Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

just referring back to what someone raised earlier, about some people thinking all of the Jacksons are toxic because of what Michael is said to have done......

The Jacksons (band) have quite a few festies booked for this summer, including CarFest which is quite high-profile.

I've just updated the line-up for a tribute festival ... and they've removed a MJ tribute act. :lol: 

I just got round to watching the first part of the documentary last night. Fucking hell. While none of it comes as a massive shock (I always knew he was up to something like that) it's the detail and the kind of calculatedness that is tough to get my head around. I was probably just naive really. 

As others have said, though, it's got absolutely nothing to do with Janet so I do hope this doesn't get dragged up at the fest. 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I just got round to watching the first part of the documentary last night. Fucking hell. While none of it comes as a massive shock (I always knew he was up to something like that) it's the detail and the kind of calculatedness that is tough to get my head around. I was probably just naive really. 

As others have said, though, it's got absolutely nothing to do with Janet so I do hope this doesn't get dragged up at the fest. 

I'm sure some righteous dickhead will bring a sign. 

Janet is currently the highest rated female artist on Pitchfork, leaving behind artists like Kate Bush, Björk and PJ Harvey.

Janet Jackson 8.2
Sade 8.1
Kate Bush 8.1
Janelle Monáe 8.1
Robyn 8.0
Solange 8.0

The average score of other female artists is below 8.0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I couldn't give a flying flange where people rate on some thing I've never heard of. If Bjork, Kate or PJ were performing you can bet your bottom dollar I'm front row centre for any of them over JJ. 

I was actually looking forward to seeing JJ but I'm worried I'm gonna have someone shouting stats at me and that I should be worshipping. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I couldn't give a flying flange where people rate on some thing I've never heard of. If Bjork, Kate or PJ were performing you can bet your bottom dollar I'm front row centre for any of them over JJ. 

I was actually looking forward to seeing JJ but I'm worried I'm gonna have someone shouting stats at me and that I should be worshipping. 

Why are you so upset? It's just the info. You can be listening to whoever you like and want, of course. And you should.

I'm surprised you didn't hear about Pitchfork, though.

Pitchfork: Read Janelle Monáe’s Full Speech Inducting Janet Jackson Into Rock Hall 2019

“History is not complete without you, Janet. That’s why we bow at your altar tonight.”

Tonight, Janet Jackson was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at the induction ceremony in Brooklyn. Janelle Monáe was on hand to honor Jackson. Read her full speech below.

Hello. I’m here tonight to induct the legendary queen of black girl magic into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Ms. Janet Damita Jo Jackson. Our fearless leader is one of the biggest selling artists in music history. This five-time Grammy Award winner and Academy Award nominee has sold 180 million albums worldwide. With an epic career spanning over four decades and nine No. 1 albums, this gifted singer, songwriter, producer, dancer, actress is an icon. She is a bold visionary, a rulebreaker, a risk taker, and a boundless visual artist. Quite simply, y’all, there is only one Janet.

I remember the first time my momma showed me a clip of our Janet Jackson. And I saw this resplendent, assertive, talented girl with an afro puff on the top of her head. And it was just so refreshing to see someone who looked like me and million of other little black girls around the world. And even then at the earliest stages of her career, you could see she was a different kind of star. Working with her trusted collaborators, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, she created an unforgettable sound.

When Janet wrote big with Control, it was like a big bang happened. Her intro on the title track made it clear I am in control of my voice, my life, and my art. Janet, the powerful woman with agency, had arrived. Songs like “Nasty,” “What Have You Done For Me Lately,” and “When I Think of You” are still some of the most jammin’, woman-est statements ever recorded. Let’s talk about how no one else but Janet could make a video by filling an empty warehouse with just her beautiful face and kineticism in “The Pleasure Principle.” Control is one of the greatest moments in music history and showed all she would not be subjugated.

If Control was the big bang, Rhythm Nation 1814 was her bold vision for this new world she had created. And on the album’s 30th anniversary, it still inspires. Clad in her all black universe, she unleashed her manifesto, but tonight we’re callin’ it a womanifesto , but believe an army of socially aware young people could affect change

She became a blueprint for writing socially conscious jams, and hits like “Alright,” “Miss You Much” and “Escapade” made us want to learn every eight-count of choreography.

