Foals

RarerThanDandyB

Looking foward to giving the album a spin after reading the positive comments. Going to see them in Newcastle next month. A run of Suede, The Specials and Foals playing their new albums, in the space if a few weeks. Canny excited!

3 hours ago, briddj said:

I tell you what though, I absolutely hate the bullshit of people sitting down for the first half of Spanish Sahara. Piss off.

We we’re right next to this, on the right hand side where people stopped joining in haha.

Another thing as well, maybe I’m just grumpy, but is it not really annoying to yell song names at them to play, I’m all for speculating a set list but if I were a musician and people just shouted requests at me I’d get the right hump! 

22 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

We we’re right next to this, on the right hand side where people stopped joining in haha.

Another thing as well, maybe I’m just grumpy, but is it not really annoying to yell song names at them to play, I’m all for speculating a set list but if I were a musician and people just shouted requests at me I’d get the right hump! 

I was looking enviously across at you lot on the right in your lovely standing position, able to enjoy the first part of the song without fearing a knee would seize up or you'd lose your balance and look like an utter nob! 

Maaaaan this album is a fucking BELTER. I was listening to it driving home today and I literally drove past my street so I wouldn't have to turn it off. In degrees is the best thing they've done in ages. Other stage headliners please and thank you!

7 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

It really feels like they've taken a step back to where they began and have managed to integrate that into their modern sound which has a refreshing feel. They definitely seem to have found something that works for them & they are comfortable with. 

I've only just got in for the first time and listening to the record in full at last, but this is exactly in words how I felt about what I heard from the 3 tracks released before the album.  I'm really pleased to come to this forum and read that people are also loving the new work.

I've only seen them live a couple of times, the last couple of times they've played the farm and very much enjoyed what I saw but I'd be very excited to see them at this point in their career, they have very much come of age with this record I suspect.

I don't see why Glasto doesn't just give Foals a headline slot this year ahead of The Killers (who lets be honest are still living off the first five songs on their debut from 15 years ago), the new album is great and they're easily as big as Kings of Leon and Muse when they both first headlined. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Like everyone else absolutely loving ‘In Degrees’, just wish it had that drop (if that’s what you call it) at 1:40 again at the end of the song. It builds up to it, think it’s coming and then the song just ends!

Some real dirty early house vibes going on in In Degrees. Superb.

• Upvote 1

I don’t usually like commenting on a new album until I’ve given it at least 3 proper spins as I find opinion can change however after 2 listens this album is a cracker. If this was released end of last year I definitely think they’d be in with a shot of headlining Glastonbury, however maybe it’s a bit late unless they took a punt. Mad to see the festivals they are headlining this year, those festivals have hit the jackpot for their size!

10 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I don't see why Glasto doesn't just give Foals a headline slot this year ahead of The Killers (who lets be honest are still living off the first five songs on their debut from 15 years ago), the new album is great and they're easily as big as Kings of Leon and Muse when they both first headlined. 

So no different then, a band living off their 1st album with the last two being mediocre....even FloorFiller made a comment to suggest that a while back.

10 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I agree. They smashed reading and the new album is awesome. If fucking stormzy can do it?!!!

Emily stated they have struggled a bit more for the Pyramid this year, not so much for the Other...need anymore proof?!

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So no different then, a band living off their 1st album with the last two being mediocre....even FloorFiller made a comment to suggest that a while back.

To be fair, they’ve done exactly what I (and many others I presume) didn’t expect them to do and have released one of the best albums of their careers, and with another new one only a few months away who’s to say they couldn’t totally reignite interest/hope in becoming a major headliner? I doubt we’ll see them topping the bill at the 2020 festival as those spaces are probably all booked up with some big names and I think they’ll be on the farm this year instead, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them top Reading/Leeds outright next year, and maybe Glastonbury come the next album. 

Complete 180 from what I was saying not long ago, but the album has really taken me by surprise after Exits left me thinking they were all out of creative juice.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To be fair, they’ve done exactly what I (and many others I presume) didn’t expect them to do and have released one of the best albums of their careers, and with another new one only a few months away who’s to say they couldn’t totally reignite interest/hope in becoming a major headliner? 

Complete 180 from what I was saying not long ago, but the album has really taken me by surprise after Exits left me thinking they were all out of creative juice.

Happy to hold my hands up as one of the doubters, right up until yesterday morning, but I agree 100% with your last sentence. Nice to be proved wrong on this occasion. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Emily stated they have struggled a bit more for the Pyramid this year, not so much for the Other...need anymore proof?!

When did she stage this?

Trying to think if anyone has ever headlined The Other stage then gone on to top the big one? 

I know it’s been done in reverse. 

Do you reckon they would swerve headlining The Other stage so they could hold off for The Pyramid? 

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Trying to think if anyone has ever headlined The Other stage then gone on to top the big one? 

I know it’s been done in reverse. 

Do you reckon they would swerve headlining The Other stage so they could hold off for The Pyramid? 

The Prodigy?

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

95>97.

You are very right. Didn’t realise they’d topped The Other in 95 as well as 2009.

Anyway, just one band, so if they have ambitions of topping the big one, probably best if they swerve The Other. 

2 hours ago, sisco said:

When did she stage this?

It was an interview about the line-up a while back and how the Other stage etc was okay but they were having more trouble with the Pyramid side of things and mentioned everyone wanting to play next year on the 50th anniversary instead.

I'd not say Stormzy was a replacement but I'd certainly suggest they've taken the the decision to bump up a British act of that genre in the time when booking wasn't quite as easy. Say one of McCartney, Madonna, FM or even Arctic Monkeys as examples available this year wanting to do it then there is no chance Stormzy gets booked above sub. Reading will probably have him next year don't get me wrong but I don't think they would have booked him to headline this year at least not outright given they've got 3 hugely bigger ticket sellers.

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Are you suggestion Holy Fire was a mediocre album?? ? I agree the last one wasn't as strong but Foals are a solid live band they just haven't quite got the transition to bigger stages yet.

This album is superb so hoping it gives them that last push they need as they certain have some great songs across all their albums tbh