Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

2 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I can't tell if the Janet performance is just terrible on it's own or if it's even worse compared to how good Lizzo was. I've not checked out Low yet, but I imagine all of you who saw Lizzo are feeling pretty smug right now.

Watching it back I can't even believe I actually had a clash. So glad I made the right decision. Can you imagine watching back and realising you missed Lizzo. ?

Just now, H.M.V said:

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who chose JJ over Lizzo. 

I struggled over the lineup but fuck me watching both performances back to back. Its like comparing a donkey to a racehorse. One clear winner. 

creaming over lizzo, about 6 months late and dogging janet isn’t interesting or original...much like your pink hair

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dangletang said:

creaming over lizzo, about 6 months late and dogging janet isn’t interesting or original...much like your pink hair

Lol! I have a pinned tweet for this kind of nonsense. 

I can change my hair colour anytime but arsehole is forever. ?

Ps, my hair ain't pink anymore silly. If you were a regular here you would know that. ,:p

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who chose JJ over Lizzo. 

I struggled over the lineup but fuck me watching both performances back to back. Its like comparing a donkey to a racehorse. One clear winner. 

Try to change your mindset, not your hair color, because this is not a sport. I like Janet, you like Lizzo and if you see any problem there, it's in your head, not in reality.

Edited by jntsrb
  • Downvote 1

Im not smug about it (some you win, some you lose when it comes to clashes) but watching the Jackson set back on TV last night it is the very definition of underwhelming. Nicely staged but so cold it may as well have just been a video played on the TV Screens. Only decided to see Lizzo late in the day but very glad I did. 

I don't think it's a case of what was on another stage being better or not, I think it's really about whether the performance she gave for the people who chose her was any good.

I wasn't at Janet so can only go with what I've seen since on the tv. I don't really like what she does but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate if something is actually well done for what it is.

I've given it some thought and I know I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud, I've just about accepted singing along to backing tracks which now seems to be a thing, after all a lot of bands use backing tracks for bits of music they can't reproduce but just miming is not acceptable. "But her dance moves are so complex!" seems to be the excuse, if that's the case advertise it as a dance show, maybe calm the dance moves down, but you're the frigging singer, sing FFS. In summary, she was shite.

I'm a Janet fan and enjoyed the set but agree that it wasn't well suited to the festival.   It was an arena show put onto the Pyramid.   Where the big acts tend to do well on the Pyramid is if, despite the scale of the place, they can make it feel a bit intimate - Adele and Kylie are great examples of this, they 'got' the festival.   Janet's show wasn't one where she had that interaction with the audience and it was more polished to what we're used to seeing.

The setlist wasn't great for the festival either - obvious UK hits like Together Again, Got 'Til It's Gone & Doesn't Really Matter kicked out in favour of album tracks from not particularly successful albums.

I still enjoyed it and it was refreshing to get the chance to see something like that at Glastonbury but I can totally see why it fell flat.