Foals

RarerThanDandyB

9 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m just back from Trnsmt. Foals did finish suddenly. Irony is the Strokes were 20 minutes late on anyway.

I'm guessing The Strokes' own lack of punctuality didn't help.

Was Foals' set block cut short? I did spot their Mad Cool set post-Killers was longer but maybe that was just timing.

Edited by charlierc

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm guessing The Strokes' own lack of punctuality didn't help.

Was Foals' set block cut short? I did spot their Mad Cool set post-Killers was longer but maybe that was just timing.

Not massively, they were supposed to finish at 2040 but went off at 2036 instead of playing Two Steps Twice with a very abrupt ‘we’re done, thanks.’ I guess playing TST would have taken them to about 2043 or so which was nixed.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Not massively, they were supposed to finish at 2040 but went off at 2036 instead of playing Two Steps Twice with a very abrupt ‘we’re done, thanks.’ I guess playing TST would have taken them to about 2043 or so which was nixed.

Any backstage team with sense would know that the strokes would be on late anyway! Not what they are angry about anyway

Sounds like the side of stage thing was a mistake linked to security more than anything 😕 certainly not the strokes at least.

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah - Two Steps is 4:40 on record according to Spotify but live certainly goes on for longer.

58 minutes ago, gfa said:

Any backstage team with sense would know that the strokes would be on late anyway! Not what they are angry about anyway

Sounds like the side of stage thing was a mistake linked to security more than anything 😕 certainly not the strokes at least.

I don’t know that much about it but it depends on the personalities I suppose. I’d been at the King Tuts stage before that for Maximo Park and they got the nod to go over by 5 minutes or so. If the Strokes management were putting pressure on maybe that had an effect. It may be a different thing that’s popped up on Twitter but they didn’t seem very happy, though I couldn’t tell exactly what Yannis said.

4 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I don’t know that much about it but it depends on the personalities I suppose. I’d been at the King Tuts stage before that for Maximo Park and they got the nod to go over by 5 minutes or so. If the Strokes management were putting pressure on maybe that had an effect. It may be a different thing that’s popped up on Twitter but they didn’t seem very happy, though I couldn’t tell exactly what Yannis said.

Yannis was annoyed about not being able to watch the strokes from side of stage as he didn't put his access pass on or something. nothing to do with them over-running

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Yannis was annoyed about not being able to watch the strokes from side of stage as he didn't put his access pass on or something. nothing to do with them over-running

I saw something about one of the tour managers responding. Could well be a storm in a teacup, but who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched this one back and it helped me solidify why the performance didn’t connect with me on the night. It wasn’t about the music, they were epic! Awesome arrangements, technical playing and energy. 

The problem for me was some production choices they made. They went heavy with visuals at the expense of lighting meaning the stage and audience were dark. Then to make matters worse, there was not a single close up shot of any band member at any point during the set. The screens behind them were visuals only and the side screens were in a permanent long shot. So from the crowd you couldn’t see anything that was happening. 

I think people criticised Radiohead’s 2017 performance for the same reason and I get now. Foals crushed that set musically, but I couldn’t see it and didn’t feel involved in it.