Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

2 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Billboard: 50 Incredible Things Janet Jackson Achieved Before Her 50th Birthday
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7370513/janet-jackson-50-accomplishments-birthday

List of artists influenced by Janet Jackson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_influenced_by_Janet_Jackson

22. She is listed in Guinness World Recordsfor Largest Recording Contract in 1991.

How big was this contract exactly? A3? A2!?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jntsrb said:

You said she's inexplicably popular but you don't know anything about her. That makes no seance. You're judging by the lack of your knowledge, which is always a bad judgment. It would be like me saying that Noel is inexplicably popular in the UK, and I never heard any of his songs, and I don't even know how that man looks like. So how would I know if his popularity is explicable?

She is one of the most influential and innovative artists ever. The only reason she wasn't as big in Europe as in the States is she wasn't singing trash pop songs. But she still had greater success in Europe alone, than Kylie globally, which means she was huge in Europe too.

If she's so influential how come you've only got a 50 minute slot on Saturday afternoon? 

22 hours ago, jntsrb said:

You said she's inexplicably popular but you don't know anything about her. That makes no seance. You're judging by the lack of your knowledge, which is always a bad judgment. It would be like me saying that Noel is inexplicably popular in the UK, and I never heard any of his songs, and I don't even know how that man looks like. So how would I know if his popularity is explicable?

She is one of the most influential and innovative artists ever. The only reason she wasn't as big in Europe as in the States is she wasn't singing trash pop songs. But she still had greater success in Europe alone, than Kylie globally, which means she was huge in Europe too.

Alright! We get it... you like Janet! 

3 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

Okay! We got it... you don't like Janet!

All of that is completely irrelevant. We're only a few people that won't change anything.

Honestly, I was previously apathetic about her, but willing to give her a listen and maybe go along. You- and the egotistical poster edit- have managed to totally turn me off her, so well done ?

"Hugely influential."

"Has a shorter set than Hozier."

Something isn't adding up here. 

But anyway, between me not knowing any of her songs, and her enablement of her brother, I shall be swerving. 

Edited by admscott

1 minute ago, gfest2009 said:

Honestly, I was previously apathetic about her, but willing to give her a listen and maybe go along. You- and the egotistical poster edit- have managed to totally turn me off her, so well done ?

As if that would change anything in her life and career. Overrating the self-importance is one of the main problems in conversation here.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, admscott said:

"Hugely influential."

"Has a shorter set than Hozier."

Something isn't adding up here. 

But anyway, between me not knowing any of her songs, and her enablement of her brother, I shall be swerving. 

Because she's too expensive. There is a reason she's the 7th richest star in history, according to Forbes.

Edited by jntsrb

2 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

Hang on a minute... Was she the backing singer in scream? 

No. She wrote and produced the song for her own album and then Michael needed it to save his career, so she helped him. Ironically, the song he refused, Runaway, ended up being a bigger hit for Janet than Scream. Released that same year.

Edited by jntsrb

5 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

As if that would change anything in her life and career. Overrating the self-importance is one of the main problems in conversation here.

Well i hope your obsession and posting brings you lots of joy! ?

Ps: it's a glastonbury forum, not a JJ one. 

Edited by gfest2009

3 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

Well i hope your obsession and fruitless posting brings you lots of joy! ?

It does. Obviously, it brings joy to other people here too. At least they're laughing or just enjoy hating on me and Janet, for some reason. I am a Janet Jackson fan and this is a Janet Jackson topic. I'm not trolling and writing about her non stop in some other topic, so I don't see what's the problem.

Edited by jntsrb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

No. She wrote and produced the song for her own album and then Michael needed it to save his career, so she helped him. Ironically, the song he refused, Runaway, ended up being a bigger hit for Janet than Scream. Released that same year.

I've never heard of runaway so just checked. Got to number 6 in the UK charts. So I checked and Scream got to number 3.

While I agree that 6 is a bigger number traditionally its lower numbers you're aiming for in the charts. 

Edited by sprocketrocket

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a Janet Jackson thread ffs

Yes, thats been monopolised by one person (who doesnt seem to have ever been or have any plans to attend Glastonbury) just posting random statistics and being unwilling to accept that some people just arent as big a fan on the artist as s/he is ?

Edited by gfest2009

6 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I've never heard of runaway so just checked. Got to number 6 in the UK charts. So I checked and Scream got to number 3.

While I agree that 6 is a bigger number traditionally its lower numbers you're aiming for in the charts. 

I'm talking about global success. Runuway was a bigger hit globally. But, for example, Janet's Together Again peaked at No. 4 in the UK and it sold better in the UK than any of Madonna's No. 1 singles except Into The Groove and Like A Virgin, both sold only a few hundred copies more. Chart peak is not a full story.

Edited by jntsrb

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup.  I'm just not sure why it bothers people so much if they're not interested in seeing her.

I'm possibly being a bit sensitive because I'm stressing about all the stuff i still have to do for Tuesday, so obviously procrastinating by being a bit of a dick ?

Just now, gfest2009 said:

I'm possibly being a bit sensitive because I'm stressing about all the stuff i still have to do for Tuesday, so obviously procrastinating by being a bit of a dick ?

Nae bother.  I'd see the beef if he was spamming up the forum with dozens of new threads. As it is its easily avoided. There's probably a 300 page thread of Killers setlist speculation but I'd never click on the c**t.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup.  I'm just not sure why it bothers people so much if they're not interested in seeing her.

Personally it's curiosity as much as anything else. I'm just intrigued by the combination of statistics and @jntsrb absolute devotion to her in relation to a festival that, apparently, he (?) has no intention of going to.

It would be like me going onto a Coachella forum and defending Levellers to the hilt based on their longevity and sales in the UK to an audience that maybe knows one song and has no massive interest in them.

Nowt wrong with it and you are more than welcome on here to defend her as you will @jntsrb, but there's a clear element of the ridiculous that goes with it :)

• Upvote 3