Inequality

feral chile

The interactive power point esque imagery is doing my head in on that link. 

In terms of your question, yes, inequality is necessary for economic growth in terms of the form of barely regulated capitalism we have in society. It's also a natural consequence of freedom. 

Even in a totalitarian communist society, there would still be some forms of inequality, not necessarily economic, but job satisfaction, etc. 

This isn't to say we should accept inequality, but it is the reason why a key term is "equal opportunities". A true meritocracy would give everyone the same chances, regardless of gender, skin colour, sexual preference, and, importantly, wealth of parents. That last one doesn't get talked about, despite being the greatest driver of our entrenched class system. 

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The interactive power point esque imagery is doing my head in on that link. 

In terms of your question, yes, inequality is necessary for economic growth in terms of the form of barely regulated capitalism we have in society. It's also a natural consequence of freedom. 

Even in a totalitarian communist society, there would still be some forms of inequality, not necessarily economic, but job satisfaction, etc. 

This isn't to say we should accept inequality, but it is the reason why a key term is "equal opportunities". A true meritocracy would give everyone the same chances, regardless of gender, skin colour, sexual preference, and, importantly, wealth of parents. That last one doesn't get talked about, despite being the greatest driver of our entrenched class system. 

Well it's an ad for the OU by the look of it.

I agree about wealth of parents, as this affects opportunity. Social contacts, knowing how to access opportunities etc.

The problem with equality is status. We'll invent a pecking order.

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Yep we create hierarchies even in communist societies which is why they don't work and why do we do that? To quote Oscar Wilde

Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power. 

18 hours ago, feral chile said:

In theory we all had an equal chance to get tickets for Glastonbury but some had better computers and connections than others.  Is that a pecking order or just luck?

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

In theory we all had an equal chance to get tickets for Glastonbury but some had better computers and connections than others.  Is that a pecking order or just luck?

but yeah, I get your point.

Lack of availability creates inequality: for example, not everyone is going to have a satisfying job, because there's not enough of those satisfying jobs (nor can there be).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

but yeah, I get your point.

Lack of availability creates inequality: for example, not everyone is going to have a satisfying job, because there's not enough of those satisfying jobs (nor can there be).

We think of some jobs as intrinsically rewarding and others as economically rewarding. Is that accurate? Or just market forces at play?

2 minutes ago, feral chile said:

We think of some jobs as intrinsically rewarding and others as economically rewarding. Is that accurate? Or just market forces at play?

Yeah, I'd say that's accurate - tho it's also very subjective. Some people will find a particular job rewarding while someone else might find the same job loathsome.

Simple fact is, some people will end up in jobs that don't suit them or which don't pay them the amount they think they deserve &/or want, and will feel others are getting a better deal in life as a consequence.