Frank turner

cidy

2 minutes ago, sedra said:

Saw him in Bournemouth on Friday - brilliant show, so much energy and whole crowd fully engaged. Would love him to be back this year again! Always a great gig. 

Was at Bournemouth too, another great show, he & the SS never give less than 100%, reliably brilliant every time. Would love him back at the farm with another show at strummerville too

1 hour ago, Giraffe Man said:

Was at Bournemouth too, another great show, he & the SS never give less than 100%, reliably brilliant every time. Would love him back at the farm with another show at strummerville too

Was also at the the Bournemouth gig. It was fab. Always puts on a good show.

Avalon does seem a bit small for him, unless he’s playing on his own rather than with the band.

I’d put him around John Peel headliner I guess. He supposedly doesn’t have a great relationship with the festival although he did play the Other Stage a couple of years ago so maybe they’ve buried the hatchet

Edited by Mouseboy11

Great live act.  Saw him again in Birmingham on this tour and it was just brilliant.   I'd always hoped he would get a good Pyramid spot one day but his ascent seems to have stalled now.

He's said before that he loves Glastonbury but the feeling isn't mutual with the bookers.   Whenever he has played recently, the spot's been lower than you'd expect (e.g. 1st on Other when he was coming off the back of an arena tour) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a solo acoustic Avalon headliner.

1 hour ago, RyanS said:

Great live act.  Saw him again in Birmingham on this tour and it was just brilliant.   I'd always hoped he would get a good Pyramid spot one day but his ascent seems to have stalled now.

He's said before that he loves Glastonbury but the feeling isn't mutual with the bookers.   Whenever he has played recently, the spot's been lower than you'd expect (e.g. 1st on Other when he was coming off the back of an arena tour) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a solo acoustic Avalon headliner.

Wasn't he on early as he had promised to play at his local fete or something like that later in the evening?

1 hour ago, RyanS said:

If I remember correctly, when he played The Other he was already committed to playing another festival that night (small event, something to do with his Mother). I think he got a longer than usual time for the stage opener too. 

I always get Frank Turner and Frank Sidebottom mixed up.

if they were sat next to each other I wouldn't know them apart.

I know one has a massive paper machet , but which one ... who knows. I mean have they ever been seen in a room together? 

21 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

"never plays a bad set"? Hmmm. I saw him at Southampton Guildhall a few years ago (I'm saying 2014-ish). Had liked his music up to that point. Dreadful acoustics, boring set. We left after 30 mins. Might give him another go if there's nothing else on. But might not. ?

That's the wonder of Glastonbury. Having Frank Turner as a back up is a great position to be in.  Shame you didn't enjoy his set though, he usually is a lot of fun

On 2/4/2019 at 7:47 AM, Huckleberry Finn said:

I imagine if this is true, they would be a set elsewhere, probably on a bigger stage in the middle of that same afternoon.

Believe he did Other and Leftfield in 2015.

Other, Leftfield and Strummerville in 2015. Leftfield set was an acoustic / Q&A thing.

Queen's Head, Strummerville and Leftfield in 2010 (and Leftfield again as part of Bill's Round Up thing)

I'm not sure he's any bigger now than he was in 2015 so Avalon headliner seems reasonable to me. Just finished a small arena tour that didn't sell amazingly. But if he's there an extra set at Strummerville and Leftfield seems almost a shoe-in given his background with Strummerville and Billy.

There was a rumour he was playing up at strummervile in 2017 so bimbled on up there stayed till around 4 am ish all to no avail ,great night tho all the same .

Saw a few touts outside the motorpoint and asked how much they were selling for out of curiosity ,'how much do you want to pay' was the reply ? nice too see the touts struggling .

On 2/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, cdm22 said:

I've heard via the friend of a friend grapevine that he is headlining the Avalon stage.

Oh, that would be brilliant. It will be rammed but never mind. I actually first came across Frank when he played solo at Leftfield in 2010. Have been a huge fan ever since. Was at the front for his ridiculously early slot on the Other Stage. I just checked his website and the Glastonbury dates are still gig-free.