he's as great live as ever. 

Don't think I'd miss Stormzy for him but hopefully he plays a few more slots at the festival.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Funnily enough, I thought his last one was his weakest yet, love Positive Songs, 2nd only to Love, Ire & Song in my mind. 

My order would be something like EKMB > Be More Kind > Sleep is for the Week > Love, Ire & Song > Tape Deck Heart > Positive Songs > Poetry of the Deed.

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah I'm the same also. Used to be proper obsessed, knew all the songs and the B sides and stuff. Still love him and his music was an important part of my life. Simmered down a bit now though but still see him when I can, saw him in January and he's as great live as ever. 

Don't think I'd miss Stormzy for him but hopefully he plays a few more slots at the festival.

Yeah, snap. No longer seek out the B-sides but I still anticipate each new album. I missed his main slot on the Other stage last time and still saw him twice over the course of the fest so I’m sure there’ll be plenty of opportunity.

Edited by Andeeroo

30 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

My order would be something like EKMB > Be More Kind > Sleep is for the Week > Love, Ire & Song > Tape Deck Heart > Positive Songs > Poetry of the Deed.

We're getting a bit Radiohead in here :D

Love, Ire & Song > Positive Songs  > EKMB > Sleep > Poetry > Tape Deck > BMK

I don't really care for any of his albums other than:

Love, Ire & Song;

Sleep is for the week;

Poetry of the Deed; and, 

EKMB. 

And the last couple of times I've seen him I just really didn't enjoy it as much. The crowd loved it so I was the definite minority, and it made me realise that maybe my love affair was over. 

As such, he'll 99% lose out to Tame Impala here, but you never know...