Godiva 2019

luckysalt

Seems its still going ahead but expect changes afoot. They overspent 3x the budget last year, so basically they'll have to seriously downgrade acts. Or do some of the things mentioned in here. Car parking fees (which sounds a given) and doing merch which is dumb they've never done it anyway. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-news-godiva-festival-overspend-15720019

Yeah I was expecting to see something like this, last year had a huge lineup compared to previous years and noticeably more to do aswell. ALOT of my mates came from Birmingham, Tamworth, Nottingham even just for it. Not noticed as many coming from further afield as last year.

I think car parking charges is fair tbh but merch is a bit silly. I think if the lineup was half-decent I'd still pay up to about a fiver to get in just because it's a nice day out with friends or family. Bit gutted it's in July again though as it's either going to fall on Wireless or 2000 Trees weekend ? 

Budget of £150,000, that doesn’t go far these days. Totally unrealistic to get anything like the line-ups they’ve been putting on in recent years with that. But they won’t draw the numbers they have been getting with any less than a line-up of a similar status, which means their food and drink rake, merch sales and car parking fees will be less as well. Must put future years in doubt.

Simple way would be to follow Bingley Live’s approach and sell bargain basement tickets to recoup some cost. If they maintained the kind of line up they’ve become known for, and charged £20-£25/day, they should be ok.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Been officially confirmed to be going ahead now in the local papers. Reckon the quality of acts will be lower than usual if all this is true about the over-spending.

Yeah just had email confirming 5th-7th July as the dates. Nothing on acts as of yet. Its pretty late in confirming the dates even. 

55 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Yeah just had email confirming 5th-7th July as the dates. Nothing on acts as of yet. Its pretty late in confirming the dates even. 

Yeah I was literally saying to a friend last week about how I can't see it going ahead this year with no word on dates or anything. I'd expect announcements to come thick and fast if they want to gain any sort of attention. I'll be missing the Saturday for the first time in about 6 years now as I'm at Wireless but if there's a decent rock tent or couple good main stage acts on the Friday then I'll probably go. Can't remember the last time I was fussed about the Sunday lineup.

I'm glad theyve gone back to the July dates, suits me more, had to miss last year as was at Moseley Folk for the Levs, plus the line up wasnt really to my tastes. I am not shocked they overspent on the budget, some of them acts must have cost a fortune

Be interesting to see who they go for. If they could get the Specials, that would be ace for them, but as they are playing Cov gigs the weekend after, cant imagine them doing a free gig the weekend before.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thetime said:

Busted headlining the Sunday. ?

About on par with keating last Yr, there's a reason I never bother with the Sunday. It's not a bad sized act tbh for their target audience that say. I hope Saturday goes back towards a more classic indie act rather than pop like it has been past couple yrs. Leave the pop til Sunday. 

On 4/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, luckysalt said:

About on par with keating last Yr, there's a reason I never bother with the Sunday. It's not a bad sized act tbh for their target audience that say. I hope Saturday goes back towards a more classic indie act rather than pop like it has been past couple yrs. Leave the pop til Sunday. 

Yeah totally the same for me, never bother with the Sunday, its the Friday and Sat i'm more interested in.

I hope they head back the indie route too - intrigued to see who they actually go for

4 hours ago, Perks said:

Yeah totally the same for me, never bother with the Sunday, its the Friday and Sat i'm more interested in.

I hope they head back the indie route too - intrigued to see who they actually go for

Could see The Kooks headlining maybe, aren't at anywhere else and they have that pop/chart/indie crossover. 

Maybe Suede, they only have Bearded Theory don't they? 

26 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Could see The Kooks headlining maybe, aren't at anywhere else and they have that pop/chart/indie crossover. 

Kooks are headlining the community festival end of June so I can not see them at Godiva. They are also playing castlefield bowl on the Saturday, so rules them out completely. 

Community_2019_line_up_web_5281_app_28.3.19-780x1080.jpg

Edited by thetime

2 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Suede are a good shout. I’ll most likely see them at Bearded. Glad the Kooks are out. Gotta be honest, they grind my gears.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franz Ferdinand pop up to headline on the Saturday tbf, would be a good crowd pleaser. 

Also been told The Libertines are headlining a new event called Coombe Weekender being held at Coombe Abbey first weekend of August, apparently they were suppose to announce details yesterday but unsurprisingly it looks shoddily organised and nothing was 

21 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franz Ferdinand pop up to headline on the Saturday tbf, would be a good crowd pleaser. 

Also been told The Libertines are headlining a new event called Coombe Weekender being held at Coombe Abbey first weekend of August, apparently they were suppose to announce details yesterday but unsurprisingly it looks shoddily organised and nothing was 

Playing in Europe that weekend.

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Playing in Europe that weekend.

Well thats gutting! I'm gonna mention them every year and one day my hopes will come true!

13 minutes ago, thetime said:

Doves might be a good shout, will be cheap and are all over the festival scene this summer.

I like this idea, I reckon more of a Friday headliner though but wouldn't put it past them being Saturday

I'd love to see The Levellers play, but they're in Belgium that weekend, shame, theyd bring a great crowd

Doves are another good shout, bet we'll end up with the Enemy

Wonder if they'll go for a pop type act, keep the kids happy

Franz would have been fantastic, they were awesome subbing at Victorious the other year, they're SO much better a live band these days compared to when they were in their prime popularity.

Travis are another who've not done Godiva, they would fit the bill, good crossover fanbase and wouldn't cost a lot these days.