Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

headlined in around '89, after they'd troubled the charts.

The Thompson Twins? Not in 1989, and I can’t recall another year they played other than 1981. Certainly not headlining. They were advertised to play in 1985 but pulled out.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tony Slattery?

Aw bless him. That article was heartbreaking if like me you were a big fan of his back in the day. Hoping it leads to as much of a resurgence in his career as he can handle. 

The point is you are one tiny person in a world of billions, thus you being unable to name a Janet song doesn't make her less iconic. It simply means you never heard a Janet song. Drop the self-importance. Your individual experience does not dictate the status of a singer and her career.

Janet had more Top 20 hits in the UK than ABBA, Prince, Beyonce, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Robbie Williams, Celine Dion, and many others. Despite releasing fewer albums,  Janet has sold more copies in Europe, than Kylie Minogue globally. Just drop the self-importance. She's huge even if you never heard of her.

Edited by jntsrb
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

The point is you are one tiny person in a world of billions, thus you being unable to name a Janet song doesn't make her less iconic. It simply means you never heard a Janet song. Drop the self-importance. Your individual experience does not dictate the status of a singer and her career.

Janet had more Top 20 hits in the UK than ABBA, Prince, Beyonce, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Robbie Williams, Celine Dion, and many others. Despite releasing fewer albums,  Janet has sold more copies in Europe, than Kylie Minogue globally. Just drop the self-importance. She's huge even if you never heard of her.

Woah, calm down ?

All I said was for some reason I don't know any of her songs, she totally passed me by. It was just an observation. I wasn't saying she's shit or questioning her headliner status at all. I'm sure there are loads of huge artists in the greater sphere of musical history whom I also have not had the fortune to have listened to or gotten into. And that's ok. ✌️

3 hours ago, jntsrb said:

I know I'm going to regret this as I don't think we've ever got to the bottom of it, but never mind.  Why are you so amazingly fanatically defensive about JJ?  I mean, I've never seen anyone on these boards so adamantly refuse to consider anything less than a perfect view of their preferred artist.

And I'm including the lunatic fringe of Radiohead & National fans in that, which is some comparison!

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Quark said:

I know I'm going to regret this as I don't think we've ever got to the bottom of it, but never mind.  Why are you so amazingly fanatically defensive about JJ?  I mean, I've never seen anyone on these boards so adamantly refuse to consider anything less than a perfect view of their preferred artist.

I like this plucky enthusiasm.

"If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever Janet..."

5 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Yay! JANET'S BACK!

Your individual experience does not dictate the status of a singer and her career.

Works both ways. The fact you love her, doesn’t mean she’s huge as you say. You’re only tiny person in the world of billions yanno ??‍♀️

20 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Works both ways. The fact you love her, doesn’t mean she’s huge as you say. You’re only tiny person in the world of billions yanno ??‍♀️

I thought it was j's seemingly infinite supply of JJ's sales figures and awards which they presented to counter that perspective?

I’m going to regret this too, but anyway...

I wanted to check for myself your claims about JJ outselling all the others mentioned. Why ‘top 20’? It’s usually ‘top 10’ or ‘top 40’. Doesn’t matter, out of the artists you mentioned (minus CD), this is, officially, how many ‘top 20’ hits they’ve had:

Kylie 46

Robbie Williams (not including TT) 33

George Michael (not including Wham) 31

Prince 29

Whitney Houston 28

Janet Jackson 27

Beyoncé (only solo) 20

Abba 19

Of course, there are plenty more artists that have had more hits than any of these.

JJ is a big deal, but less so in the UK these days compared to elsewhere, but it will be a great booking for Glasto, I think the crowd will know more songs than they were anticipating, but let’s keep things in perspective eh?

• Like 1

Is the claim that JJ is more popular/well known/iconic than ABBA cos she's had more top 20 hits. That's er...an interesting stance to take.

I've been pondering it over a cup of tea this morning. This is the one act where I've no idea how popular it'll be and how much of a crowd she'll attract. Genuinely no idea which way things will go.

14 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Is the claim that JJ is more popular/well known/iconic than ABBA cos she's had more top 20 hits. That's er...an interesting stance to take.

Indeed. ABBA didn’t really last very long as a going concern (7 or 8 years as a chart act in the UK), so subsequently issued far fewer singles than yer JJ’s. But those songs are ingrained on the national consciousness, for better or worse, whilst many here are struggling to name more than 1 or 2 JJ songs.

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Indeed. ABBA didn’t really last very long as a going concern (7 or 8 years as a chart act in the UK), so subsequently issued far fewer singles than yer JJ’s. But those songs are ingrained on the national consciousness, for better or worse, whilst many here are struggling to name more than 1 or 2 JJ songs.

In fairness I could only name one Mary J Blige tune and she nailed it.