Sign in to follow this  
Homer

Best European festival line-up this year?

Hi, am probably wasting my time here as I have had a look already, and it seems to be an accepted fact that line-ups are a bit weaker this year due to who happens to be touring, but is there an obviously good European festival line-up I'm missing out there?

I'm pretty open-minded and happy to go to something a bit off the beaten/I haven't been to before (though somewhere fairly hot would be nice), but nothing is obviously jumping out at me.

As an idea of the sort of stuff I like, I've previously been to:

Super Bock Super Rock: The Strokes, Arctics, Arcade Fire

NOS Alive: The Cure, Stone Roses, Radiohead

Primavera: Blur, Nick Cave, My Bloody Valentine

Bilbao BBK: Arcade Fire, Foals, The Pixies

Is there anything knocking about of that general standard that I've missed? Am currently edging towards NOS Alive, being that they've got The Cure and The Chems, two of the better headliners (for me anyway).

Ta!

Mad Cool obv. The National, Bon Iver, The Cure, The Chems, Smashing Pumpkins, Iggy, Robyn, Noel, Mogwai...what more could you want? 

For me two of the best ones of this season are Southside / Hurricane (Foo Fighters, The Cure, Tame Impala, Mumford & Sons; but there will probably be LOTS of clashes) and Sziget (whole festival is just a big party and in this case line-up is a secondary thing, but it's still great). 

I'm sure than when all its line up will be revealed, Mad Cool will have the best line-up of all European festivals (only Werchter and Glasto can beat them nowadays)

Well Rock Werchter has The Cure, Tool, Florence, New Order, Weezer, Janelle Monae, Elbow, The Good The Bad and The Queen, Kurt Vile, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Underworld, Brockhampton, Mac Demarco, Jungle and Miles Kane so far. And they're not even halfway there.

So there's that. The other headliners are a little underwhelming for me though.

Agree with comments above. 

2018 Mad Cool had the best lineup imo, 2019 so far Rock Werchter, Mad Cool, Southside | Hurricane and also Sziget looks promising.

• Upvote 1

Doctor Music is really good as well imo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm really pleased with the names Down The Rabbit Hole announced in its first batch, considering it's a medium sized festival. Editors, Underworld, Thom Yorke, Foals, Robyn, Vampire Weekend, The Roots, Beirut, Kamasi Washington, Khruangbin, Parquet Courts, RBCF, Low, all right up my ally. And still a lot to be added, among which another headliner.

4 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I'm really pleased with the names Down The Rabbit Hole announced in its first batch, considering it's a medium sized festival. Editors, Underworld, Thom Yorke, Foals, Robyn, Vampire Weekend, The Roots, Beirut, Kamasi Washington, Khruangbin, Parquet Courts, RBCF, Low, all right up my ally. And still a lot to be added, among which another headliner.

Agree. I think we have to discuss about this kind of festivals... 

Major festivals like RW or Mad Cool focus more on lineup and they always have all the best artists touring. 

None that massively stand out for me, certainly none the strength of Mad Cool. Last year. Doctor Music probably the best. That said, I'd have a lot of fun with the Primavera line up this year.

• Upvote 1

A bit out of left field, but there's Paredes de Coura in Portugal with New Order, The National, Spiritualized, Patti Smith, Father John Misty and Car Seat Headrest among others

Edited by sinivali

I rarely go to see headliners on festivals, so there is really no competition for me, Primavera is my pick for this year.

• Upvote 1

Primavera as every year.

Others may have headliners as good or better but I don't just go to a festival for one act per day and the strength in depth every year far exceeds other festivals bar Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

Another one for DTRH.

id be there again this year but with glasto tickets the dates don’t work well

Decent line up + great festival is preferable to me over big name bands 

Cheers for responses! First response was to do an 'event' festival instead - but Sziget is just SO bad and Exit may be too dancey for my other half.

Can't make Primavera again as I'm going to Shindig over here.

Will have another look at Mad Cool, which I have been considering. The plus is that I haven't been before and the line-up is fairly decent. However, Madrid not a great place to make a holiday of it.

The minus is that Nos Alive has a similar line-up, but also boasts beaches (i want to go on holiday for a few days too), slightly lower temps, and Hot Chip and Cut Copy...

Edited by Homer

3 hours ago, alan_ts said:

Doctor Music is really good as well imo. 

This is certainly my favourite line-up - but quite a lot more expensive than the others for some reason! Also, not sure what the accommodation options will be like out there.

On the plus side, will probably be a lot more picturesque out there.

Anyone been?

wait on Lowlands and Pukkelpop before making a decision as well! Lowlands announces in 2 weeks I think

Southside/Hurricane looks good this year: Foo Fighters, the Cure, Tame Impala, Interpol arc

On the other hand, Rock Werchter is always a solid option

37 minutes ago, Homer said:

This is certainly my favourite line-up - but quite a lot more expensive than the others for some reason! Also, not sure what the accommodation options will be like out there.

On the plus side, will probably be a lot more picturesque out there.

Anyone been?

It will be the first edition since the 90s.. 

39 minutes ago, pryce said:

wait on Lowlands and Pukkelpop before making a decision as well! Lowlands announces in 2 weeks I think

Lowlands will announce next week, 30th! Pukkelpop will follow soon I hope/presume?

For me BBK is by far the most suitable. A few good rock bands, a few good hip hop artists and a few good electronic artists

• Upvote 2