Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, in a low-selling vinyl market, no 51 is probably 50 copies. ;) 

"Janet" is #37 now.

Sales are low in general today, but they are still an indication of popularity. Janet's album from 1993 is charting higher than new releases by Ariana Grande, Prince, and Madonna. I doubt La Toya Jackson would manage to do that. ?

Edited by jntsrb

23 hours ago, Jay89 said:

Doesn’t change the fact that Kylie is well more popular globally than JJ ?

Worldwide, JJ has sold over 160 million records, compared to Kylie’s 80 million. Different story in the UK though. Kylie is 14th highest in terms of singles sales whilst JJ isn’t in the top 60.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Worldwide, JJ has sold over 160 million records, compared to Kylie’s 80 million. Different story in the UK though. Kylie is 14th highest in terms of singles sales whilst JJ isn’t in the top 60.

Yes, in the UK Kylie is definitely bigger, I never questioned that.

Early in 1987, LaToya recorded "Ain't nobody loves you (like I do)", written and produced by Stock Aitken Waterman. For unknown reasons, the single was never released in the UK.

In December 1987, Kylie released "I should be so lucky", her first single from SAW and her first UK number one. SAW went on to produce Kylie's first four studio albums, generating no less than 15 hit singles and several UK number ones.

LaToya could should have had Kylie's career!

1 hour ago, marcoolio said:

Reminder that Latoya Jackson is the co-writer of "Reggae Night" by Jimmy Cliff, clearly a bigger hit than anything released by either Janet or Kylie.

It was a hit, but how is that a bigger hit than anything by Janet and Kylie? It topped the chart only in New Zealand, and it didn't even chart in the US and UK. Janet has the longest running number-one single of any member of the Jackson family, including Michael.

I have nothing against La Toya, though. I like her personality and she's a talented songwriter, but not a very good performer. I think that's the reason she never had a big career.  

Edited by jntsrb

^Facts are facts.

Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Adele, and Ariana Grande are only female artists with multiple 7+ weeks Hot 100 #1 hits.

Janet's longest running number ones are "All for You," the longest-running No. 1 hit of 2001, and "That's the Way Love Goes," the longest-running No. 1 hit by any member of the Jackson family.

Janet Jackson has posted all 33 of her weeks at No. 1, from ten No. 1s on the Billboard Hot 100, in a lead role — without featured artists or co-lead artists. She has either written, co-written, arranged, produced or co-produced each of her No. 1 songs, and on one was even featured playing piano in addition to vocals.

She's ranked by Billboard the 3hd most successful female artist of all time, and 7th overall, one place higher than her brother Michael.

Edited by jntsrb