The 'Friday Afternoon Rock Slot'

Username taken

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Well I already have a ticket.

Could The Raconteurs do it?

Nah they're a good credible band. New tunes are super. 

If we're going down Whitesnake, Judas Priest, Def Leppard route why not Foreigner? Make it into the "Joke Rock" slot and just have formulaic sad old bastard bands that will end up on Jeremy Clarksons next "Best driving anthems" compilation. . 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ParkRanger14 said:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but it won’t be royal blood as they are uk exclusive to reading and Leeds 

Good, they suck hairy ass.

Check out the fucking bangers on here

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foreigner/2018/mohegan-sun-arena-uncasville-ct-1b9705ec.html

Book em!

Or just get Lou Gramm in solo.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lou-gramm/2019/scottish-rite-auditorium-collingswood-nj-395fd03.html

Edited by The Nal

4 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

They aren't. Gold circle and a lot of close seats available for Wembley still. Loads for coventry too. Support is the Manic Street Preachers, who I guess are intent on not seeing their own homes this summer at all.

Christ, didn't realise the manics were supporting them either. Bon Jovi just miss my radar all the time. Mind i remember them doing a few stadium gigs a few years ago so it just seems that whenever the tax bills come out they decide to get the band back together. 

Manics are doing a lot of gigs. Did I not read somewhere that they don't like Glastonbury? May have been Nicky or James who said they were bored of it? 

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Slipknot or The Darkness would be a laugh. Would be up for Marlyn Manson too for all the ex-moshers.

He was brilliant at Download last year. The surprise of the festival. He really interacted with the audience too, unlike Axl whose only interaction was "you know where you are download ? You're at Donington baby"

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Hard-disagree on this one. Its patronising to a genre that the festival has largely held in contempt.

That the G has always largely been cool on metal is a separate issue IMHO. I wouldn't have any issue if there was also a reggae slot, a hip hop slot, etc.  I don't think it's being overly prescriptive.

That said, the Pyramid bookers largely get it right anyway.

I'd love to see Def Leppard do this, but in addition to their Donington 'exclusive' a quick check has them with Norway gigs on Thurs and Sat and as close as it is, I can't seem them moving their stage show back and across the North Sea like that, and if they're doing Glasto they're not doing it half-arsed stripped down with the Glasto banner as a backdrop 

50 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That the G has always largely been cool on metal is a separate issue IMHO. I wouldn't have any issue if there was also a reggae slot, a hip hop slot, etc.  I don't think it's being overly prescriptive.

That said, the Pyramid bookers largely get it right anyway.

Not just metal but all forms of rock music it could be argued. Drain-pipe skinny hipsters, well turned out posh kids yer nan likes and aging stars to one side.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not sure why you would exclude the latter types of rock music? Regardless, it's still by far the dominant music at the festival. At least during the daytime.

The rock on show has rarely encroached upon the traditional fayre catered for by Reading. GF has not kept as wide a berth from other areas of music. Folk/"dance"/pop to name but three.

30 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The rock on show has rarely encroached upon the traditional fayre catered for by Reading. GF has not kept as wide a berth from other areas of music. Folk/"dance"/pop to name but three.

I take your meaning...(I think).  Where Reading has booked the likes of RHCP and Limp Bizkit, the G has been more likely to go for, say, R.E.M. and U2?

I dunno if that's the result of any sort of anti-rock ethos. It's maybe just been our good luck.