Wilderness 2019

FestivalJamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone been to this festival before and if so is it any good? Bought a ticket as a massive Bombay Bicycle Club fan but have been reading it's a festival full of tory families (David Cameron went I believe) where burgers are like £11 and lots leave before the headliners are even coming on?

10 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

Has anyone been to this festival before and if so is it any good? Bought a ticket as a massive Bombay Bicycle Club fan but have been reading it's a festival full of tory families (David Cameron went I believe) where burgers are like £11 and lots leave before the headliners are even coming on?

Went last year and yes there are posh bits - but they are easily avoided as are the Tory twats

Some places burgers are expensive but most stalls are average festival prices. Drinks are pricey though.

Headliners were packed and late night stuff very busy indeed.

The feel was really good, laid back and still had the decent festival edge to it especially after dark.

We really enjoyed it even though we had doubts - so are going again this year ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Went last year and yes there are posh bits - but they are easily avoided as are the Tory twats

Some places burgers are expensive but most stalls are average festival prices. Drinks are pricey though.

Headliners were packed and late night stuff very busy indeed.

The feel was really good, laid back and still had the decent festival edge to it especially after dark.

We really enjoyed it even though we had doubts - so are going again this year ?

That's a lot more positive than I'd been reading so I'm very relieved! Thanks for the info. 

I'm looking forward to it!

I went last year, and am going again this year.

I largely agree with the post above, with one slight difference - beer/cider prices I found to be about the same as other mainstream festivals, so yes expensive but not unexpected, except that instead of generic piss water the offerings tended to be from various trendy breweries (definitely Meantime, can't remember which others) - so for my personal taste the offering was slightly better value and much more varied than you'd get at a Festival Republic / Global event where you'd pay the same £5 but get Carlsberg.

Yeah, there's some posh stuff that made me cringe a little bit, but it's easily avoidable and despite all the paid extras (banquets, activities, etc) that you'd expect to create some kind of division I actually think the crowd was probably friendlier and more inclusive than most.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, incident said:

I went last year, and am going again this year.

I largely agree with the post above, with one slight difference - beer/cider prices I found to be about the same as other mainstream festivals, so yes expensive but not unexpected, except that instead of generic piss water the offerings tended to be from various trendy breweries (definitely Meantime, can't remember which others) - so for my personal taste the offering was slightly better value and much more varied than you'd get at a Festival Republic / Global event where you'd pay the same £5 but get Carlsberg.

Yeah, there's some posh stuff that made me cringe a little bit, but it's easily avoidable and despite all the paid extras (banquets, activities, etc) that you'd expect to create some kind of division I actually think the crowd was probably friendlier and more inclusive than most.

That's great to hear RE beer, I don't resent paying so much if it's a little more special. 

I won't be paying for any extras, is it something you've experience of/ recommend? 

Nope, the closest I came was walking past while things were going on - to be honest none of the extras seemed worth paying for and none of them were interesting enough that I resented not having access to them. But then I dislike planning my day at festivals generally, if I had booked something I'd probably have missed it anyway.

It's probably worth saying that I found it to be probably the most relaxed vibe I've seen at any festival - for me that's a good thing, but I do recognise that others may not see it like that - if someone is wanting an in your face all out party like Boomtown they may be disappointed.

36 minutes ago, incident said:

Nope, the closest I came was walking past while things were going on - to be honest none of the extras seemed worth paying for and none of them were interesting enough that I resented not having access to them. But then I dislike planning my day at festivals generally, if I had booked something I'd probably have missed it anyway.

It's probably worth saying that I found it to be probably the most relaxed vibe I've seen at any festival - for me that's a good thing, but I do recognise that others may not see it like that - if someone is wanting an in your face all out party like Boomtown they may be disappointed.

I saw a yoga class was upwards of £20, absolutely not worth it. Hot tubs £45 per person! 

Relaxed suits me fine, I've a few other festivals lined up so it'll be a nice change of pace.

Thanks for your info! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarthSaul said:

So I've been looking at the website and you can only take 12 cans of beer in per person. Are there bars in the campsite?? 

Not sure, there were lots of stalls selling stuff but we had plenty of drink as the searches were not as good as they might have been.

34 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

that's what I like to hear re searches, thanks! 

They asked what we had, so I pointed to various bags and stuff and told them '6 cans'. They opened one bag and looked at the top and that was it.
Some others did seem to have bags searched better but nothing like some festivals I have been too.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They asked what we had, so I pointed to various bags and stuff and told them '6 cans'. They opened one bag and looked at the top and that was it.
Some others did seem to have bags searched better but nothing like some festivals I have been too.

Hmm I think I'll have to pack carefully/discreetly then, not much of a risk taker when it involves my money 

• 1 month later...

I went a few years ago, and wouldn't go back. It really wasn't my thing. Very stuck up, expensive bars (I seem to remember it was circa £8 for a pint) full of selfish posh twats. They changed the headliners times without making any effort to notify anyone. 

Pros, the toilets were very clean. The site was nice. 

28 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I went a few years ago, and wouldn't go back. It really wasn't my thing. Very stuck up, expensive bars (I seem to remember it was circa £8 for a pint) full of selfish posh twats. They changed the headliners times without making any effort to notify anyone. 

Pros, the toilets were very clean. The site was nice. 

Drinks prices are my big fear for this :( 

I did book a dinner at pizza pilgrims for 20 quid though- pizza by the metre(whatever that means), olives/salad and an aperol spritz which I thought was actually good value

12 minutes ago, DarthSaul said:

Drinks prices are my big fear for this :( 

I did book a dinner at pizza pilgrims for 20 quid though- pizza by the metre(whatever that means), olives/salad and an aperol spritz which I thought was actually good value

I seem to remember it's £6.50 a pint? Not the best, but not the end of the world either...