How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?

The Placid Casual

How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?

• That one with Michael Jackson with the really expensive video
    • 1 (not that one with MJ)
    • 2-3
    • 3-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-25
    • I've got a few of her albums
    • Her whole back catalogue! Get her booked!

I’m usually the first to leap to accusations of sexism, but clearly this thread isn’t sexist and is purely down to the fact half the people posting on this forum couldn’t name a single song by her.

She’s obviously not headlining anyway.

Edited by Bradders

23 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Well, hold on, I didn't accuse the original poster of being sexist but I do think it's fair to debate why she was singled out for this.   

It is disappointing that the question has attracted more downvotes than someone saying "get them nips out love" in the other thread though.

Seemed a fair question for you to ask, some folks seem to respond by either downvoting you or being a little excitable and overly defensive, yet others have been a bit more considered and have given context about other comparative polls.

Think you should be entitled to ask the question. 

Edited by clarkete
Removed last bit, don't want to poke the bears.
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Link me to it and I'll downvote it for you sweetheart.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/228149-janet-jackson-headlining/?do=findComment&comment=5580472

Fwiw It didn't cross my mind this poll was sexist having seen other similar ones about.

Edited by slash's hat

2 minutes ago, Dental's Frying Pan said:

10- physical perfection so impossible by definition

9- highest mark possible. Very few in the world. Margot Robbie is one example ( in wolf of Wall Street particularly)

8- literally the best looking birds you will see in real life walking around. As I said you won't see that many. Maybe a few in a day walking round Chichester for 24 hours 

7- this is as I have already said a very very good mark and means the bird is fit and a head turner. But you see more of them than the 8's. 

6- very decent Mark. If you got 60% in an exam you would be pretty chuffed yes?!...think of it that way. 

5- this is the average score. The bang average for a bird. So they are not hideous and they are not really that fit. Probably your bread and butter on a night out. 

4- starting to get ropey here. On an evening out you would probably consider planting one up them with a few lagers down ya. I have smashed a few 4's in my time. We all have. 

3- this is ropey. Either fat, or ugly. Not both. 

2- fat and ugly. A fucking disgrace that you would be well embarrassed about. 

1- absolutely rancid and the worst mark at all possible. I have rarely seen anyone pull a 1/10 genuinely apart from one of my mates Faz who pulled a retard, another mate who pulled a dwarf and another mate who pulled an ugly bird so fat he 'could not get his arms round her' and 'something came off her nipple in his mouth' when he was sucking her tits'

0- Swans

Do fuck off.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I've just realised that this is gonna look like one of those, 'I'm not sexist, I have lots of girl friends' things now. :lol:

Have edited my post to say didnt think this poll was sexist, but lets see if you're a man of your word and going to downvote that comment.

I recall some video where there was possibly a cheetah involved and she looks like she was on the Savanna but I have no idea what its called, how the song goes or anything else tbh. I could also be mixing it up for someone else tbh but thats about as far as my Janis Jackson knowledge of her music goes.

I voted 3-5 which is 2-4 more than I know of Stormzy (even though I've listened to his album a few times I still only know his big hit by name), the same for The Strokes and possibly equal to The Cure. 

I'm sure you don't feel like you are sexist or racist but the sad truth is we all are a little bit. How could we be anything but when the world is generally presented to us by rich white men who occupy the vast majority of positions of power in every sphere of influence. Let's do our bit to try and change that though. It'd be nice to see it become a little bit less so. If JJ having a headline slot at Glastonbury helps that then I'm up for it. She's sold more than many others who have been up there. I'd be happy to give her a chance. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I'm out of votes.

Shame, isn't that always the way with these things. Still maybe if you hadn't of both downvoted and upvoted me minutes before posting this you might have had one left. Not that it bothers me in the slightest if you downvoted that other post, your call to make. 

17 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

Shame, isn't that always the way with these things. Still maybe if you hadn't of both downvoted and upvoted me minutes before posting this you might have had one left. Not that it bothers me in the slightest if you downvoted that other post, your call to make. 

Eh? I didn't downvote your post...

@ThePlacidCasual isn't me. I'm @The Placid Casual.

Edited by The Placid Casual

Ugh. I'm probably / usually wrong, but:

Could it be that as an artist who was very much at her height during the MTV age (whatever that is, I just made it up) that JJ's videos seem to be more fixed in non-fans minds than her songs?

Plus as Stu says (above), for most non-fans of a given successful artist it could be easier to 'recognise' their songs once played rather than remember song titles off the top of their head*

I'd probably be like this with, say, Ed Sheeran or Little Mix or One Direction or Ariana Grande.

Also, I didn't ever really see JJ as being pure pop, more R&B.

*Hell, with the advent of Spotify, etc, I struggle to remember song titles of artists I like FFS. When I buy vinyl with beautiful album covers and lyric sheets, etc, to pore over like a nerd I remember that shit easily**

**I realise this makes me sound old***

***I am old.

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

*Hell, with the advent of Spotify, etc, I struggle to remember song titles of artists I like FFS. When I buy vinyl with beautiful album covers and lyric sheets, etc, to pore over like a nerd I remember that shit easily**

**I realise this makes me sound old***

***I am old.

Since I started commuting to work so from about the age of 20 I stopped paying much attention to song titles. They were often known by track numbers but now I'm just blissfully ignorant of most of them and then hear them and realise how many I do know. I've just put JJ on Deezer and it seems I probably know more than 10 and I've never owned a JJ album in my life. 

I'm just really shit with song titles even with artists I very much like. 

I did the same exercise with The Strokes and I really did only know 1. 

54 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Can’t believe accusations of sexism have come out and completely poisoned the well. People have been merrily and good heartedly slagging off the Strokes (and others) for weeks on here with not a smidge of dissent, even from their biggest fans. 

on the three threads discussing Janet Jackson - there's been a comment  about vagisil, one about getting her nips out and a general theme here that no-one would know her music (albeit that she's sold 100 million records). that is sexism. i'm generally a lurker here and have been for a fairly long time -  this is one of the more shameful reactions to anyone ever being rumoured. 

Edited by rostro
typo
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rostro said:

on the three threads discussing Janet Jackson - there's been a comment that about vagisil, one about getting her nips out and a general theme here that no-one would know her music (albeit that she's sold 100 million records). that is sexism. i'm generally a lurker here and have been for a fairly long time -  this is one of the most shameful reactions to anyone ever being rumoured. 

Fair play on the first points, but loads of artists sold millions of records in another country in another century.  The Bay City Rollers sold over a 100 million records, but I don't expect many people in the 90s would have been able to name more than a couple of their songs.  Some acts are just massive for a while, but don't have a huge lasting impact.