Best European festival line-up this year?

Homer

Hi, am probably wasting my time here as I have had a look already, and it seems to be an accepted fact that line-ups are a bit weaker this year due to who happens to be touring, but is there an obviously good European festival line-up I'm missing out there?

I'm pretty open-minded and happy to go to something a bit off the beaten/I haven't been to before (though somewhere fairly hot would be nice), but nothing is obviously jumping out at me.

As an idea of the sort of stuff I like, I've previously been to:

Super Bock Super Rock: The Strokes, Arctics, Arcade Fire

NOS Alive: The Cure, Stone Roses, Radiohead

Primavera: Blur, Nick Cave, My Bloody Valentine

Bilbao BBK: Arcade Fire, Foals, The Pixies

Is there anything knocking about of that general standard that I've missed? Am currently edging towards NOS Alive, being that they've got The Cure and The Chems, two of the better headliners (for me anyway).

Ta!

For me two of the best ones of this season are Southside / Hurricane (Foo Fighters, The Cure, Tame Impala, Mumford & Sons; but there will probably be LOTS of clashes) and Sziget (whole festival is just a big party and in this case line-up is a secondary thing, but it's still great). 

I'm really pleased with the names Down The Rabbit Hole announced in its first batch, considering it's a medium sized festival. Editors, Underworld, Thom Yorke, Foals, Robyn, Vampire Weekend, The Roots, Beirut, Kamasi Washington, Khruangbin, Parquet Courts, RBCF, Low, all right up my ally. And still a lot to be added, among which another headliner.

4 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I'm really pleased with the names Down The Rabbit Hole announced in its first batch, considering it's a medium sized festival. Editors, Underworld, Thom Yorke, Foals, Robyn, Vampire Weekend, The Roots, Beirut, Kamasi Washington, Khruangbin, Parquet Courts, RBCF, Low, all right up my ally. And still a lot to be added, among which another headliner.

Agree. I think we have to discuss about this kind of festivals... 

Major festivals like RW or Mad Cool focus more on lineup and they always have all the best artists touring. 

Cheers for responses! First response was to do an 'event' festival instead - but Sziget is just SO bad and Exit may be too dancey for my other half.

Can't make Primavera again as I'm going to Shindig over here.

Will have another look at Mad Cool, which I have been considering. The plus is that I haven't been before and the line-up is fairly decent. However, Madrid not a great place to make a holiday of it.

The minus is that Nos Alive has a similar line-up, but also boasts beaches (i want to go on holiday for a few days too), slightly lower temps, and Hot Chip and Cut Copy...

Edited by Homer

3 hours ago, alan_ts said:

Doctor Music is really good as well imo. 

This is certainly my favourite line-up - but quite a lot more expensive than the others for some reason! Also, not sure what the accommodation options will be like out there.

On the plus side, will probably be a lot more picturesque out there.

Anyone been?

37 minutes ago, Homer said:

This is certainly my favourite line-up - but quite a lot more expensive than the others for some reason! Also, not sure what the accommodation options will be like out there.

On the plus side, will probably be a lot more picturesque out there.

Anyone been?

It will be the first edition since the 90s.. 

Every European festival announced a lot less in January compared to last year maybe it’s because artists want to announce Glastonbury first. Nos Alive is a good option for you but I would suggest waiting until March so that every big artist will be announced by then. It looks unlikely for a European festival to get sold out in January like last year. 

1 hour ago, birchtree29 said:

Every European festival announced a lot less in January compared to last year maybe it’s because artists want to announce Glastonbury first. Nos Alive is a good option for you but I would suggest waiting until March so that every big artist will be announced by then. It looks unlikely for a European festival to get sold out in January like last year. 

Yeah, I'm put off slightly by the fact that I've been before and also the tarmac vibe of the place (plus the Florence and the Machine rumours!); but it seems to offer the best compromise of beach holiday, accessibility and decent enough line-up, so I reckon I'll go for it.

Happy to wait until March - bar I want to book my flight while it's still only £100 return!