Best European festival line-up this year?

Homer

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I'm put off slightly by the fact that I've been before and also the tarmac vibe of the place (plus the Florence and the Machine rumours!); but it seems to offer the best compromise of beach holiday, accessibility and decent enough line-up, so I reckon I'll go for it.

Happy to wait until March - bar I want to book my flight while it's still only £100 return!

Bilbao bbk, down the road from San Sebastian which is one of the best beaches in the world, train ride to the beach, good surf and warm water temperatures. Lisbon is freezing.

Downside is Bilbao itself isn't that nice of a city. Guggenheim is amazing though. 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

1 hour ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Bilbao bbk, down the road from San Sebastian which is one of the best beaches in the world, train ride to the beach, good surf and warm water temperatures. Lisbon is freezing.

Downside is Bilbao itself isn't that nice of a city. Guggenheim is amazing though. 

I went to BBK a few years ago ta - was about 14 degrees and it rained a lot. Went Nos Alive and it was 30 degrees! I’ve been to Bilbao twice too and that’s enough for me!

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

I went to BBK a few years ago ta - was about 14 degrees and it rained a lot. Went Nos Alive and it was 30 degrees! I’ve been to Bilbao twice too and that’s enough for me!

Just talking about water temp since they wanted a beach trip. The water in Lisbon is very cold.

I'd pick Lisbon, preferably an airbnb/hotel with a pool

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Cheers for responses! First response was to do an 'event' festival instead - but Sziget is just SO bad and Exit may be too dancey for my other half.

Can't make Primavera again as I'm going to Shindig over here.

Will have another look at Mad Cool, which I have been considering. The plus is that I haven't been before and the line-up is fairly decent. However, Madrid not a great place to make a holiday of it.

The minus is that Nos Alive has a similar line-up, but also boasts beaches (i want to go on holiday for a few days too), slightly lower temps, and Hot Chip and Cut Copy...

Why do you think Sziget is bad, out of interest? I'm considering going for the first time this year. 

You might mean the lineup and not the festival itself actually, in which case, fair enough. 

Edited by Diamond24

11 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

Why do you think Sziget is bad, out of interest? I'm considering going for the first time this year. 

You might mean the lineup and not the festival itself actually, in which case, fair enough. 

Was gonna ask the exact same question as considering last 3 days of it for this year

1 hour ago, adequate8 said:

Was gonna ask the exact same question as considering last 3 days of it for this year

I was referring tot he headliners - Florence, Ed Sheeran and The 1975. It's not for me personally!

Open'er is disappointing as I thought they had a cracking line up last year! Hurricane was right up my street last year too - sod's law!

Edited by Homer

For as much I'd never go to a rock-only driven festival, I think that this year the best lineup is the one of Download (Tool, Slipknot, Slayer, TSP...).followed by Sonar, Rock Am Ring, Down the Rabbit Hole, Mad Cool and Sziget so far.

This, although, generally speaking, i find circuit's season pretty weak this year

24 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17298111

Thought it would be interesting to see the general consensus on this as everyone seems very split. Its a long list, hope I didn't miss anything major.

(hope staw polls are aloud...)

Ultimately this exercise is all a bit pointless until we have the full lineups. And the sample size won't be big enough to be meaningful.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ultimately this exercise is all a bit pointless until we have the full lineups. And the sample size won't be big enough to be meaningful.

yep I agree but I'm bored with very few announcements this week. Was gonna suggest doing one March/June time when the lineups are out but that would only be slightly less pointless.

• 1 month later...

Must admit Roskilde is shaping up nicely. Still 100 acts to go. I suspect 2 headliners more (and Underworld have already been dumped to a sub compared to the picture). 

Must be the most diverse festival of the bunch. Having Dylan, Plant and Cure next to Cardi B, Travis and Robyn. Suspect Strokes will fill the age gap between the current headliner. 

Roskilde 2019.jpg

• Upvote 1

I love the BKS lineup: Death Grips, Interpol, Kurt Vile, Mac DeMarco will probably perform new material, The Raconteurs are fun. Spiritualized, Stereolab, Primal Scream and Malkmus on the same bill. Yves Tumor is amazing, Toro T Moi's album was nice. There are a lot of smaller band too.

Sziget for the beer & camping.

Pitchfork Paris in the autumn and call it a year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Literally every thread i open "The worst lineup in last xy years". 

So:

1-Are we exaggerating? Could we think of this lineups as good ones in a few years? 

2- Is it just a weak year, not so much good artists touring? 

3- It is the way festivals are evolving with new artist, new music trends, younger generation of visitors.. (and we are getting old)?