The 'Friday Afternoon Rock Slot'

Username taken

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think they’ve got enough mainstream appeal for it. The novelty appeal is at a baseline too.

I think people are really overstating what sort of sized metal/heavier band Glastonbury would pull. Talk of Slipknot, Kiss, Def Leppard etc there's no chance of. It'll be a bad who would play a similar slot at Download, but who has mainstream appeal. I was initially thinking Slash but he's now in Slovakia. Looking at previous years it'll be a band like Whitesnake, Alter Bridge, Alice in Chains, Slash, Status Quo etc.

22 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Sadly, they look like they're ensconced firmly in Eastern Europe for the weekend.  If we're ruling Iggy out for having to travel thousands of miles in his dotage, I think we have to apply the same logic to Coverdale.  Shame, as they'd be ideal.

Yeah, I know but I'm not allowing the dream to die!

13 minutes ago, LeCecil said:

I think people are really overstating what sort of sized metal/heavier band Glastonbury would pull. Talk of Slipknot, Kiss, Def Leppard etc there's no chance of. It'll be a bad who would play a similar slot at Download, but who has mainstream appeal. I was initially thinking Slash but he's now in Slovakia. Looking at previous years it'll be a band like Whitesnake, Alter Bridge, Alice in Chains, Slash, Status Quo etc.

I’d watch Alice in Chains but I just don’t see them In the same bracket as the others. Royal Blood are a pop-rock act who are played on Radio 1,  Motörhead have/had a song that is on most Best Rock Anthems and a well known front man.

AIC were pretty big but not huge 25 years ago and i’m not sure many pyramid dwellers would know anything since/with the new singer?If I heard/read the name anywhere i’d Pay attention... but apart from rock line-ups I haven’t in a decade?

So run down of the rumours so far:

- GVF not technically ruled out as they are free on the Friday - but similar to Iggy & Def Leppard they would be going Denmark-England-Sweden-Germany over 4 days which is improbable.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd again, a question whether they could do 5 UK dates in a row with a glasto afternoon set in between Manchester and London gigs.
- Prophets of Rage - not about, doing the August festivals.
- Wolf Alice - ruled out due to them doing Truck festival
- System of a Down - not about, no Europe dates
- Alice in Chains available & possibly most feasible out of the suggestions so far but as what was said earlier: very little mainstream appeal
- Metallica secret set - my incredibly hopeful guess

10 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

So run down of the rumours so far:

- GVF not technically ruled out as they are free on the Friday - but similar to Iggy & Def Leppard they would be going Denmark-England-Sweden-Germany over 4 days which is improbable.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd again, a question whether they could do 5 UK dates in a row with a glasto afternoon set in between Manchester and London gigs.
- Prophets of Rage - not about, doing the August festivals.
- Wolf Alice - ruled out due to them doing Truck festival
- System of a Down - not about, no Europe dates
- Alice in Chains available & possibly most feasible out of the suggestions so far but as what was said earlier: very little mainstream appeal
- Metallica secret set - my incredibly hopeful guess

Prophets of Rage are at Mad Cool, so they're certainly about a lot closer to Glastonbury than August (2 weeks later) but there's still a big gap atm. 

Is the most obvious answer simply that there isn't one this year and that it's Bastille playing 3rd down or something? Emily did mention the slot as if it was continuing though, right?

add The Raconteurs to that list. They're my #1 hope

but the Skynrd cover band seems quite possible too, as does the unannounced Metallica option, as Lars will be joining Promise of the Real and Lady Gaga over at the Park for Bradley Cooper's big set of guests 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

Prophets of Rage are at Mad Cool, so they're certainly about a lot closer to Glastonbury than August (2 weeks later) but there's still a big gap atm. 

Is the most obvious answer simply that there isn't one this year and that it's Bastille playing 3rd down or something? Emily did mention the slot as if it was continuing though, right?

Didn't realise Prophets of Rage had been announced for Mad Cool, previously their European dates started in August. Could have been held off the poster given they're headlining Boomtown.

That being said their ticket prices for Brixton were £60+. So not sure what they'd get for playing the festival given they seem to be more Profits of Rage....