Foals

RarerThanDandyB

The people shouting down their chances are way more gammony. Like, everyone arguing their case knows that it comes with something of a leap of faith but they are well-positioned to be given just that. It's quite clearly not fucking delusional to say they're up there and in the conversation with all the headline slots they've copped to date and the lack of other big British guitar acts knocking at the door.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The people shouting down their chances are way more gammony. Like, everyone arguing their case knows that it comes with something of a leap of faith but they are well-positioned to be given just that. It's quite clearly not fucking delusional to say they're up there and in the conversation with all the headline slots they've copped to date and the lack of other big British guitar acts knocking at the door.

I strongly disagree but I think this may just be a debate that remains ongoing.

It’s not gammony to disagree that Foals are headline sized. Just because there’s fewer guitar bands around doesn’t mean Foals deserve to headline out of sympathy.

They’d be the first Glastonbury headliner in a long time to never have had a UK #1 album. Even in their peak they failed to get one.

They’d be calling up Catfish before calling Foals to headline.

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not What I Said of the Year Award

I’m saying that if anyone is being sneery and stubborn in this argument, it’s not the pro-headliner peoples.

I don’t think anyone is being sneery or stubborn - I just think that Foals get this strange treatment here that they are owed a headline slot. 

Foals could headline the other in 2020 and this forum would probably still put them in their headline predictions for 2022.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t really see how those two statements relate.

Outside this board a lot of people don’t know who Nick Cave is but he can still pull a crowd at Glastonbury. It doesn’t mean he is headline level though.

I’m not saying that Foals are completely irrelevant. They’ve lacked in major commercial success but they have a strong enough following for an other headline or pyramid sub. 

If you’re posting that pic to suggest that despite these factors Foals can garner major crowds why aren’t the other major festivals snapping them up? Why haven’t they headlined a major UK festival since 2016?

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Outside this board a lot of people don’t know who Nick Cave is but he can still pull a crowd at Glastonbury. It doesn’t mean he is headline level though.

I’m not saying that Foals are completely irrelevant. They’ve lacked in major commercial success but they have a strong enough following for an other headline or pyramid sub. 

If you’re posting that pic to suggest that despite these factors Foals can garner major crowds why aren’t the other major festivals snapping them up? Why haven’t they headlined a major UK festival since 2016?

You seem to be continually implying that Foals are only a concern on here, which is so far wide of the mark. They’re not even particularly beloved on here.

And what other major festivals? Can you not see that the old ‘majors’ have mostly either died or are sharing headliners with fests you wouldn’t consider ‘major’ anyway? Which frees up acts like Ezra, the Gallagher and Foals to fill their boots with non-exclusive shows and make a heap of cash.

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

They pulled the biggest crowd ive ever seen in the park field with an afternoon slot this year. It was also the best performance of the week for me! The new album part 1 is fucking brilliant and has propelled them right back to the top in my opinion. If this part 2 is as good (they say it more bangers than part 1 which is interesting) they will riding that wave and are bang in line to headline the Pyramid... 

I think the biggest 2 factors will be who the other headliners are... Glasto have taken to trying to get a mix of genres these days so if they fit in that trio they are in with a very good chance. And with it being 50th anniversary.... everything could go out the window and all 3 headline acts are "legend" stature... i.e Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Macca etc etc 

1 hour ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I just can't see Foals headlining next year, if anything they'll headline the Other 

I just don’t see how that happens. They don’t particularly need to come back in a consecutive non-headline slot, if they have to be pencilled in to sub as a backup headliner then there’s that, but I don’t see how they end up on the Other Stage.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

You seem to be continually implying that Foals are only a concern on here, which is so far wide of the mark. They’re not even particularly beloved on here.

And what other major festivals? Can you not see that the old ‘majors’ have mostly either died or are sharing headliners with fests you wouldn’t consider ‘major’ anyway? Which frees up acts like Ezra, the Gallagher and Foals to fill their boots with non-exclusive shows and make a heap of cash.

