Foals

RarerThanDandyB

Went to Olympia on the Saturday and then Brixton last night. Have been going to see Foals since Antidotes and I'm a bit sick of the crowd theses days. I love a mosh pit as much as the next person and have nothing against circle pits but not every song requires 6 circle pits and shoving everyone else out of the way. They have ruined 2 Step, it's not a circle pit song. There was also an older guy who tried to pull the girl in front of me's trousers down when we were getting down for Spanish Sahara. I saw him, it was intentional. I caught him and told him it was absolutely fucking out of order and he feigned it was accidental. Absolute worst c**t. I only hope it didn't ruin the rest of her evening. 

34 minutes ago, Levitz said:

I caught him and told him it was absolutely fucking out of order and he feigned it was accidental. Absolute worst c**t. I only hope it didn't ruin the rest of her evening. 

Well that's grim. Props to you for calling him out on it! 

I don't understand how anyone can even begin to think that sort of behaviour is acceptable. 

On that topic, why is Spanish Sahara the new song for everyone to get down to? Doesn't make sense, it's slow, takes forever to get to the drop, and it kinda detracts from the atmosphere of the song. Make it Inhaler again, chaps

edit: I'm aware this is very "first world problems" compared to what happened there - I hope the woman in question is okay, and well done for calling out the shitty behaviour. Hopefully none of those bellends will appear in the glasto crowd

Edited by wro_lap

11 hours ago, wro_lap said:

On that topic, why is Spanish Sahara the new song for everyone to get down to? Doesn't make sense, it's slow, takes forever to get to the drop, and it kinda detracts from the atmosphere of the song. Make it Inhaler again, chaps

edit: I'm aware this is very "first world problems" compared to what happened there - I hope the woman in question is okay, and well done for calling out the shitty behaviour. Hopefully none of those bellends will appear in the glasto crowd

It was always Spanish Sahara for the get down in my experience. I think it's overdone now tbh.

I asked her a bit afterward if she was OK, and reassured her no-one could see anything. 

20 hours ago, Levitz said:

Went to Olympia on the Saturday and then Brixton last night. Have been going to see Foals since Antidotes and I'm a bit sick of the crowd theses days. I love a mosh pit as much as the next person and have nothing against circle pits but not every song requires 6 circle pits and shoving everyone else out of the way. They have ruined 2 Step, it's not a circle pit song. There was also an older guy who tried to pull the girl in front of me's trousers down when we were getting down for Spanish Sahara. I saw him, it was intentional. I caught him and told him it was absolutely fucking out of order and he feigned it was accidental. Absolute worst c**t. I only hope it didn't ruin the rest of her evening. 

Wow what a loser! We were positioned not far in front of the sound desk at Brixton and thought the crowd around us were great. Maybe you have outgrown the pit??

Great show, they've really stepped up the videos/lights this time around. Are they big enough to headline...?

3 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Ah, interesting. This tour has been my first experience of Sahara being the song to “get down” to. I dunno, it just kinda falls flat whereas with Inhaler/TST it’s a bit more powerful in my opinion

When you say ‘get down’ do you mean actually crouch down/jump back up Slipknot-style or something else? If it’s the former than I agree Spanish Sahara is a bit of a weird one to do it to (can’t remember if it was the case when I last saw them although I don’t remember doing it).

3 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Great show, they've really stepped up the videos/lights this time around. Are they big enough to headline...?

Yeah I agree the staging looks fantastic on this tour, some great pics have come from it.

It may not be cool enough for some (such as when Kasabian headlined), but I think Foals deserve the pyramid spotlight now and they have more than enough music to smash it.

Spanish Sahara was the song people got down for back in the Holy Fire tour; seemed to be a switch to Inhaler around the release of What Went Down.

People also used to open the pit and hit their hands on the floor like a drumming circle during Two Steps Twice, but that hasn't really happened for about 8 years now (was better to do this on grass than on a hard floor)

5 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Wow what a loser! We were positioned not far in front of the sound desk at Brixton and thought the crowd around us were great. Maybe you have outgrown the pit??

I mean, that should be true! I should've outgrown it a long time ago, but I always end up there even if I don't start there. But it's multiple circle pits and where the song doesn't merit it (IMHO) it just gets tired. Other bands (Idles, Frank Carter for example) I don't have an issue at all. Maybe it's just the change over the years for Foals, I mean they were 'mathrock' when I first went to see them. I fully acknowledge it might just be my issue.

Although I love them and have been to every tour they have pretty much ever done from pubs/clubs to headlining festivals, I think I'm going to give them a miss at Glastonbury (and I always go if they are on and I'm there) and hang out with Billie. 

PS the lighting/staging was great. 

16 minutes ago, Radiochicken said:

They’ve played the same setlist every gig. Going to need to see some evidence of changing it up before Glasto, otherwise I’ll be elsewhere. Fine with seeing a band twice, but not exactly the same show. 

It’ll be exactly the same minus a few of the lesser known ones imo - Birch Tree, Providence, Late Night, Black Gold all have a high likelihood of getting the chop I reckon. Other than that I think it’ll be identical; a festival isn’t the place to fuck around and not play the hits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

It’ll be exactly the same minus a few of the lesser known ones imo - Birch Tree, Providence, Late Night, Black Gold all have a high likelihood of getting the chop I reckon. Other than that I think it’ll be identical; a festival isn’t the place to fuck around and not play the hits. 

I mean they’ve got quite a big catalogue now! Obvs don’t touch the last half an hour, but surely even they’d want to mix it up a bit from show to show.

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

They’ve played the same setlist every gig. Going to need to see some evidence of changing it up before Glasto, otherwise I’ll be elsewhere. Fine with seeing a band twice, but not exactly the same show. 

That’s not true. The first 2 nights (both Edinburgh) were mixed up a bit. I haven’t checked others since. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, FloorFiller said:

When you say ‘get down’ do you mean actually crouch down/jump back up Slipknot-style or something else? If it’s the former than I agree Spanish Sahara is a bit of a weird one to do it to (can’t remember if it was the case when I last saw them although I don’t remember doing it).

yes, the former. foals are one of few artists i've actually enjoyed that with when they've done it for one of their heavier songs

On 5/10/2022 at 4:26 PM, FloorFiller said:

their last 30 min run of: late night > Spanish Sahara > providence > inhaler // encore // black bull > wwd > two steps

was so killer no filler I cant see them switching that up... (And actually the Wake me up > the runner > mountain at my gates was an immediate crowd on side opening)

as for the tour... birch tree was played in place of new 'life is yours' at the sat Olympia show but at brixton life is yours was played, no birch tree, and no looking high - just did one less song. think it's been pretty random what combo of those 3 tracks appear...

feel like 2001 will be kept for Glasto, and then the 3 singles with looking high poss swapped?? WHO KNOWs!

Just listened to a podcast with Jimmy from the band and he mentions at the end about Glastonbury and how much he is looking forward to it, how happy he is with the slot they have been given and it's one they have always wanted. Assume referring to headlining the other stage.