TICKET COMPETITIONS THREAD - IT BEGINS

cb4747

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Well, there's always hope. The thing is, you've, at least got to meet them half way, and put an entry in, because they ain't going to come knocking at your door, if you don't put an entry in. Here's hoping that they have yet to get to ringing you up. All the best.

Thanks buddy. I can assure I definitely put entries in, every single frigging day ?  you are right though of course, you have to put the effort in if you want any hope. 

3 hours ago, dartmoordog said:

There's been a massive EE network failure today affecting most of the country where people can't make or receive calls or texts.

So maybe Guardian winners that are on EE have been unreachable and nor have they got the EE competition text. I didn't.

If that's the case, they'd call someone else. Just move down the list...

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I suspect there would be rules within the Guardian's competition remit that would prevent them from doing this - surely? Maybe not though. I'd hate to think that that was a possibility. 

The winning person has 2 weeks to claim the prize, at that point they would redraw. They have a couple of different contact details too.

2 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I know that there are still at least 12 pairs of tickets out there to be won in various comps but I'm feeling quite down about the whole Guardian thing tonight. Bought a lottery ticket as well. If I won a load of cash at least I could pay for glamping. 

I wish you well in the comps, and on the lottery. You've got to be in it to win it, and all that. 

As an aside, your not a million miles away from me. I now live in Bridgnorth. How scary is that - not that I live in Bridgnorth, but that I'm so close to you? lol  Fucking nutters everywhere, I tells ya!

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

The winning person has 2 weeks to claim the prize, at that point they would redraw. They have a couple of different contact details too.

I thought as much. Mind you, I once knew somebody (thankfully not anymore) who needed a new double bed for his new flat. Anyway, it turned out that another acquaintance of both of us, had a new girlfriend who worked for the local newspaper, which happened to be having a contest to win a new double bed and fuck off and die mattress at the time. Anyway, all of us were in the pub one night, and the subject came up about the bed. Then our aquaintance's new girlfriend piped up with ' Just send a competition entry in to the newspaper, marked for my attention, and I'll ensure that you win the bed'. He did so, and low and behold, he won the bed. 

Not saying that the Guardian would do that, but it does happen. I know that it happens even more than the incident that I just mentioned too. I know because one of my brothers mate's helped somebody, who owned an international magazine, with something. He was told to put an entry in to that magazine's Win a Car competition that month. He did do that, and he did win that car. 

The above said, I've won loads of stuff in competitions, as i do them a fair bit when I get bored. My best yet is winning an enormous hardwood (not shitty hardwood, mind) 12 seater garden table from a bespoke supplier, priced at £3.5K. The next down the line was winning a bespoke mountain bike from a national newspaper. When I say bespoke, I mean that when I won, they asked me for my weight, height size, and inside leg measurement, so that they could fully make it to spec. 

So winning comps can happen, is all I'm saying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I thought as much. Mind you, I once knew somebody (thankfully not anymore) who needed a new double bed for his new flat. Anyway, it turned out that another acquaintance of both of us, had a new girlfriend who worked for the local newspaper, which happened to be having a contest to win a new double bed and fuck off and die mattress at the time. Anyway, all of us were in the pub one night, and the subject came up about the bed. Then our aquaintance's new girlfriend piped up with ' Just send a competition entry in to the newspaper, marked for my attention, and I'll ensure that you win the bed'. He did so, and low and behold, he won the bed. 

Not saying that the Guardian would do that, but it does happen. I know that it happens even more than the incident that I just mentioned too. I know because one of my brothers mate's helped somebody, who owned an international magazine, with something. He was told to put an entry in to that magazine's Win a Car competition that month. He did do that, and he did win that car. 

The above said, I've won loads of stuff in competitions, as i do them a fair bit when I get bored. My best yet is winning an enormous hardwood (not shitty hardwood, mind) 12 seater garden table from a bespoke supplier, priced at £3.5K. The next down the line was winning a bespoke mountain bike from a national newspaper. When I say bespoke, I mean that when I won, they asked me for my weight, height size, and inside leg measurement, so that they could fully make it to spec. 

So winning comps can happen, is all I'm saying.

So what you are saying is I need to befriend someone very quickly at either Water Aid or EE.... ?

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I suspect there would be rules within the Guardian's competition remit that would prevent them from doing this - surely? Maybe not though. I'd hate to think that that was a possibility. 

Nope. I think it's fairly standard in T and C's that they make an effort to contact you and if no response they move on. They don't have time to be chasing people. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Where did you see this? Can't see it being the case, as how would you know you've won to claim it if they didn't contact you? 

EE T and C's:

7. If the Promoter cannot contact a winner after 3 attempts, an alternative winner will be randomly 
selected. The Promoter will not leave a message when it attempts to contact potential winners

23 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Did they say when they were contacted?

It was posted at 08:04pm and she used the phrase "I just won......" so I would say that she has only heard this evening. There is still hope for you guys!! 

14 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Nope. I think it's fairly standard in T and C's that they make an effort to contact you and if no response they move on. They don't have time to be chasing people. 

I really don't know. However, one would have thought that if they failed to contact you by a phone call, then text, then they would try an email, and leave a message on the last communication stating that if the person didn't respond within 24 hours then they'd move on to the next person. Surely with a national paper they are not going to just say 'fuck it, I need to get this over and done with, so will move on to the next person'. I mean, there's actually an ocean of time between now and the festival start date, if you were administering such a competition. Maybe you're right. I really haven't a clue, but would have hoped they'd be a little bit sporting about getting in touch.

Hello. I've not been on this forum for 3 years.. I was an avid follower of the cCompetition pages and happy to say I was a Guardian winner (cried my eyes out on the bus when I got the call). Here now to ask if anyone knows of many flash sales? Apologies if this has been discussed at length previously..