Well for one TRNSMT, IOW, Park Life, All Points East didn’t book them. Heck even before Bestival was scrapped they were never brought back to headline.

What I am implying is that if Foals are not considered a strong enough booking nowadays for those festivals above and deemed not strong enough to return to Reading as an outright headliner - why are they a headliner for Glastonbury?

The only argument I can really see is that they’ve put in a good performance which got a big crowd. Loads of bands do that - doesn’t mean they are headliners!

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I just don’t see how that happens. They don’t particularly need to come back in a consecutive non-headline slot, if they have to be pencilled in to sub as a backup headliner then there’s that, but I don’t see how they end up on the Other Stage.

They're not exactly a headliner sized band, if they were then surely fests bigger than the likes of Truck, Y Not etc would be booking them to headline? They'd headline any stage they played at Glasto except for the Pyramid. Compare them to any headliner in the last 10 years and they're nowhere near as big. 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well for one TRNSMT, IOW, Park Life, All Points East didn’t book them. Heck even before Bestival was scrapped they were never brought back to headline.

What I am implying is that if Foals are not considered a strong enough booking nowadays for those festivals above and deemed not strong enough to return to Reading as an outright headliner - why are they a headliner for Glastonbury?

The only argument I can really see is that they’ve put in a good performance which got a big crowd. Loads of bands do that - doesn’t mean they are headliners!

Some fuzzy logic there... What criteria do they have to meet to be "good enough"?? 

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You’ve cherry picked the festivals they haven’t played.  Boardmasters has a higher capacity than most of those. And who says they won’t return to Reading and Leeds as a headliner? This summer was the first summer of the first album since - it’d be entirely unusual for them to return there already.

1 minute ago, rawrsomesauce said:

They're not exactly a headliner sized band, if they were then surely fests bigger than the likes of Truck, Y Not etc would be booking them to headline? They'd headline any stage they played at Glasto except for the Pyramid. Compare them to any headliner in the last 10 years and they're nowhere near as big. 

I don’t see any connection between this and my post that you quoted.

I’m not sinking another 10,000 posts into another Foals headline argument. All I am wanting to say is that they’re clearly in the conversation and some people are doing the most to dismiss them. People out there in the world don’t see much difference whether The 1975 are given the gig or whether Foals are given the gig, because they don’t paw over CD sales and venue sizes. If y’all don’t think it’s coming then fine but chill.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Have you considered that they might wanna do these festivals after part 2 of the album comes out? They'll have 2 albums to tour, it's probably gonna be a lengthy tour including a big summer where they'll cover off a lot of festivals that they haven't played this year.

Edited by The Martini Police

8 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

They're not exactly a headliner sized band, if they were then surely fests bigger than the likes of Truck, Y Not etc would be booking them to headline?

To be fair, festivals larger than those have booked them to headline - R&L, Boardmasters, Bestival (before it downsized).

I really dislike the "they can't do it because they only did X" argument. It makes no sense. Everywhere is different. If you're going to rule people out, use a Glastonbury relevant metric, like the wave of disinterest that greeted Nick Cave when he appeared this year.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

To be fair, festivals larger than those have booked them to headline - R&L, Boardmasters, Bestival (before it downsized).

I really dislike the "they can't do it because they only did X" argument. It makes no sense. Everywhere is different. If you're going to rule people out, use a Glastonbury relevant metric, like the wave of disinterest that greeted Nick Cave when he appeared this year.

Correct thats why I said he has some seriously fuzzy logic. 

This years fetsivals will have all mostly been booked before the new album came out. Now that album has been a big hit and there is a second part to come... I would put money on all the festivals he mentioned chomping at the bit to get them for 2020 

13 minutes ago, incident said:

You can't call that a wave of disinterest. It was a Kylie crowd. Also, there was a good bit of excitement where we were.