Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

12 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

lol who are you a member of Janets PR team? ...

I don't really care what critics think or how many albums sold her isn't good haha

I'm just a fan. Her PR team can't care less about our chat. However, facts are facts, your taste is your taste. So, what's the problem? I don't see any and you don't have to like her, it won't change anything. I just don't understand why are some people obsessed with artists they don't like. I never chat about artists I don't like. I don't see the point. Listen to what you like and ignore what you don't. 

Edited by jntsrb

20 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

I used to like Janet Jackson in my teens.

I can understand why she would headline a festival in the US where most of those sales have been made but she has been an irrelevance here since about 1994.

I would contend that Shed Seven have had a bigger impact here in the last 25 years than Janet Jackson. I wouldn't support Shed Seven playing high up on the Pyramid and I don't get Janet having a high billing either. 

Just for the record, her biggest hit in the UK was "Together Again" in the late 1997 and early 1998. It actually sold better than all Madonna's No. 1 singles except "Into The Grove," which sold a few copies more. She had five more Top 10 singles after that - the last one in 2002 - and seven additional Top 20 singles until 2006. Her last charting song in the UK was "Make Me" in 2009. Only that is more than a chart run of any other artist performing this year. Just, for example, Miley Cyrus had eleven Top 20 singles to date and Janet fourteen since 1997, after her most successful period.  Plus, because of her huge impact, Janet will always be relevant. That's far more important than sales, but she has both.

Thing is though that Into The Groove and things like can't Get You Out Of My Head still get played out and are well recognised after all this time.  Not sure you can say the same of much of Janet's output*.  Rhythm Nation was a big record at my school at the time but now it's more usually seen in the second-hand racks.

I think it's a good booking, just got no idea of the size of crowd to expect.  Won't be as big as Kylie's by any measure.

*Caveat is that they're maybe rinsing it on things like Kiss FM and on pirate stations and in other mediums I may not generally encounter.

9 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I know but Neil had info previously that he was subbing Friday (which would make a lot more sense with Janets date + the Courteeners clash). I dunno which source was more credible (or if @adequate8 had heard it too sepeartely or something).

Last year was a very small legend too comparatively. Kylie is a much bigger name, and agreed with what others have said is that the legends slot always gets lots of publicity and a big crowd. Plus Emily is making a bigger deal out of these named slots than she used to (with the metal slot now being a thing) so I wouldnt be surprised.

I still can't see Janet playing any lower than sub. otherwise why would she play Glasto at all. Her ego obviously from the photoshop makes me think she wouldnt take a lower slot. If she was sold on it as Macca was headlining that day (before he dropped out) too then I guess it would have made sub more palatable.

LG info came from me, it’s golden.

Ezra is sub Friday, 1000%. 

5 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

LG info came from me, it’s golden.

Ezra is sub Friday, 1000%. 

Janet is third down then If the bands in town info is correct.

Cheers mate.

And based on that, I’m going with Vanpire Weekend to be the last sub.

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is though that Into The Groove and things like many Get You Out Of My Head still get played out and are well recognised after all this time.  Not sure you can say the same of much of Janet's output*.  Rhythm Nation was a big record at my school at the time but now it's more usually seen in the second-hand racks.

I think it's a good booking, just got no idea of the size of crowd to expect.  Won't be as big as Kylie's by any measure.

*Caveat is that they're maybe rinsing it on things like Kiss FM and on pirate stations and in other mediums I may not generally encounter.

This and many other festivals are not only after what's recognizable by average listeners. They're after quality and artists whose legendary status is set in stone. I doubt that the crowd expects Kylie, this is not Eurovision. Janet is an urban artist and an idol and inspiration to many of the Glastonbury indie and mainstream performers. Take, for example, Bob Dylan. Everybody or almost everybody is familiar with that name and people know that he's legendary but most of them don't know any of his songs. That's not what determinates your importance. It's your artistry and influence. It's were you breaking boundaries and setting trends, musically and culturally, or just following trends and playing safe. Only that is important at the end, the artistry. Otherwise, imagine how many trashy pop stars would headline or perform at these festivals.

Edited by jntsrb
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, jntsrb said:

This and many other festivals are not only after what's recognizable by average listeners. They're after quality and artists whose legendary status is set in stone. I doubt that the crowd expects Kylie, this is not Eurovision. Janet is an urban artist and an idol and inspiration to many of the Glastonbury indie and mainstream performers. Take, for example, Bob Dylan. Everybody or almost everybody is familiar with that name and people know that he's legendary but most of them don't know any of his songs. That's not what determinates your importance. It's your artistry and influence. It's were you breaking boundaries and setting trends, musically and culturally, or just following trends and playing safe. Only that is important at the end, the artistry. Otherwise, imagine how many trashy pop stars would headline or perform at these festivals.

I'm curious, have you been to Glastonbury before?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jntsrb said:

you need to start a thread. how about we put you in touch with @Jens Wildman to get some ideas (10 years on) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jntsrb said:

Janet's booking, poster amendment hilarity aside, has been met for the most part by a collective shrug. 

Everyone wants Kylie. She'll have pretty much twice the size of Janet's crowd. She's exactly what the festival and it's crowd wants. Kylie Minogue is the will of the Glastonbury people.

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

She'll have pretty much twice the size of Janet's crowd

Not entirely sure about it'll be double, tho I don't doubt Kylie will have the biggest crowd of the weekend., and I don't doubt JJ will NOT have the 2nd biggest crowd.

But there's always a big crowd at the Pyramid by default, particularly as it gets towards the last act of the day. 

12 hours ago, jntsrb said:

Just for the record, her biggest hit in the UK was "Together Again" in the late 1997 and early 1998. It actually sold better than all Madonna's No. 1 singles except "Into The Grove," which sold a few copies more. She had five more Top 10 singles after that - the last one in 2002 - and seven additional Top 20 singles until 2006. Her last charting song in the UK was "Make Me" in 2009. Only that is more than a chart run of any other artist performing this year. Just, for example, Miley Cyrus had eleven Top 20 singles to date and Janet fourteen since 1997, after her most successful period.  Plus, because of her huge impact, Janet will always be relevant. That's far more important than sales, but she has both.

Fair point on dates.

But just to put it into perspective, and I am no great Shed Seven fan either,  but Shed Seven had fifteen Top 40 singles and four Top 20 albums in the UK in that sort of time frame.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they have l had more airplay in the UK than JJ in the last five years. I wouldn't expect them to be high up on the bill.

And I think some of the stats, versus the perceived lack of relevance for many people on here, show how irrelevant the singles chart has become to a lot of people who love music.

Relevance to people on here is a different beast to relevance to the wider culture IMHO.  For me what's not up for debate is her influence on the line-up and in general - Lauryn Hill, Christine and the Queens, Lizzo, Janelle Monae, probably even post-SAW Kylie all owe her a debt.  Elsewhere Robyn's Honey very much has a Janet album sort of feel. Kendrick Lamar' s sampled her, Drake is clearly influenced, as is Gaga and so on.