Foals

RarerThanDandyB

7 minutes ago, Soggy_feet said:

Just listened to a podcast with Jimmy from the band and he mentions at the end about Glastonbury and how much he is looking forward to it, how happy he is with the slot they have been given and it's one they have always wanted. Assume referring to headlining the other stage. 

I mean, I’m sure they were hoping for a shot at topping the pointy lad at one point, but now that those days are gone the Other Stage is the perfect place for them. Reckon they’ll nail it and draw a pretty decent crowd up against Billie. 

Do wish their setlists were a little more exciting/less stagnant these days, but I shouldn’t complain when they have as many bangers as they do now.

31 minutes ago, Soggy_feet said:

Just listened to a podcast with Jimmy from the band and he mentions at the end about Glastonbury and how much he is looking forward to it, how happy he is with the slot they have been given and it's one they have always wanted. Assume referring to headlining the other stage. 

They are going to smash it and will have a big crowd. If Sam Fender is a sub on that day, I can see a big movement towards Other after he finishes.

Edited by AlexOvd

Just now, BFisherr said:

Also, I'm a foals fan but they are not sounding particularly good here, backing vocals are ropey and Yannis seems a bit fed up, whole thing just comes across a bit flat? 

I thought the same about sounding a bit flat especially first two songs yannis guitar seemed too quiet but could just be the bbc mix being off. Nothing at all wrong with their sound when I saw them live last month. And I can imagine they will be way more up for it at Glasto than at big weekend

4 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

Also, I'm a foals fan but they are not sounding particularly good here, backing vocals are ropey and Yannis seems a bit fed up, whole thing just comes across a bit flat? 

The big weekend crowd is a bit naff. It’s because 90% of the tickets go to locals and barely any to mega fans. It will have an effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baggins7 said:

I thought the same about sounding a bit flat especially first two songs yannis guitar seemed too quiet but could just be the bbc mix being off. Nothing at all wrong with their sound when I saw them live last month. And I can imagine they will be way more up for it at Glasto than at big weekend

Big weekend does seem like a record company box ticking exercise so don’t blame them if they sound like they’d rather be elsewhere…

15 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

BBC mixing is generally quite poor imo, saw them on their uk tour just gone and they were really good. They'll be even better headlining the other stage!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The big weekend crowd is a bit naff. It’s because 90% of the tickets go to locals and barely any to mega fans. It will have an effect.

It seemed like a load of kids who had spent the week learning the words to the songs they were going to be singing along to at the weekend

Also noticeable that some of the acts that I've heard about but not seen before looked totally out of their comfort zone. Alfie Templeman could be great one day, but he looks very awkward on stage. The polished acts stood out a mile. I'm a Foals fan but was disappointed with them.

Edited by km9

14 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Big weekend does seem like a record company box ticking exercise so don’t blame them if they sound like they’d rather be elsewhere…

Definitely didn’t feel like they were half-arseing it in the actual tent. They were cracking.

Watching back some of the sets this morning and the crowds seem much quieter than they were in real life. BBC not doing themselves any favours there. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I expected to essentially hate this and think they should have gone away for a few years, but im pleasantly surprised 

Yep same. Wasn’t impressed with the singles too much, but they all seem to gel nicely on the album. Very summery sounds. Like it a lot on my first few listens. 

Edited by st dan

It’s okay. A lot of it kind of blurs together as they were obviously going after a specific summery festival banger sound and so left out their usual drawn out, atmospheric slower song(s) that every album has had, but there’s enough here to have some new setlist fillers, although not one I’ll be returning to too much I don’t think. 

Is it possible they're bringing parts of the London Contemporary Orchestra with them to Glastonbury? They posted a story indicating they were working with them a few weeks ago. At that time I assumed it was going to be some promotion for the album release, but so far nothing...