Folk/Americana/Country at Glastonbury 2019

TheSheriff

13 hours ago, Superscally said:

There long enough to see Buddy Guy at the Ryman?

Unfortunately not I’m there the beginning of the month, will be going to the Mother Church for Opry Classics at the Ryman 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Best songwriter in the world right now.

Without a doubt!!!!

I dunno if it’s been mentioned on here already, but if - like me - you’re largely clueless about country music / Americana, particularly that made by women, then follow the excellent Highway Queens on Twitter / Insta. 

Its a brilliant amateur account / website of reviews, recommendations (and a book club).

It’s pointed this here old duffer to listen to stuff I never thought I’d like.  

On 1/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, TheSheriff said:

ps Got my first trip to Nashville in April so if any one been and go some tips let me know 

We were there in 2017, unmissable for me:

No matter who is playing, go see a gig at the Ryman Auditorium just for the experience, book in advance, major acts sell out as it isn’t a great capacity (We were amazingly lucky to see Loretta Lynn - with Margo Price and others)

In my opinion the Grand Ole Opry isn’t as essential, but did do the behind the scenes tour which is great for the history and to go into the 10 or so dressing rooms, all individually decorated

small, but the Johnny Cash museum is good

Go every night to stroll along Broadway, you can here most of the bands from the street, so choose whatever sounds good. My fave was Robert’s Western World, more traditional country and bluegrass.

There’s a less expensive choice of hotels near the Grand Olde Opry, with the benefit of free bus shuttles to downtown.

Hope this is useful, DM me if you want any other info...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe the best album released last year, but I think she's playing the US on G weekend.

Yes, you’re right on both counts. Definitely can’t be at Glastonbury but Golden Hour is essential for any lover of light country/pop, sort of like Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac songs. Every song on the album is strong. 

21 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

This seems like a good place to record my annual hope that Bill Callahan gets booked.

Also Jeffrey Lewis.

And Josh T Pearson should be on the bill for his banter alone. 

We might not get jeff lewis but i’m pretty confident we’re going to get his buddies, The Burning Hell.

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

We were there in 2017, unmissable for me:

No matter who is playing, go see a gig at the Ryman Auditorium just for the experience, book in advance, major acts sell out as it isn’t a great capacity (We were amazingly lucky to see Loretta Lynn - with Margo Price and others)

In my opinion the Grand Ole Opry isn’t as essential, but did do the behind the scenes tour which is great for the history and to go into the 10 or so dressing rooms, all individually decorated

small, but the Johnny Cash museum is good

Go every night to stroll along Broadway, you can here most of the bands from the street, so choose whatever sounds good. My fave was Robert’s Western World, more traditional country and bluegrass.

There’s a less expensive choice of hotels near the Grand Olde Opry, with the benefit of free bus shuttles to downtown.

Hope this is useful, DM me if you want any other info...

Thanks mate, really useful... Can’t wait