Vampire Weekend Confirmed

stonedcircle

Just now, Havors said:

Piss off you! :D 

I think the bookers just assume you'll all be too busy down t'pit / up t'mill / racing t'whippet*  to be able to go to gigs?

*(other offensive regional stereotypes are available)*

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think the bookers just assume you'll all be too busy down t'pit / up t'mill / racing t'whippet*  to be able to go to gigs?

*(other offensive regional stereotypes are available)*

Bin dipping up here apparently... ? haha

10 hours ago, grayfitz said:

Don't think I've ever encountered a morning show before - how early we talking? Do they only sell coffee at the bar?

I went to a matinee Killers gig at Brixton academy in about 2004 - I think it was their first tour over here and they had a bit of (hot) fuss about em at the time so they had fri and sat night at the academy booked, and then announced an afternoon show on the Saturday. It was pretty strange having a whole pile of pints and dancing around like a perfectly normal gig, and then coming out to daylight when it finished ??? 

edit: the only other time I’ve seen em was at the JP last Glastonbury - I only bother when they’re smallish gigs I guess

Edited by balti-pie

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I went to a matinee Killers gig at Brixton academy in about 2004 - I think it was their first tour over here and they had a bit of (hot) fuss about em at the time so they had fri and sat night at the academy booked, and then announced an afternoon show on the Saturday. It was pretty strange having a whole pile of pints and dancing around like a perfectly normal gig, and then coming out to daylight when it finished ??? 

edit: the only other time I’ve seen em was at the JP last Glastonbury - I only bother when they’re smallish gigs I guess

I remember this. 

Was it when they were doing the NME tour as I'm certain we saw them that evening (on the NME tour).

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

I remember this. 

Was it when they were doing the NME tour as I'm certain we saw them that evening (on the NME tour).

That NME Tour: The Killers, The Futureheads, Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs.

Seemed very exciting at the time, hasn't aged that well.

Interesting to see them billed at the very bottom of the big weekend lineup. Maybe it is just demographics but they haven’t fallen off that much have they? I still think they’ll take a 3rd from top pyramid slot.

My teen years were when they were definitely at their peak. Maybe I’m bias but I’ve always considered them to be one of the biggest bands in their genre. I reckon if there was a bit more commercial support they could have become headliners. I think the long breaks between albums kinda killed that for them though.

I was quite surprised actually the other day as I was speaking to some people who knew really nothing of their work. I always assumed they were a band a lot of people were familiar with.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Interesting to see them billed at the very bottom of the big weekend lineup. Maybe it is just demographics but they haven’t fallen off that much have they? I still think they’ll take a 3rd from top pyramid slot.

My teen years were when they were definitely at their peak. Maybe I’m bias but I’ve always considered them to be one of the biggest bands in their genre. I reckon if there was a bit more commercial support they could have become headliners. I think the long breaks between albums kinda killed that for them though.

I was quite surprised actually the other day as I was speaking to some people who knew really nothing of their work. I always assumed they were a band a lot of people were familiar with.

Definitely a demographic thing, Big Weekend is a weird one with their billing.

It's weird coz they're massive and they're not. They were obviously massive at the start coz everyone was doing squeaky summer indie at that point but they've gotten so much better with every album I don't really get how they're not bigger. Modern Vampores is one of the albums of the decade.

Some bands just don't get bigger I guess. If I have to go to a smaller festival see them do a headline set, so be it. They shouldn't play any lower than they have before this year though.

Jeez just seen how low they are for that radio 1 thing! I mean I took @Matt42's word for it but seeing it and the bands they're near is staggering. Makes me wanna listen to radio 1 so I can stop listening to radio 1 in protest.

Next person to bring up Vampire Weekend or radio 1 when I've had a few drinks better be ready for a lengthy rant about this.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Jeez just seen how low they are for that radio 1 thing! I mean I took @Matt42's word for it but seeing it and the bands they're near is staggering. Makes me wanna listen to radio 1 so I can stop listening to radio 1 in protest.

Next person to bring up Vampire Weekend or radio 1 when I've had a few drinks better be ready for a lengthy rant about this.

Quick devil's advocate here... Could their low place on the bill be down to them playing an early set then buggering off to another somewhere that evening?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Quick devil's advocate here... Could their low place on the bill be down to them playing an early set then buggering off to another somewhere that evening?

I'm waiting for some renders at the moment so don't tempt me to go on a rant as I have time ahah.

Yes that might be the case. But didn't Taylor Swift do an early short set a few years ago and get billed at the top? I might be remembering that wrong.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's possible. I'm pretty sure someone (Sheeran maybe) did exactly that last year.

Or it could just be that it's a BBC Weekend and the normal rules don't apply - everyone bar the headliner gets a much shorter set and the relative placings aren't all that important.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

It's possible. I'm pretty sure someone (Sheeran maybe) did exactly that last year.

Or it could just be that it's a BBC Weekend and the normal rules don't apply - everyone bar the headliner gets a much shorter set and the relative placings aren't all that important.

Panic at the disco/tame impala had earliest sets when it was at Exeter and they’re massive worldwide it’s so confusing