It’s also important to note that Janet also has her own category. There’s pretty, there’s beautiful, there’s fine, and then there’s Janet Jackson level fine. Am I right? Gorgeous and carefree on the beach being in love will never do without you. And the sublime “Come Back to Me,” along with the gritty rock of “Black Cat.” She let us know that her artistry could not be contained by any genre. She climbed even deeper into herself with the self-titled Janet album.

On these albums she was a human filled with sexual freedom and the beautiful flaws of all humanity. She honored friends she lost to HIV and AIDS with her song “Together Again.” Through music, Ms. Jackson unified through the weapons of rock’n’roll and rhythm. Every album a risk, and every moment a revelation. Cultural impact cant be quantified.

Now I was not gonna get up here and tell the whole world how you have been my phone screensaver for seven years but it is true. And every time I look at it, I'm reminded to focus, to be fearless in the way I approach art. In fact, when I was writing my last album Dirty Computer, it was you who gave me the confidence to embrace all of me.

We gather all around the world with your music as our soundtrack. We celebrate you for fighting for women’s rights. We celebrate you for going high when they go low. We celebrate you for being an ally to the LGBTQIA+ communities and marginalized voices around the world. We applaud you for your commitment to excellence. We celebrate you for giving us memories we wish we could bottle up and save for the next lifetime. History is not complete without you, Janet.

That’s why we bow at your altar tonight. God created you. God created you with the gift that only you could give us. We say thank you. And it’s now, yes, and it is now your time. Everyone in here, I want y'all to get up on your feet, get up out your seat, and I want you to stand and welcome Ms. Janet Jackson into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!

https://pitchfork.com/news/read-janelle-monaes-full-speech-inducting-janet-jackson-into-rock-hall-2019/

GettyImages-1139195534.jpg

janet_jackson_-_rock_and_roll_hall_of_fa

Edited by jntsrb

8 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Janet is currently the highest rated female artist on Pitchfork, leaving behind artists like Kate Bush, Björk and PJ Harvey.

Janet Jackson 8.2
Sade 8.1
Kate Bush 8.1
Janelle Monáe 8.1
Robyn 8.0
Solange 8.0

If your aim is to turn people OFF Janet Jackson, I have to say, it's working REALLY well. Have you ever actually been to Glastonbury?

7 hours ago, jntsrb said:

What is it that brought you here? I’m under impression you want people to love her after the backlash she got, but actually, you’re doing quite opposite. 

I was considering going to see her for a craic, but you convinced me otherwise ?

10 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Not wanting  to be surrounded by screaming, devoted 12 years old girls isn’t odd at all.

emphasis on ‘devoted’.

How many screaming 12 year old girls have u seen at Glastonbury out of interest! It’s not a One Direction gig!!

11 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Janet Jackson 8.2
Sade 8.1
Kate Bush 8.1
Janelle Monáe 8.1
Robyn 8.0
Solange 8.0

Nope, no idea what pitchfork is, and I still can't name anything she's done.

You clearly like her a lot, almost to a level that is bordering on worrying/unhealthy/scary

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

Not wanting  to be surrounded by screaming, devoted 12 years old girls isn’t odd at all.

emphasis on ‘devoted’.

I'm not sure you've quite got your thumb on JJ's target demographic.

Don't listen to the mean kids @jntsrb  this one person PR campaign may get there....one day ;) 

3 hours ago, gfest2009 said:

If your aim is to turn people OFF Janet Jackson, I have to say, it's working REALLY well. Have you ever actually been to Glastonbury?

That question's been dodged a couple of times.  I've now taken the approach of just skipping over any posts from said poster.

1 hour ago, sisco said:

How many screaming 12 year old girls have u seen at Glastonbury out of interest! It’s not a One Direction gig!!

None yet, as it’s my first time. My comment was a bit OTT, but fair play to comparing to average 1D fan :)