TICKET COMPETITIONS THREAD - IT BEGINS

cb4747

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the exposure it gives for efests is certainly a good thing, but is nothing of my consideration in deciding who the competition is open to.

The ticket sale is open to everyone, and who gets tickets is (essentially) random. I think the comp should be the same.

But also I'm really not keen on the idea of having to already belong to club to win. I've never been a fan of that sort of closed-off thing.

I won in 2016, there is every chance that a regular will win this year. :victory:

Forum Users - Increase your chances and get your +1 to enrol on this site and enter the competition too! :good:

Having bought the Guardian on Saturday and The Observer yesterday. It feels a bit weird because I don't normally read papers and therefore they are pretty much going straight into the recycling. Imagine all the extra recycling being created if they sold say 2000 extra papers a day due to this competition

4 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Having bought the Guardian on Saturday and The Observer yesterday. It feels a bit weird because I don't normally read papers and therefore they are pretty much going straight into the recycling. Imagine all the extra recycling being created if they sold say 2000 extra papers a day due to this competition

Couldn't you give them to someone, say a friend, barbers, local GP surgery?  That way somebody would get the benefit of the written print, and would, hopefully, recycle it at the end. 

I reckon my shop would scan my barcode without any actual purchase of the newspaper, whether this would cause any problem with my entry or not I'm not sure. Don't want to push my luck at this stage!

Edited by Cooter

24 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's a shame that one couldn't kind of barter with the shop keepers - pay them for a newspaper, get your competition entry, but actually walk away with a mars bar or something.

A twix would be more appropriate in such circumstances :) 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cooter said:

I reckon my shop would scan my barcode without any actual purchase of the newspaper, whether this would cause any problem with my entry or not I'm not sure. Don't want to push my luck at this stage!

I did this today. The nearest place to me that sells papers was shut so went to another minimart type place that had Paypoint (but didn't do papers). Asked him to scan but bought a drink at the same time. He was more than happy to do so and without any prompting even gave me the 15p off the drink.

Will get the paper as much as I can but good to know this still works if you're out of other options.

12 hours ago, Cooter said:

Christ yes, we're committed, it's a long drawn out affair but we'll get there ffs

If it helps, one of my close friends got his 2017 tickets through the Guardian comp.  The number of people that can be arsed to put the effort in is going to be far lower than a simple answer a question competition, so your chances must be higher.  So fingers crossed at least one of you lot wins!

Edited by Greenelk

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if only the really committed enter regularly. After trying 5 places indicated on the Guardian map on Saturday and finding none could sell me a paper, I’m up to 4 so far near my work. 3 don’t sell papers and 1 didn’t have pay point. 

For me this has fallen flat on its face as a bit of promotion for the Guardian, as so far it’s looking to me like they can’t tell their arse from their elbow. 

So first time buying a Guardian at an Asda today and what a trauma that was. They have a separate PayPoint terminal so different to the Co-op and neither of the people serving knew what the hell to do. We got there is the end but not before a nice queue had formed behind me. 

I can't decide if this competition is either crazy or inspired by the Guardian. You have got to be dedicated to get this scanned every day. They have a daily circulation of 141000 hopefully not many of those will want to go to the festival

On 5/5/2019 at 8:09 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, perhaps it should only be open to those who are on the Resale Club current spreadsheet as still seeking tickets, that way we avoid any ‘random’ swooping in from nowhere? (I hasten to add, I’m not on the spreadsheet).

No you may not!

I didn't put my name on the spread sheet as I was already in a group of four. Putting it there too ran the very real risk of blowing other peoples chances.

Will be all over this competition though, although if its not already been suggested, maybe it should only be open to Gold members? 

Edited by smudger
ass whips

51 minutes ago, smudger said:

although if its not already been suggested, maybe it should only be open to Gold members? 

With a limp?

Must dash, I've got an urgent doctors appointment about this one leg of mine. Just doesn't seem to be moving right. I'm now walking down the road like a cross between John Wayne, and somebody who has shate their own pants.

58 minutes ago, smudger said:

No you may not!

I didn't put my name on the spread sheet as I was already in a group of four. Putting it there too ran the very real risk of blowing other peoples chances.

Will be all over this competition though, although if its not already been suggested, maybe it should only be open to Gold members? 

Apologies. I'm full of bad ideas...

1 hour ago, smudger said:

No you may not!

That would rule you out too though! :lol:

2 hours ago, musky said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if only the really committed enter regularly. After trying 5 places indicated on the Guardian map on Saturday and finding none could sell me a paper, I’m up to 4 so far near my work. 3 don’t sell papers and 1 didn’t have pay point. 

For me this has fallen flat on its face as a bit of promotion for the Guardian, as so far it’s looking to me like they can’t tell their arse from their elbow. 

You don't have to stick to the shops on the list, as long as they've got a Paypoint machine etc they should be able to do it. I went to a Co Op not on the list today and it was fine.