The 'Friday Afternoon Rock Slot'

Username taken

4 minutes ago, Filthy said:

Kiss are in the UK in July

Are playing in Norway on Rock Slot Friday... Free the rest of the weekend though. I love KISS and will be seeing them in Manchester but I don’t think their egos would allow them to take anything but a headline slot, also are notoriously money oriented 

Weird shout....could bring me the horizon do it? They’ve had royal blood so could go with a “rock band” from the same generation. 

BMTH are getting announced for a lot of the euro fests around glasto and with APE their only U.K. “headlining” appearance...I really think they may be booked...kinda perfect for them if they wanna move into mainstream more. 

If they aren’t in this slot, I’ve got a feeling they’ll be playing some stage. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, endswithMJ said:

Weird shout....could bring me the horizon do it? They’ve had royal blood so could go with a “rock band” from the same generation. 

BMTH are getting announced for a lot of the euro fests around glasto and with APE their only U.K. “headlining” appearance...I really think they may be booked...kinda perfect for them if they wanna move into mainstream more. 

If they aren’t in this slot, I’ve got a feeling they’ll be playing some stage. 

They're playing Rock Werchter on Friday and Lollapalooza Sweden on Saturday

On 2/2/2019 at 9:12 AM, Hotchilidog said:

Scorpions doing the rounds this year,  (i’m Seeing them twice), but I guess only the godawful Winds of Change is their biggest hit with h general public. One of those Scorps gig is with Toto, how about Africa making it’s Pyramid debut?

Scorpions have been announced for Bloodstock as a UK festival exclusive

20 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Really enjoyed them last year. 

20 hours ago, zico martin said:

The best possible outcome I would say :)

I keep meaning to catch them live but it's just been bad timing so far. 

18 hours ago, henry bear said:

Quite possibly, no shows announced beyond Greece on 24th. Other contenders;

Iggy Pop - looks like he’ll be in Europe this summer.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - in the UK, free on the Friday, but it’d mean playing 5 days on the bounce, which makes it unlikely.

The Darkness. Please, no.

Ooh, I didn't even check their dates but that's promising. I'd take Iggy too. Didn't even know htis slot was a "thing" till this thread. Enter Shikari had a couple of mentions, think they could fit.. 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gonna piss on your chips but enter shikari on the pyramid would have a tiny crowd and go down like a lead balloon 

They're not my chips really, me wife loves em though. Ah, they've been doing some decent sized venues, didn't they headline Park a couple of years ago? Don't think 5pm on a Friday is out of the question. Would love Alice In Chains but are they even as popular as Enter Shikari? Not sure..

Just now, RichardWaller said:

They're not my chips really, me wife loves em though. Ah, they've been doing some decent sized venues, didn't they headline Park a couple of years ago? Don't think 5pm on a Friday is out of the question. Would love Alice In Chains but are they even as popular as Enter Shikari? Not sure..

Headlining the John Peel and playing during the day on the pyramid is two completely different things. They are relatively big within their own circles however they have virtually no crossover with the general public. It’s a bit different to booking Motörhead in which even a causal non-fan (like me) would know a couple of songs.

I also think that 5th on the pyramid would be too high of a slot for them anyway.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Headlining the John Peel and playing during the day on the pyramid is two completely different things. They are relatively big within their own circles however they have virtually no crossover with the general public. It’s a bit different to booking Motörhead in which even a causal non-fan (like me) would know a couple of songs.

I also think that 5th on the pyramid would be too high of a slot for them anyway.

Fair point. I can't name more than two ZZ Top songs and don't think I know anyone who can, but our group loved their set on the Pyramid in 2016. Suppose there are only so many almost novelty rock acts where everyone knows two songs by if that's what they're going for for this slot. Europe, Journey?

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Gonna piss on your chips but enter shikari on the pyramid would have a tiny crowd and go down like a lead balloon 

Played the Other stage 2013 (I think) & a set on Leftfield the next day, relatively decent sized crowd from what I remember but you might be right about them on the Pyramid.

gojira are playing Hellfest in France on the 21st and have just announced a date in Brixton on the 30th - dunno if they’d be big enough for the Friday Pyramid rock slot (well, to be honest they’re definitely not!) but they’re bloody good and I’d very much like to see em headlining the Truth stage 

49 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

gojira are playing Hellfest in France on the 21st and have just announced a date in Brixton on the 30th - dunno if they’d be big enough for the Friday Pyramid rock slot (well, to be honest they’re definitely not!) but they’re bloody good and I’d very much like to see em headlining the Truth stage 

Great shout! Amazing at Bloodstock last year, finally stepped up a level. Have to say I am intrigued as to who will be on the Truth and Earrache stages this year. Ironically one of Earrache's biggest success stories is not an extreme band but the more conventional (and very good) Massive Wagons.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, ParkRanger14 said:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but it won’t be royal blood as they are uk exclusive to reading and Leeds 

Royal Blood played this so called slot in 2017 so don't think anyone is suggesting it will be them, it's just the slot they are referring too..

I would love it to be Iggy but also accept some Def Leopard cheese :D