Jump to content

Foals


RarerThanDandyB
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:
  Hide contents

I still think they are other headliner sized. Would probably be a better shout than returning as pyramid sub.

happy to be proven wrong though they were great on tv.

Id say they are a better 2021 headliner than a 2020 headliner

I agree with this as think it would be better gig for them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am a massive Foals fan so biased, but to me this was absolutely a statement of intent that they're ready to smash a headline pyramid slot.

I understand there are other factors at play, but compare the attendance to the Vampire Weekend secret slot, a band who subbed the Pyramid, and I think it's clear they can draw the crowd. Would be interested to see what a Foals Pyramid headline would look like as well, whether they'd stick to their normal formula or go for a few guests/gimmicks, assume the former. Foals forever!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2019 at 8:35 PM, Walter Sobchak said:

Is the sound better at the park now? Or couldn't all those poor bastards on the hill not hear a thing. 

 

I remember for the Radiohead secret set you couldn't hear much passed the mixing deck. 

I was on the hill, the wind was taking the sound the other direction so sadly it was quiet. I left after 30 mins to make sure i was in prime position for LG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Am a massive Foals fan so biased, but to me this was absolutely a statement of intent that they're ready to smash a headline pyramid slot. 

I understand there are other factors at play, but compare the attendance to the Vampire Weekend secret slot, a band who subbed the Pyramid, and I think it's clear they can draw the crowd. Would be interested to see what a Foals Pyramid headline would look like as well, whether they'd stick to their normal formula or go for a few guests/gimmicks, assume the former. Foals forever!

they need to bring back the TLF-era singles for a headline set IMO. Blue Blood, This Orient and Miami never getting an airing these days is annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they need to bring back the TLF-era singles for a headline set IMO. Blue Blood, This Orient and Miami never getting an airing these days is annoying.

Yeah I'd love an expanded set list over the albums, I just don't think TLF suits their current live 'arena rock band' vibe they're going for, far fewer technical math rock songs and more heavy bangers and a couple slow singalongs on the current tour. Black Gold has been a great surprise though, prob my favourite Foals track.

Was hoping they'd follow Vampire Weekend and do a little request part in their set, was all ready to shout Brazil is Here ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they need to bring back the TLF-era singles for a headline set IMO. Blue Blood, This Orient and Miami never getting an airing these days is annoying.

This Orient was dropped completely very early into the TLF tour. Don't think you'll ever see that again. 

In fact Setlist.com says they only ever played it live 20 times.

image.png.47a4bcfb7c5d505cae39ea18db22a3d9.png

Edited by briddj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Was gonna say I'm sure they played and c*cked it up on an important show so dropped it, might be a myth though

f.PNG

That's the alleged run - so it was played on the initial tour in the UK and hasn't been played since October 2010.

 

Edited by briddj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The thumb on that video from @ghostdancer1 reminds me I saw this beauty on Reddit the other day. Might’ve been posted on one of the Photos threads but I didn’t see it.

m953qy71iy731.jpg

I personally dont ever remember seeing a crowd that big at the park... even the hill was rammed. Time of day may have helped but it was no secret Foals were the TBA and they pulled a massive crowd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was my fave set of the weekend... they absolutely nailed it! I would love to see what they can do on the Pyramid in the dark with lights, longer set and maybe add something extra in there. 

The energy for the Park set was immense... the guitarist Jimmy Smiths fingers were bleeding all over the fucking place for fuck sake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

 

20190730_151453.png

Really hope its a great album. Its gonna get judged harsher than the last one as expectations were low for that one and it turned out really great, expectations are high now. C'mon Foals, don't balls it up like you did with What Went Down, lets get you top of the bill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

I saw Foals this weekend at Truck. I've always liked them but never had them down as pyramid headliners. Well, what can I say? Get them signed up! It was fucking  brilliant they'd smash it. 

Loads of bands are good live. Doesn’t mean they deserve to headline Glastonbury.

Other stage headliner is best for them in 2020.

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Loads of bands are good live. Doesn’t mean they deserve to headline Glastonbury.

I agree, I've seen many acts on the pyramid which arguably didn't deserve it. I didn't think they were the right band, but I saw something on Saturday which I think would translate really well to the pyramid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sprocketrocket said:

I agree, I've seen many acts on the pyramid which arguably didn't deserve it. I didn't think they were the right band, but I saw something on Saturday which I think would translate really well to the pyramid.

They’ve already played the pyramid and it wasn’t great. I was there. 

I am a Foals fan but I do think a lot of people on this forum are a bit deluded. Why are a band (who are now considered not even big enough to headline reading) being thrown around as a potential headliner for Glasto when they can comfortably play lower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

They’ve already played the pyramid and it wasn’t great. I was there. 

I am a Foals fan but I do think a lot of people on this forum are a bit deluded. Why are a band (who are now considered not even big enough to headline reading) being thrown around as a potential headliner for Glasto when they can comfortably play lower.

Says the guy who thought Supergrass would play third down the pyramid this morning.

(I know you took that back when you were corrected, I was joking but I don't know how to do the sticky tongue out emoji)

 

I really don't get this subs can't headline mentality though. Coz Ed was shit on the pyramid on a sunday afternoon and went on to headline. Basically the same argument you just gave about Foals can be given to the 1975 (who will headline at some point). I also don't think Foals' sub set was even that bad, seems like one of those things that's been repeated into reality round here.

Realistically we've been spoiled with superstars this decade, moving forward its time to look elsewhere I don't see why its deluded to think they might headline if they get everyone back on board with one album and crush it with some bangers that get airplay on a second after doing a secret set that has previously led to people headlining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I really don't get this subs can't headline mentality though. Coz Ed was shit on the pyramid on a sunday afternoon and went on to headline. Basically the same argument you just gave about Foals can be given to the 1975 (who will headline at some point). I also don't think Foals' sub set was even that bad, seems like one of those things that's been repeated into reality round here.

Realistically we've been spoiled with superstars this decade, moving forward its time to look elsewhere I don't see why its deluded to think they might headline if they get everyone back on board with one album and crush it with some bangers that get airplay on a second after doing a secret set that has previously led to people headlining.

Ed might have been shit on the pyramid and I agree but he then went on to have 3 of the best selling albums of the 2010s and one of the highest grossing tours of the century selling out stadiums across the world.

the 1975 might have been naff when they last played but they have had three 1 albums and are a huge ticket seller.

I’m not arguing about quality. I feel Foals would are a great band and I have enjoyed seeing them before. However, just because they are good doesn’t mean they are headline sized. They don’t match either of those bands that you’ve said in terms of success.

Foals have been on a commercial decline since 2013. They might be a great live band but outside this board a lot of people pay 0 attention to them.

we’ve been spoiled with superstars and there are still superstars to come. 

I think Foals fans need to stop trying to match fetch happen. If they were desperate there are plenty of acts they could call before resorting to Foals. 

I’m a Foals fan but I’m not going to succumb to fantasy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...