Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I suspect she might be, but would have a mid-afternoon slot if she is.

Whatever you might think her position is, that would be her real-world position in the UK today.

I'm just saying that she probably wouldn't accept it because she doesn't need it. She has refused many things in recent years, from being a judge in X Factor to Las Vegas residency to another Super Bowl performance. We are both trying to be realistic.

Edited by jntsrb

I like a lot of Janet's music but it's true that she doesn't have a great reputation as a live act.  There's a lot of pre-record going on and she'll 'get away' with that more in a non-headline slot than a headline one.

I could see her taking a 'Very special guest' non-headline slot.  It'd be great promo for a new album and tour dates in the UK.

35 minutes ago, RyanS said:

I like a lot of Janet's music but it's true that she doesn't have a great reputation as a live act.  There's a lot of pre-record going on and she'll 'get away' with that more in a non-headline slot than a headline one.

I could see her taking a 'Very special guest' non-headline slot.  It'd be great promo for a new album and tour dates in the UK.

I know what you mean, but Janet has that reputation everywhere and she headlined four festivals in 2018: Outside Lands - the highest-grossing music festival of the year,  Global Citizen, Panorama, and Essence. I saw similar reactions on various forums when she was announced as a headliner of these festivals, but everything went well. Of course, I'm aware that her status in the UK today isn't the same like her status in Asia or North America, but others should be aware too that she doesn't need the UK music market, let alone Glanstbury. 

Edited by jntsrb

2 hours ago, jntsrb said:

I'm aware that her status in the UK today isn't the same like her status in Asia or North America, but others should be aware too that she doesn't need the UK music market, let alone Glanstbury. 

Hi jntsrb.

This is the key point I think, Janet just doesn't have the status in the UK. She may have sold bucket loads of CDs but is very rarely talked about or played on the radio these days. No-one mentions her in the same light as they would Madonna or Whitney. Given her record sales, I don't really know why this is, maybe she's always been overshadowed by her brother, maybe the songs just haven't stood the test of time. People seem to remember her videos more than the songs they accompanied, style over substance?

Anyway, thanks for your input, always good to get a genuine fan's point of view but I'd agree with the others here, if she does play, it won't be as a headliner.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You see, I think breaking the two up let’s them both shine on their own terms rather than as a double bill.

I agree, but also think Janet Jackson straight in to The Cure would be one of the most mental sub/headliner combos I can think of Glastonbury having, and also really don’t see why Janet would get higher billing than Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding etc - she’s big in name, but success wise she’s pretty far behind and way past her day (in the UK at least). 

Any other year post-legend slot would be ideal, but having two female pop stars go back to back seems like it’ll turn in to a bit of a ‘battle of the divas’ kind of ordeal.

So basically I dunno.

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Hi jntsrb.

This is the key point I think, Janet just doesn't have the status in the UK. She may have sold bucket loads of CDs but is very rarely talked about or played on the radio these days. No-one mentions her in the same light as they would Madonna or Whitney. Given her record sales, I don't really know why this is, maybe she's always been overshadowed by her brother, maybe the songs just haven't stood the test of time. People seem to remember her videos more than the songs they accompanied, style over substance?

Anyway, thanks for your input, always good to get a genuine fan's point of view but I'd agree with the others here, if she does play, it won't be as a headliner.

She's just been absent for a long time, especially in Europe. Since 2004. Her last album debuted at No. 11 on the UK chart in 2015, which is some 30 places higher than the last album by Mariah Carey, for instance, and higher than Mariah's past four albums, actually. And she did it as an indie artist without any promo. Not a single interview, magazine cover or TV performance. Her last GH collection, from 2009, was certified Gold in the UK. So, maybe, the media aren't very representative. Who knows.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I agree, but also think Janet Jackson straight in to The Cure would be one of the most mental sub/headliner combos I can think of Glastonbury having, and also really don’t see why Janet would get higher billing than Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding etc - she’s big in name, but success wise she’s pretty far behind and way past her day (in the UK at least). 

Any other year post-legend slot would be ideal, but having two female pop stars go back to back seems like it’ll turn in to a bit of a ‘battle of the divas’ kind of ordeal.

So basically I dunno.

I'd stick her out the way on Other personally. Realistically though, if Ezra did sub which has been banded about, that opens up a 3rd down option. I think she should be below Kylie myself but Id on't think she's bother appearing for that.

11 hours ago, mcshed said:

Which is why she's nowhere near big enough in the UK to be headlining the Pyramid.

To be fair, The Cure's last album reached #33 in 2008 and so I think there's more to it than that.

Although I agree she'd work better as a sub/3rd down than a headliner for other reasons, if we're just talking about chart success then of course she wipes the floor with The Cure and The Strokes.

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

So basically I dunno.

Biffy Clyro into Ed Sheeran was a bit odd in 2017.